What are you watching? a.k.a. Film Thread v 2.0

Alfred Hitchcock's Young and Innocent (1937)

The murderer... :lol:

Not the most engaging of Hitchcock's "British period" but worth watching all the same. It's still got that distinct suspense feeling that only Hitchcock can grant with two endearing leads and great acting. My only real problem is that my copy of it is on one of those bargain DVD sets so it was almost painful to watch but alas some of the better restorations of early Hitchcock come at a very high price.

• Like 1

Not the most engaging of Hitchcock's "British period" but worth watching all the same. It's still got that distinct suspense feeling that only Hitchcock can grant with two endearing leads and great acting. My only real problem is that my copy of it is on one of those bargain DVD sets so it was almost painful to watch but alas some of the better restorations of early Hitchcock come at a very high price.

I love that film. The Drummer Boy.

• Like 1

I love that film. The Drummer Boy.

The impressive swooping shot for 1937 standards to reveal the drummer... and he's wearing blackface. You go from being impressed to remembering it truly is 1937. :lol:

Rewatched Jackie Brown and it's amazing to see how tight a movie Tarrantino used to be able to make; no superfluous scenes, dialogue or racial charged words for shock value. Robert Forster was amazing as well; I'd love for him to work with Quentin again.

• Like 1

I thought Hateful was pretty tight. The only bit that seemed indulgent was Tim Roth's speech about justice.

I love Walton Goggins since Justified so I enjoyed his performance. And SLJ character was intricate. Kurt and Bruce were good. I enjoy the layers.

Rewatched Jackie Brown and it's amazing to see how tight a movie Tarrantino used to be able to make; no superfluous scenes, dialogue or racial charged words for shock value. Robert Forster was amazing as well; I'd love for him to work with Quentin again.

When it was released reviews were saying it had an hour of uselessness in it. I think Hateful Eight is a good example of a movie by him where nothing is superfluous as much as JB.

Edited by Len B'stard

When it was released reviews were saying it had an hour of uselessness in it. I think Hateful Eight is a good example of a movie by him where nothing is superfluous as much as JB.

Seems like people either don't like it and rank it near the bottom or love it and rank it high. I personally love it. That trinity of Dogs, Pup, JB is my favorite of his.

It's hard to beat Samuel L Jackson rolling through Compton late at night bumping Johnny Cash.

• Like 2

Sabotage (1936)

Another Hitchcock thriller from his British days. This is definitely one of his darker films and what a ride it is. It also has some pretty neat special effects for the time period. It truly reminds me of a modern terrorist thriller. As usual, Hitchcock was ahead of his time. Granted, this was adapted from a Conrad novel.

• Like 1

I love all of Hitch's British Gaumont work. In my opinion they are the greatest British films ever produced.

I'm slowly working my way through all of them. Unfortunately, only a few of his British films have found their way onto officially released DVDs and Blu-ray in North America. The rest are only available in the plethora of bootleg Hitchcock DVD sets, often in barely watchable quality. I've loved what I've seen so far so I should really invest in a region free player to buy the UK releases. Either that, or Criterion needs to hurry up and do one mass box set of them all.

I love all of Hitch's British Gaumont work. In my opinion they are the greatest British films ever produced.

I'm slowly working my way through all of them. Unfortunately, only a few of his British films have found their way onto officially released DVDs and Blu-ray in North America. The rest are only available in the plethora of bootleg Hitchcock DVD sets, often in barely watchable quality. I've loved what I've seen so far so I should really invest in a region free player to buy the UK releases. Either that, or Criterion needs to hurry up and do one mass box set of them all.

You can - almost - own every film he did by simply buying four big boxsets,

British International Pictures films, latter silents and earliest talkies,

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Early-Hitchcock-Collection-DVD/dp/B000KRMZMY/ref=sr_1_sc_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1453410513&sr=8-4-spell&keywords=hitchcock+boxset

Gainsborough, very earliest silents and later Gaumont espionage films - oh, and ehh, Jamaica Inn!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hitchcock-British-Years-DVD-Alfred/dp/B00113NWUK/ref=sr_1_sc_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1453410659&sr=8-3-spell&keywords=hitchcock+british+boxset

Four Warners films and North by NorthWest which was the only film he made for MGM

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Alfred-Hitchcock-Signature-Collection/dp/B002L7O7YU/ref=pd_bxgy_74_img_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=0WE85XH1H0SMK6FEV3W2

The rest of his American films sans the five films in the above boxset, including all of his Paramount masterpieces,

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hitchcock-Disc-Box-Set-DVD/dp/B000BND224/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1453410686&sr=8-1&keywords=hitchcock+boxset

If you have them four, you are only missing (I think) Juno and the Paycock, Lifeboat, Mr and Mrs Smith, Foreign Correspondent, Under Capricorn and To Catch A Thief which can all be picked up individually. The most recent DVD of Lifeboat has the two French resistance shorts also. You only lack Waltzes from Vienna which can be only picked up on French or German import I believe (I still lack it myself).

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Like 1

You can - almost - own every film he did by simply buying four big boxsets,

British International Pictures films, latter silents and earliest talkies,

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Early-Hitchcock-Collection-DVD/dp/B000KRMZMY/ref=sr_1_sc_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1453410513&sr=8-4-spell&keywords=hitchcock+boxset

Gainsborough, very earliest silents and later Gaumont espionage films - oh, and ehh, Jamaica Inn!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hitchcock-British-Years-DVD-Alfred/dp/B00113NWUK/ref=sr_1_sc_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1453410659&sr=8-3-spell&keywords=hitchcock+british+boxset

Four Warners films and North by NorthWest which was the only film he made for MGM

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Alfred-Hitchcock-Signature-Collection/dp/B002L7O7YU/ref=pd_bxgy_74_img_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=0WE85XH1H0SMK6FEV3W2

The rest of his American films sans the five films in the above boxset, including all of his Paramount masterpieces,

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hitchcock-Disc-Box-Set-DVD/dp/B000BND224/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1453410686&sr=8-1&keywords=hitchcock+boxset

If you have them four, you are only missing (I think) Juno and the Paycock, Lifeboat, Mr and Mrs Smith, Foreign Correspondent, Under Capricorn and To Catch A Thief which can all be picked up individually. The most recent DVD of Lifeboat has the two French resistance shorts also. You only lack Waltzes from Vienna which can be only picked up on French or German import I believe (I still lack it myself).

Thanks for the info! If I get the region thing sorted it I'll definitely look into buying those first two sets. I wish it were that easy in North America. Granted, we have some excellent sets of his American films (including a nice 15 film Blu-ray set) so I do own almost all of his American films on Blu and/or DVD (I just need to fill in the gaps with a handful of singles - I passed in the big set because I had already started with smaller Blu sets). It's the British ones that are harder to get because like I said, most do not have an official release here.

I should really make a check list of what I have and what I don't. I'd like to come as close as possible to owning them all.