What are you watching? a.k.a. Film Thread v 2.0

Creed

Cheesy. I want Len to see this because there has been a number of years where a particular type of boxer - usually always tattooed, northern, football mad, pasty (in than, incapable of getting a tan way) and from an Irish gene pool - has had a degree of success. British crowds are particularly boorish. We, the Brits, are in essence the bad guys here. We are Ivan Drago. And it is full of hippy hoppy stuff. It is America vs a typical brand of British boxing culture.

I've seen it. There's a boxer in that, acting, who is a real fighter called Andre Ward who you should check out, undefeated with the style of a middleweight Mayweather.

What did you think of the depiction of our tattooed moron boxing culture?

Creed

Cheesy. I want Len to see this because there has been a number of years where a particular type of boxer - usually always tattooed, northern, football mad, pasty (in than, incapable of getting a tan way) and from an Irish gene pool - has had a degree of success. British crowds are particularly boorish. We, the Brits, are in essence the bad guys here. We are Ivan Drago. And it is full of hippy hoppy stuff. It is America vs a typical brand of British boxing culture.

I've seen it. There's a boxer in that, acting, who is a real fighter called Andre Ward who you should check out, undefeated with the style of a middleweight Mayweather.

What did you think of the depiction of our tattooed moron boxing culture?

I thought it was quite lightweight? I found myself supporting Tony Bellew actually :lol: And i was right to cuz he wins, doesn't he? Englands best kept secret (that its working classes are horrible) is starting to become obvious :lol: More swearing from Bellew would've made it better. 'You Daddys drawers ain't gonna fuckin' help you here, sambo' :lol:

Edited by Len B'stard

Trumbo - total wash. Cranston can't salvage uninspired direction and an ironically dull screenplay.

Room - hard going but rewarding. Larson is wonderful.

Steve Jobs - nifty structure and reliably brilliant Sorkin dialogue.

Brooklyn - wtf is the big deal here!? It makes a sweet Saturday matinee for your grandma, sure, but to be in the best picture conversation? And over fucking Sicario!?!?

• Like 1

Sisters.

I was disappointed. I like Tina Fey's stuff but the middle third of the movie went on way too long. The whole "coming of age" story was dropped in favour of slapstick party humour of the same recycled jokes for over an hour. The ending seemed rushed as a result. Funny, but not what it could have been considering the cast and supporting players.

The Krays

Rise of the Krays

Fall of the Krays

The old original Kemp film is sentimental, focusing as it does on the mother and family. It is rather historically inaccurate; Ronnie's incarnation and insanity do not seem to happen; their smokey billiards club (The Regal) is rather compounded with their later glitzier night club ventures; killings are amalgamated; events telescoped. Nonetheless, it I do feel the depiction of England is more accurate, more so the England of that era than the other films discussed. It feels more like the environment of The Krays. It is not cartoonish in the slightest, so there is a realism there of sorts. It even looks like the England of today. A depiction of the Krays today (see below) would not concern itself with endless cups of tea and eccentric aunts and that is what this film does well, and that is indeed the historical environment of The Krays.

The Rise and Fall are a Scorsese-esque versions of the same events. They are far more historically accurate than the above in regards to events and have a longer breadth with which to depict events. Reggie's actor is a little on the weak side, a little boyish. Ronnie's is a superb performance but rather reminded be of Phil Daniels. It is a bit cartoon-esque in parts and follows well known paths but ultimately, I was very impressed.

Sadly, I am struggling to find a decent copy of Legend.

Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS

A historically accurate depiction of the Third Reich.

The Krays

Rise of the Krays

Fall of the Krays

The old original Kemp film is sentimental, focusing as it does on the mother and family. It is rather historically inaccurate; Ronnie's incarnation and insanity do not seem to happen; their smokey billiards club (The Regal) is rather compounded with their later glitzier night club ventures; killings are amalgamated; events telescoped. Nonetheless, it I do feel the depiction of England is more accurate, more so the England of that era than the other films discussed. It feels more like the environment of The Krays. It is not cartoonish in the slightest, so there is a realism there of sorts. It even looks like the England of today. A depiction of the Krays today (see below) would not concern itself with endless cups of tea and eccentric aunts and that is what this film does well, and that is indeed the historical environment of The Krays.

The Rise and Fall are a Scorsese-esque versions of the same events. They are far more historically accurate than the above in regards to events and have a longer breadth with which to depict events. Reggie's actor is a little on the weak side, a little boyish. Ronnie's is a superb performance but rather reminded be of Phil Daniels. It is a bit cartoon-esque in parts and follows well known paths but ultimately, I was very impressed.

Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS

I've not seen Fall, saw Rise and Legend though and obviously the Spanner Ballet brothers one. The best bit about that one is the speech by their Mum about the war and the dead babies and men and how they never grow up.

Iylsas just plain hilairious with the Steve McQueen wannabe with the never-ending boners :lol:

Edited by Len B'stard

The Krays

Rise of the Krays

Fall of the Krays

Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS

I've not seen Fall, saw Rise and Legend though and obviously the Spanner Ballet brothers one. The best bit about that one is the speech by their Mum about the war and the dead babies and men and how they never grow up.

Iylsas just plain hilairious with the Steve McQueen wannabe with the never-ending boners :lol:

The Kemp one is sort of has a feminist message, delivered through the old women: ''men are children..they never grow up''. It focuses on the woman more than The Krays - there is something about the kitchen sink drama about it. It is very British.

Have you ever had a pint in The Blind Beggar?