What are you watching? a.k.a. Film Thread v 2.0

34 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Stingy as anything, Cary Grant apparently! During the height of his fame and wealth he would be (in person) selling autographs to little kids for $2 or some other amount: ''come on kid, give us the cash''.

Yeah, Eva Marie Saint mentions that she was shocked when some fans visited the Mount Rushmore filming and he'd charge 25 cents for an autograph. What a cheap fuck. :lol:

I guess when you're Cary Grant you can do whatever you want. I know there's a book of anecdotes about him from people who knew him, and of course the "Evening with Cary Grant" text. That'd make a great read.

4 hours ago, Black Sabbath said:

Room was quite compelling.

Will watch Spotlight tomorrow.

Room was awesome, imho, Have a whole "new" standpoint and finally a director wanted to focus the "what happened after" viewpoint

Spotlight is somewhat "boring" and i have a feeling that the subject of the film is what made them an Oscar, not the actual movie quality.... I've enjoyed it, though, but definitely not the BEST film this year

Edited by Strange Broue

5 hours ago, Black Sabbath said:

I was slightly bored with Brooklyn. I guess I can see why it was nominated but unfortunately it wasn't really for me.

Will try to watch The Big Short this weekend.

It was nominated because the average Academy member is in their 60s. It's such a quintessential Grandma matinee movie, we should probably be relieved it didn't win.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Wagszilla said:

It's a documentary or episode of Nightline dressed up as a movie. One that I found to be bland and undercooked but your typical Academy voter would like. 

I think it's generally competently made and well acted on the whole, Keaton and Schreiber are pretty good, but I don't think it's even close to the Best Picture. 

It's an important movie to be sure, especially if you're unfamiliar with the subject matter, but I would re-watch Alex Gibney's Maxima Mea Culpa again before I ever rewatched Spotlight. I understand why the Academy gave it Best Picture, though. 

I disagree wholeheartedly. In it's own way I found it as gripping as Fury Road and Sicario (which were my favourites of the year) albeit in an obviously different manner. 

8 hours ago, Wagszilla said:

Zootopia - It has a couple of flaws but it is generally phenomenal. If Inside Out weren't so good, I would say that this is the best CG movie released in the last 5 years. It's simultaneously a "movie" and a "film" and I would wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone. 

Going to see it tonight. Can't wait.

Creed

Finally watched it last night. Excellent film! I'd probably rank it third in the Rocky series - behind the original and Balboa. The great thing about it is that Adonis Creed is truly the main character. It's his story and not just a continuation of the Rocky saga. It's both. That's where the film's biggest strength is - it's both a satisfying continuation of the Rocky films while also being a satisfying new beginning. It had the Rodkg feel without being a total rehash. That seems to be a rare thing with spinoff films these days. For now, I rank it with the other Rocky films. After the sequel I'll probably see it more as its own separate thing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nosaj Thing said:

Deadpool, not nearly as funny as I expected it to be, but better than any Marvel-Disney movie to date.  7/10

I think I laughed more at Ant-Man, but they're both 7/10s for me. I would say that compared to the Marvel-Disney films it was about as good as Ant-Man and Winter Solider.

I prefer X2 and DoFP from the Fox films (8/10s for me).

37 minutes ago, Amir said:

I think I laughed more at Ant-Man, but they're both 7/10s for me. I would say that compared to the Marvel-Disney films it was about as good as Ant-Man and Winter Solider.

I prefer X2 and DoFP from the Fox films (8/10s for me).

I was pretty surprised that Ant man was actually good and entertaining. For Dead Pool they really went out of the way to promote it, but while watching it, it was funny, but not out of the world.