What are you watching? a.k.a. Film Thread v 2.0

Bridge of Spies

Decent cold war thriller.

The Fly

Goldblum doing his east coast/yiddish fast talking nerd routine. Not as good as I remember. He is supposed to be fused with a fly yet spends most of the film looking like he is in dire need of a dermatologist: he looks like he works at McDonalds the poor bastard, and he vomits acidic sick so he has probably been eating at McDonalds also!

Ex Machina

Plenty of computer crumpet on show. Rather like a cross between AI and Stepford Wives. I liked this film but I wanted the hero to walk off into the sunset with the girl, and not the mercenary ending we obtained.

Edited by DieselDaisy

About to watch Super Troopers again. Can't wait for the sequel to come out.

Didn't know there was a sequel. Littering and, littering and, littering and, smokin the reefer

42. Damn good.

Yeah, they made a Kickstarter to fund it last year. They made well over their budget in just over a day, which I thought was awesome. By the end I think they had double the funds they were asking for. I can't wait to see it. I'm especially looking forward to seeing Rabbit and Farva again. "I don't want a large Farva, I want a liter'a'cola!"

The King's Speech

Jesus, the history!! Churchill actually opposed Edward VIII's abdication, and there is no evidence that pro-German sentiment was accused of by a government minister; this government minister is actually Churchill, who was going through his wilderness years and ostracised from ministerial circles (why then was he offering advice to the King?), thus creating a triple historic error! And George VI supported appeasement, so long as his government (Chamberlain's) supported it; there is no evidence of Churchillean truculence on appeasement from George VI until war was declared!

I'm actually, perhaps ironically, speechless due to the historic errors.

And I know what the reply to this is, ''it is only a movie'', but how can a film be made when it completely switches a historic characters' entire ideology, characters who are near enough that there are people who are alive today who remember them?

Argo

I cannot vouch for the historicity of this as I only know the basics of the Iranian Revolution but it is a gripping and engaging politico-thriller. Goodman's character reminded me of a similar character in Ed Wood, an uber cynical b-movie filmmaker. I liked that. I cannot believe Ben Affleck decided to play batman after directing two fine films (The Town and this). He seems to have the habit of making bad career moves. Shame because he has a directorial imagination and is obviously a better actor that laughable superhero garbage.

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Like 1

American Sniper

Jesus! What a perverted morality. Is the protagonist - apparently a true historic persona - supposed to be a hero? He shot a kid in the head, executed him!! He killed 200+ people!! I do not care about anyone's country. If someone ordered me to shoot a kid in the head in order to protect my country, I simply would not do it - I'm sorry. I would wipe my country's flag on my behind if someone ordered that - I am simply not doing it. This film eulogises someone with the base evil of Hitler. Fuck the person this film is based on. Fuck him up the arse. I hope he suffers in hell for his crimes.

Crash (2004)

Well it is a film. I am not sure what else I am meant to say? I laughed at the racism as directed against a 'chinaman'' - '' here is $40, go buy some chow mein''. I suppose that makes me fickle? Every character in this was a despicable human being. If the aim of the film was to make LA look the worst place in the world, they certainly succeeded.

PS

I am in some dire need for some Fellini or Hitchcock, I am trawling through the oscar archives and it is a miserable sight indeed. Full of wretched filmmaking.

Edited by DieselDaisy

Terminator: Genisys

I finally watched this after half a year. Granted, I missed it in theaters and only got around to buying it after Christmas.

I actually really enjoyed it. It's flawed, but it's very entertaining. For all the crap it got I was expecting it to be unwatchable but I was smiling all the way through. Even Jai Courtney couldn't ruin it for me. The plot is a bit convoluted at times but the whole idea of the alternate timelines was probably about the best thing they could do to stay away from the T2 rehash that was T3 and the crap fest that was Salvation. This one is easily my favorite after the first two and the only worthy sequel as far as I'm concerned. T3 is a fun watch for different reasons but this was a more satisfying sequel to the first two.

Arnold looked great and I like how they aged him. The fight between him and the CGI 1984 was a lot of fun (albeit too short). The CGI was quite impressive on the 1984 Arnold so I was a bit surprised that it was fairly weak for the rest of the film - just the same borrowed effects from T2. Still, that didn't hinder my enjoyment. Courtney was actually passable for once. Jason Clarke was a decent John Connor (although I still hate that they ruined the twist in the trailers). Emilia Clarke lacked the badass vibe of Linda Hamilton but she also wasn't as bad as I expected even if her acting left a bit to be desired.

My biggest complaint is how they feel like they need to shoehorn in all the same gags and classic lines from the first two, but all the same I kind of get it here. This is supposed to be a direct sequel to the second film so it's kind of reminding casual audiences of the second film. I feel like that's also why this film didn't find an audience in North America (minus obvious competition from Jurassic World) - it really needed you to understand the references plot-wise to the first and second films otherwise it was probably just a confusing mess. It wasn't like say a Bond film where audiences can return after years away and not really need any background knowledge

If T1 and T2 hover around an 8 or 9 out of 10 (depending on which you prefer), I'd honestly give this a 6.5/10 or even 7 for effort. It's a shame we won't get the direct sequel.

3 hours ago, James Bond said:

Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation

My feelings on it haven't changed since seeing it in theatres - it's the best of the five. I'm pumped that Christopher McQuarrie is doing the next one as well.

I seriously loved it. One of my favorite movies of the year by far.

On 2/4/2016 at 8:44 PM, James Bond said:

Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation

My feelings on it haven't changed since seeing it in theatres - it's the best of the five. I'm pumped that Christopher McQuarrie is doing the next one as well.

I agree. I have a certain personal affection for the third film (it also has the best villain in PSH) but I think Rogue Nation elevated the series to new heights. I just hope they don't rush into the new one -- it seems like the studio is setting the release date really quickly after the previous installment and sometimes that's a recipe for disaster with these kinds of series (e.g. Bond).

Rogue Nation was WAY better than Spectre.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Estranged Reality said:

I agree. I have a certain personal affection for the third film (it also has the best villain in PSH) but I think Rogue Nation elevated the series to new heights. I just hope they don't rush into the new one -- it seems like the studio is setting the release date really quickly after the previous installment and sometimes that's a recipe for disaster with these kinds of series (e.g. Bond).

Rogue Nation was WAY better than Spectre.

Obviously I'm a sucker for Bond so my opinion is biased, but even with that bias I can't entirely disagree with you. Rogue Nation was the better of the two as a satisfying entry in their respective series. I personally enjoyed SPECTRE more but that's just me enjoying Bond more. Rogue Nation is the better film, if that makes sense. I don't know, both are kind of different approaches to the spy thing. Not a bad year for spy films though I must say (2015 that is). I liked Terminator: Genisys though so take my opinion lightly. ;) 

On another topic - the latest film I watched was Ted 2. It was pretty shit as I expected, and I say that as someone who loved the first one. I can't say I didn't laugh, but I was bored for half the movie. Even the attempts at having a bit of heart, something the first one succeeded at, failed miserably because the entire movie was recycled jokes and predictability. The chemistry between Seth MacFarlane and Mark Wahlberg felt non-existent this time around - there wasn't really any memorable to take away from it.