Have your thoughts on TSI changed since 1993

gunsfanoldie

• 4 months later...

It's pseudo punk, with the very essence of what's great about that genre missing.

I still like it. Songs like Black Leather, Ain't It Fun, Hair Of The Dog, Down On The Farm, and Raw Power, plus Look At Your Game Girl are all nice additions to the very small Gn'R related catalog imo.

As an album it was really misdirected in a time when that line up was pretty much over artistically.

it sounds great, well recorded with balls. but actually it could have been recorded way worse. It's a bit like Motely covering Anarchy in the UK.

It's the anti-CD in a way, no epics. It's a fun record but I prefer to sprinkle them through out UYI songs than listen straight through.

Edited by wasted

It's pseudo punk, with the very essence of what's great about that genre missing.

I still like it. Songs like Black Leather, Ain't It Fun, Hair Of The Dog, Down On The Farm, and Raw Power, plus Look At Your Game Girl are all nice additions to the very small Gn'R related catalog imo.

As an album it was really misdirected in a time when that line up was pretty much over artistically.

bad timing for sure

i wouldn't go pseudo, maybe tribute

its almost like metal versions of punk songs

like Zeppelin doing hard rock versions of blues songs

i like it when I'm not really in the mood to think about what I'm listening to

I think it was meant to realign them with grunge punk rock bands. But there was no going back from those MTV videos.

agreed. Plus i think people were still looking/judging them through the lens/format they established with the videos so it compounded things. It made SI come across as lazy, half-assed - next to the concept videos that were still in rotation.

I bought TSI when I was first getting into the band and it brings back a lot of memories for that reason. I bought it at a Tesco in England while on a date with a super-hot girl (who is now a fitness coach and looks even hotter!) when I was about 16 years old. It's not a great record, but I don't think it's as bad as people claim, and certainly there's some moments on it that are underrated. I also think Axl's voice sounded good on it, but he goes overboard at times where it almost sounds like self parody. In retrospect it's a sad album in a way because it was the worst possible way, at the time, for the band to flicker out, but it's also just a fun LP. Long story short, I like it, but that's partly because of the nostalgia.

Also really liked Sympathy for the Devil. I thought vocals and guitars sounded extraordinary on it. Thought they breathed new life into and modernized that song. There aren't many songs I can think of where Axl sounds that great...especially that laugh he does before the band kicks into the jam. Can't complain about any lack of rasp on that track.

Side note- I bought the single (or whatever you'll call it, not the whole soundtrack though) and it has this strange, frantic sounding classical number on it by some French composer. I think it was in the movie too, I just found it weird that they through that one on their with Sympathy. Not sure if it was a movie call, record company call, or what. I guess the movie was Geffen too so idk.

I didn't hear anything "bloated", but thought "Since I Don't Have You" was along the lines of when Twisted Sister did "Leader of the Pack".

Lesson? Just do cover songs in concert. No videos.

Or maybe when mortality's staring you in the face.

Edited by dalsh327

I meant bloated as it was expanded into a full length album. The ep was supposed to be all punk covers but they added the Nazareth song, the Steve Jones song, the Manson song, the Skyliners song, etc.

It was too much and too messy with no cohesion

It's heavily overproduced, in terms of slickness and Axl's comical vocal deliveries. Like, when he tries to sound all evil and whatnot. It's just too masturbatory, all around.

A punk covers album should be recorded with the whole band playing in one room with minimal overdubs and a lot less slickness.

• Like 1

Also really liked Sympathy for the Devil. I thought vocals and guitars sounded extraordinary on it. Thought they breathed new life into and modernized that song. There aren't many songs I can think of where Axl sounds that great...especially that laugh he does before the band kicks into the jam. Can't complain about any lack of rasp on that track.

Side note- I bought the single (or whatever you'll call it, not the whole soundtrack though) and it has this strange, frantic sounding classical number on it by some French composer. I think it was in the movie too, I just found it weird that they through that one on their with Sympathy. Not sure if it was a movie call, record company call, or what. I guess the movie was Geffen too so idk.

Yeah it was in the movie. I think it was slapped on there to give you more value for your $ and to promote the film's soundtrack