What are you watching? a.k.a. Film Thread v 2.0

South Paw

Jake Gyllenhaal can do little wrong for me, easily the best leading actor at the moment. The story is old hack but this cast (including fity and Whitaker) does an amazing job. Worth checking out.

Batman vs Superman Dawn of Justice

I wasn't a fan of the latest Superman and this is more the same. Far too few relevant action sequences and instead too much shitty storylines that go nowhere. Worst Lex Luthor ever. If it wasn't for Tom Hardy in Star Trek Nemesis and Timothy Olyphant in Die Hard IV I'd say worst villain ever. Afleck was ok as Fatman, though he does resemble the 90s cartoon version more in stature. I honestly don't get why people flock to see this type of shit, it all looks so unimaginative and when did comic book adaptations have all the fun drained out of them? Seeing these movies feels like you're watching superheroes on the couch at their shrink's office.

Just watched "The Kingdom" on cable the other night.seems very timely considering the bombings going on in Saudi Arabia this weekend........

Also doing a "Californication" marathon.........Just entered season 5...............now that is a funny ass show................

Just now, Len B'stard said:

Fort Apache - John Wayne, Henry Fonda, directed by John Ford, as was the above.

You are on a roll homie. The ones I've haven't seen are Tin Star and Young Mr. Lincoln. How are those?

Ford, Leone, Eastwood, Peckinpah, Mann, Hawks. Who's your best?

2 minutes ago, J Dog said:

You are on a roll homie. The ones I've haven't seen are Tin Star and Young Mr. Lincoln. How are those?

Ford, Leone, Eastwood, Peckinpah, Mann, Hawks. Who's your best?

I cant call it, they call have their unique character and...OK, you wouldnt have Leone or Eastwood without John Ford so I'll say John Ford, not only that but his films are the original heart and soul of the western, Leone then for the sheer artist capacity of his work, Mann and Hawks would better follow Ford in the further spreading out of the original western blueprint, Eastwood cuz i just fell in love with him as a kid.  But honestly I can't seperate em, they're part of the overall tapestry.  Way too tough a question, especially with the names you picked, Peckinpah probably sits better alongside Leone and in and of themselves they are two of the best directors the western genre ever saw but they are fundamentally subverters of the genre, as they deserve their place dont get me wrong...but the sheer beauty and majesty and warmth of John Fords westerns...and their morality (as unpopular a comment as that probably is in 2016 but those people can go fuck their mothers if you ask me :D ) is just the winning ticket to me.

I really dont like the idea, however much i love him, that Leone is more associated as the immediate thing you think of when you think of westerns these days instead of any of the others.  As beautiful as his films are they are so...unamerican.  And i dont mean morally, i mean in the language, the characters, the characterisations.  Way too much is made of the negative of the west (which is not to be ignored mind you) and way too little of the romance of it, of the home-steaders, the hardworking upright majority and the bravery of the people that made your country.

As for Tin Star, these are all movies i saw as a kid, just been wanting to check em out again and Tin Star is sheer class, Young Mr Lincoln is an American classic also, a bit more lightweight than Tin Star but its kinda supposed to be, its a very romanticised film I'm sure but thats kinda what i love about that era of filmmaking.  And Henry Fonda is about the most magnetic screen presence i can think of, his roles (apart from Frank :lol:) to me are the archetype of the American national character.  Its not really broadly about Lincoln the man but Lincoln the young lawyer finding himself.

• Like 1

Just now, Len B'stard said:

I cant call it, they call have their unique character and...OK, you wouldnt have Leone or Eastwood without John Ford so I'll say John Ford, not only that but his films are the original heart and soul of the western, Leone then for the sheer artist capacity of his work, Mann and Hawks would better follow Ford in the further spreading out of the original western blueprint, Eastwood cuz i just fell in love with him as a kid.  But honestly I can't seperate em, they're part of the overall tapestry.  Way too tough a question, especially with the names you picked, Peckinpah probably sits better alongside Leone and in and of themselves they are two of the best directors the western genre ever saw but they are fundamentally subverters of the genre, as they deserve their place dont get me wrong...but the sheer beauty and majesty and warmth of John Fords westerns...and their morality (as unpopular a comment as that probably is in 2016 but those people can go fuck their mothers if you ask me :D ) is just the winning ticket to me.

I really dont like the idea, however much i love him, that Leone is more associated as the immediate thing you think of when you think of westerns these days instead of any of the others.  As beautiful as his films are they are so...unamerican.  And i dont mean morally, i mean in the language, the characters, the characterisations.  Way too much is made of the negative of the west (which is not to be ignored mind you) and way too little of the romance of it, of the home-steaders, the hardworking upright majority and the bravery of the people that made your country.

Nice breakdown. I'm with you on about everything and it really is almost impossible and kind of unfair to rank them. But Ford almost has to be #1. Mann and Hawks were great following his lead. Leone and Peckinpah are a little bit different type of animal like you said. It's like the rap evolution of Run DMC to Death Row. Eastwood is kind of a personal favorite of mine. I guess he's more in the Leone school. All of them made some really great movies though. You can tell they all took what they were doing seriously.

Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid is good Peckinpah one that sometimes gets overlooked. You got me wanting to watch some now.

9 hours ago, J Dog said:

Nice breakdown. I'm with you on about everything and it really is almost impossible and kind of unfair to rank them. But Ford almost has to be #1. Mann and Hawks were great following his lead. Leone and Peckinpah are a little bit different type of animal like you said. It's like the rap evolution of Run DMC to Death Row. Eastwood is kind of a personal favorite of mine. I guess he's more in the Leone school. All of them made some really great movies though. You can tell they all took what they were doing seriously.

Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid is good Peckinpah one that sometimes gets overlooked. You got me wanting to watch some now.

I like Peckinpah, he films violence like they're sex scenes.  Dylan was hilairious in that film!

• Like 1

The Lady Eve - Henry Fonda, Barbara Stanwyck

Daisy Kenyon - Henry Fonda, Joan Crawford, directed by the great Otto Preminger

Two Rode Together - Jimmy Stewart, Richard Widmark, directed by John Ford

Edited by Len B'stard

Trail of the Lonesome Pine - Henry Fonda, one of his early ones, i think like the 5th or 6th movie he ever made.  Directed by the great western director Henry Hathaway, it was one of the earliest films to be filmed in colour, specifically three strip technicolour, outdoors and using natural light, a real landmark in terms of the technological progression of Hollywood cinema and a wonderful little movie in its own right.

Edited by Len B'stard