What are you watching? a.k.a. Film Thread v 2.0

21 hours ago, Amir said:

I think I laughed more at Ant-Man, but they're both 7/10s for me. I would say that compared to the Marvel-Disney films it was about as good as Ant-Man and Winter Solider.

I prefer X2 and DoFP from the Fox films (8/10s for me).

You're right.  I would consider Deadpool as good as Ant-Man.  I had more fun with the latter to be honest, but I wasn't rating them on the sole "omg so funny" basis.  Winter Soldier remains the best M-D film for me.

Loved DoFP and First Class.

20 hours ago, Slash787 said:

I was pretty surprised that Ant man was actually good and entertaining. For Dead Pool they really went out of the way to promote it, but while watching it, it was funny, but not out of the world. 

Yep, I expected something better.  The hype was incredible.  There's no game-changing going on with that movie.

I'd seen it before.

It is completely ahead of its time in its depiction of New York ethnic types. 64ish? We are not far away from those Bette Davis Uncle Tom servants baking the apple pie chronologically, yet here you have not only the first nudity scene in a major film, but a nudity scene from a black prostitute. And then there is the depiction of post-Holocaust trauma in a French New Wave manner.

Finally got around to watching "Hellboy II: The Golden Army" the other day. Pretty decent movie, though it doesn't top the first one. The quips and the pacing were still good, but it seemed a bit too unintentionally cheesy at some points, which I feel like the first one avoided pretty well.

Fail Safe

If you have seen Strangelove, you have to see this, very much Strangelove's more serious cousin. Gripping psychological cold war thriller with a chilling ending.

Network

Wonderful satire and unbelievably crazy acting performances from Dunaway, Finch - just about everyone in the film to be honest. Although it is very much a 1970s America piece, post Nam/Watergate, etc., it is also weirdly prescient to our modern age also. Yes it is not the most taut or structured of films, it is a bit all over the place in truth, but you can forgive it this.

Edited by DieselDaisy
added some little reviews old boy
  • Like 1

Watched quite a few films yesterday;

THE VISITOR

Poignant drama about a lonely college professor who finds a Syrian refugee couple in his second apartment and decides to help them. Stars Walking Dead's Michonne. An ok independent-type movie type deal.

Horrible Bosses

Felt like the movie couldn't make up its mind between comedy or black comedy, but still had some laughs and a good cast. And I usually hate Jennifer Anniston in movies, but here she was great, as was Kevin Spacey.

THE INTOUCHABLES

French movie about a rich quadriplegic who gives a young black youth from Paris a job as caretaker. Overall pretty funny and uplifting feel good movie with great chemistry between the two leads.

Edited by Bumblefeet

1 hour ago, Bumblefeet said:

Watched quite a few films yesterday;

Horrible Bosses

Felt like the movie couldn't make up its mind between comedy or black comedy, but still had some laughs and a good cast. And I usually hate Jennifer Anniston in movies, but here she was great, as was Kevin Spacey.

Horrible Bosses was pretty good, it gave me a good laugh, on the other hand part 2 sucked big time.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Slash787 said:

Horrible Bosses was pretty good, it gave me a good laugh, on the other hand part 2 sucked big time.

Thanks for the heads up, didn't even know it had a sequel but will avoid. Not in the mood for another "hangover 2" experience.

Went and saw The Brothers Grimsby on Friday night. I thought it was pretty good, probably my favorite SBC film besides Borat. The elephant bukkake scene was ridiculously over the top, but hilarious. Mark Strong deserves some sort of award for being able to keep a straight face through it all.

17 hours ago, Powerage5 said:

Went and saw The Brothers Grimsby on Friday night. I thought it was pretty good, probably my favorite SBC film besides Borat. The elephant bukkake scene was ridiculously over the top, but hilarious. Mark Strong deserves some sort of award for being able to keep a straight face through it all.

Is it any good?  I live in Grimsby and none of it was actually filmed here!

21 minutes ago, AndyM said:

Is it any good?  I live in Grimsby and none of it was actually filmed here!

Yeah, like I said I'd probably rank it second to Borat of his films. Definitely better than The Dictator, even though I liked that one.