What are you watching? a.k.a. Film Thread v 2.0

The Mack

Masterpiece

Slaughter

Decent

Friday Foster

Shite but Grier's mammaries keeps one interested.

Holy shit i was finally able to see Pam Grier's tits.

Thank you

You do not have to look very hard to find examples of that. In the '70s Grier was always getting her tits out. Don't forget she was in those female prison films and other sexploitation films like that film where she plays a female gladiator.

Big Doll House

- Gloriously trashy. Greatest film ever made. Grier even sings the theme tune.

Hit Man

- It is difficult to choose between this and Get Carter but it suffices to say that although the content is the same, the aesthetics are so different that I am glad we have two films. I perhaps would give the nod to Carter but this is still a great film. I first saw this on Channel Four when they used to put those seasons on in the '90s - ''Blaxploitation night'. Get your VHS read chaps. I think they showed Super Fly and Sweet Back if memory serves.

Death Proof

- Filled in my last Tarantino gap with this viewing. It is rather like gate crashing your sister and friends' conversations. Tedious beyond belief, and a little bit embarrassing if truth be told. He must have been drunk when he made this? I was just bored for most of the film.

Edited by DieselDaisy

ATM

Not bad but didn't end well. I dvr'd it so I did speed it up a lot.

I watched it, but who was that guy? Some cop? I did see a badge at the end.

You never find out. I just figured he was some nut who went to different places at night and killed or terrified people. I hate endings like that. He had that storage place with different places that he either was there already or was planning to go. It looked like he would make sure he never appeared on camera.

I felt bad for the kid that was blamed for it all, but honestly, I think once the cops hear his story and he gets a good lawyer, I think they will realize he never killed anyone.

I also want to know where that poor dog went?

Also, I don't think that killer realized that the door to the ATM was broken or if he did, he didn't plan on going in and didn't do anything crazy until the cameras were out.

Will there be an ATM 2? lol God, I hope not, unless the cops get that guy.

Grabbers It was a movie either from Ireland or the UK about aliens landing on an Irish Island.

Some of the things the characters said made me laugh out loud. It was a good movie. It kept my interest and it was on Chiller.

Hammer (1972)

Good Blaxploitation boxing film starring Fred Williamson. Great soundtrack also by Solomon Burke.

Tr@ll (1986)

Creaky horror-fantasy from the 1980s - great costume/make-up FX mind. It spawned an - in reality completely unrelated - notoriously bad sequel which is the subject of the following...

Best Worst Movie

Documentary film on Tr@ll 2, a classic for lovers of all bad films (a la Ed Wood). A charming documentary. It is really a film about people - people today - who all happened to have starred in this z-movie cult classic. One was a dentist - this was his only film - and a very likable chap. Some of them have been struggling b-movie actors of course. A couple of them appear stark raving mad. The directer is defensive in his artistic delusions, as is one of the slightly insane actresses who insists on Tr@ll 2 being akin to Casablanca! Most of them however freely except the ''so bad it is good'' tagline. There is a lot that is interesting here, about the world of b-movie cinema, the trials and tribulations of life, etc. It is also an interesting look at cult fandom - there is a very funny sequence at a woefully unattended comic con in Birmingham, England, a real life Spinal Tap moment. Highly recommended if you like cult cinema.

Terminator Genisys

A confusing mess of a film featuring a zillion different alternative timelines and an endless parade of time travelling Terminators - you get the impression that going back in time is as normal as popping out to the shops for a loaf of bread! Just glance at the storyline for a second: ''John Conner has been turned into a new type of Terminator made out of nano technology who goes back in time to oversee Skynet and stop Skynet being destroyed by Sarah and Kyle, his future mother and father'' - who writes this shite?

PS

Stupid forum censorship.

Edited by DieselDaisy

Black Belt Jones.

That ones a belter! Great soundtrack too! Pa-ra-pap-pa-rara :lol: Have a butchers at Black Samurai if you like that. Did you see Three The Hard Way yet?

Death Proof

- Filled in my last Tarantino gap with this viewing. It is rather like gate crashing your sister and friends' conversations. Tedious beyond belief, and a little bit embarrassing if truth be told. He must have been drunk when he made this? I was just bored for most of the film.

I really liked it...more than Inglorious Basterds. Can't really watch his films more than just the once anymore, they are starting to take on the value of the sort of exploitation films that he models them after.

Edited by Len B'stard

How can you like Death Proof? All it is is a bunch of skanks talking about shite for 90 minutes and a tiny bit of car action at the end.

Well first cuz the birds are alright, second cuz the birds are alright, third cuz the birds are alright, fourth cuz...

No, seriously, the Aussie ones a bit of a dog :lol: Well first of all i like the colour of it, visually speaking it has that weird manky 70s look to it. There's sort of a mild tension build up to it with Stuntman Mike, you know he's a wrong un, he looks like a wrong un but it sort of builds a bit in terms of like, what is he actually gonna do. And you gotta admit bangin' em about in a stunt car you didn't see coming. And i like characterisation, sort of like British cinema. The problem with it lies in the fact that all the characterisation is a load of bollocks, it's not even really characterisation so much as these four birds talking like Tarantino about Dave Dee Dozy Beaky Mick and Titch (which they say wrong by the way, they say Mitch and Titch, hows that for film nerdery?) and Vanishing Point (in and of itself a brilliant film which you should watch). It's a neat little film though. As Tarantino films of the time went, these big overlong things i found it quite neat, had it faults sure but it's alright, i quite liked it.

Fair dues it's almost entirely plotless but then so's Fist of Fury but i love that, whats the plot there, it's just Bruce Lee bashing the fuck out of the school that killed his teacher.

The Mack

Masterpiece

Slaughter

Decent

Friday Foster

Shite but Grier's mammaries keeps one interested.

Holy shit i was finally able to see Pam Grier's tits.

Thank you

You do not have to look very hard to find examples of that. In the '70s Grier was always getting her tits out. Don't forget she was in those female prison films and other sexploitation films like that film where she plays a female gladiator.

You see em in Hitman too unless I'm very much mistaken, been yonks since I've seen it but my tit recall rarely fails me.

Normally Quentin's wit carries you along in the dialogue department but I found the dialogue limp and uninspired. There is literally about ten minutes where the conversation consists of how the booted each other in a ditch. And why was that stupid woman sticking her feet out of the car? She annoyed me.
Vanishing Point is a good film.

Fist of Fury has the greatest plot line ever, raw blood red vengeance. It is simple, but it is the greatest plotline of all. The context is colonial, racial: ''no dogs or Chinese'', the idea that the Chinese are inferior, the 'sick man of Asia''. There is also a secondary love plotline with Angela Mau.

Fist of Fury has the greatest plot line ever, raw blood red vengeance. It is simple, but it is the greatest plotline of all. The context is colonial, racial: ''no dogs or Chinese'', the idea that the Chinese are inferior, the 'sick man of Asia''. There is also a secondary love plotline with Angela Mau.

But what i mean is, what I'm getting at is that...it's almost like backstory, the bit about his teacher, i mean you know within the first 5 mins of the film that the Jap school killed him and Bruce is gonna do them...so it's not really plot in the sense of it unfolding over the course of the film. And context isn't really plot as such.

I just thought Death Proof was a nice departure from Inglorious, which was just fuckin' boring quite frankly and Kill Bill which, OK, that was pretty good but at the same time I was getting sick of that drawn out Tarantino movie thing.

He'll never do better than Reservoir Dogs and the reason for that is he's a one trick pony and his thing will never be fresh again like it was that first time, that apart from Reservoir Dogs being a perfect 10 out of 10 film.

Edited by Len B'stard

The context is pertinent though. It is a racially, colonial motivated blood feud. It propels the action. The fact Bruce walks into the dojo and beats the hell out of the Karate school is both vengeance and an assertion of Chineseness (against Japanese colonialism). It is a simple story but it is powerful enough in its set of interests and conflicts, to build a brilliant kung fu film (around it). In actual fact a lot of the movie, Bruce is (just barely) holding back. You are twenty minutes in before the Dojo scene, the film beginning with that funeral scene, Bruce in white. He is a cauldron waiting to explode but he is holding back because of respect for his dead teacher and a certain Confucianism. But you know that when he does explode, he will unleash hell: there is a certain audience tension there.

Regarding Death Proof, the plot line is not the problem per se - as you know I like a lot of exploitation cheapos so a slight plot line is not inherently a problem for me. The film largely consists of dialogue between two groups of women. Fine, but for that film to work , the dialogue has to be crisp. What it consists of is a lot of inane chatter.

My favourite parts of that film are the bit where does the cook and the other bloke when he clocks they killed his teacher, the bit before he leaves the Jap school and goes 'NOW YOU LISTEN TO ME...CUZ I'LL ONLY SAY ONCE...WE ARE NOT SICK MEN', the bit where he kills the little queer sounding weasel bloke (who was a great mate of Bruces apparently) and he's like 'have pity on me, I'm just an interpreter' and Bruce is like 'Pity?!?! WHO HAD PITY FOR...uh, i can't say write the teachers name but i can say it, it sounds HUH YUN JAH :lol:

Why do they admit to killing his teacher so quickly? :lol: 'shut up! you're just a young fool!' :lol: At least try and make something up!

He has a sort of an assured cool black geezers walk to him, Bruce, it betrayed the scene sometimes, like in Big Boss where he's sort of strolling up to his Big Bosses house in the end scene having a packet of crisps with an almost sort of...not bored exactly but supremely casual expression on his face, it's like hang on a second, your whole family just got killed 5 mins ago, you've gotten over it very well! :lol:

Edited by Len B'stard

Huo Yuanjia was a real person. The picture you see at the funeral is actually the real Huo Yuanjia. He is famous for beating a number of international fighters representing the Shanghai colonial authorities in a tournament and setting up the Ching Wu school (which still exists as a worldwide kung fu association). A great Chinese hero. The events of his life can be seen in the Jet Li film, Fearless, an excellent film. He was rumoured to have been poisoned by the Japanese and that is what Fist of Fury seizes upon. Ironically the Japanese, despite being cartoon villains in the piece, loved Fist of Fury. It was a huge box office hit there.