Some thoughts after reading through Canter's posts.

Jordan Rose

I think the only way they'd get on stage is at a Camp Freddy gig where half of GNR are already there, Axl and Izzy are hanging out and find out there's a show, they just say "fuck it" and go there, get up and do a few numbers, and it would probably be all cover songs.

They'll never reunite on anything like a world tour or a national tour, just way too much to get them to commit on paper. Never mind Axl, Izzy and Slash would be the pains in the asses about it.

A full reunion lineup tour would result in 3 things for Axl:

- make him even more rich/millionaire;

- fuck up any hopes of NuGnR ever being successful - people after the reunion tour wouldn't have anyone else playing along...

- unmeasurable pressure to do a new album with the AFD/UYI lineups

So it's only a win situation for Axl in financial terms, other than that he's got everything to loose. That's why a reunion will never take place, unless Axl gets broke that is.

Edited by trqster

If I was ever a bit rough with Axl in some of my posts, It would only be regarding him walking away in 2007 when I needed him. Leaving me no choice but to go to print with out his support and the missing imput that was needed to make it a better project.

It was his choice to walk away and give up a very good friendship which really hurt because he was the one I was most trying to impress with my work in the first place. So I'm still angry that things went so wrong. He is the only one who can fix it and break the ice. He knows where I stand which is the same as it was in 1984 when we became friends. I never left the friendship. Infact I have never left any friendship that I was in with anyone. The way I see it is a good friendship is for life. I see things like this happen between siblings all the time where they go 30 years without talking to each other and in the end it was over nothing. Me talking about my relationship with Axl post 2007 is very emotional for me and if I sound a bit upset, thats because I am and I'm sorry if it come out sometimes when people ask about it. Then there is Axl's side of this which also hurts me. He thinks that I betrayed and didn't want to work with him by waiting until he might be ready to support the book. Knowing that he is also hurt by this and feels let down bothers me too. See when someone you love lets you down, it hurts.

Edited by recklessroad
  • Like 3

Marc, we all appreciate everything you've done for us here. Thank You.

The main reason I joined here was to have a chance to ask you questions and have you answer, which you do. I think that's awesome to be able to chat with someone so close to the band.

Don't think what you do here goes unnoticed. :)

Edited by T.wa.T

I know, sounds like a stupid question, but what did Slash lie about? I know I've read Canter say he's not blameless, but its relatively clear that Axl is so much more to blame than Slash right? Or do I have that totally wrong. What did Slash do wrong that really pisses off, aside from leave the band which made Axl upset?

Axl held the cards and Slash decided not to play his silly little game. Axl had it in mind to demote everybody in the legacy band to errand boys at his beck and call and make them write and record with people that they didnt want to ..and at that time..they were no longer members they were employees of the new GNR that Axl had set in motion. We often get confused thinking the two are the same entity but in reality they were not/are not. Axl suckerpunched his bandmates into giving him the name, he "quit" GNR and took the name with him and then started to form another GNR with Slash and Duff being the sole remaining from the AFD UYI MEMBERS of THAT band but were going to be in THIS band.

Slash said nope.. "get your shit together Axl..Shut up and sing. Play some rock and roll and fucking stop writing Stephanie Seymour ballads and rock operettas and get back to the meat and potatoes of what GNR is all about."

Axls thong bunched up around his bunghole over that and we didnt hear or see much of him for many many years.

But don't forget that he also tried to come crawling back at one point after he gave Axl this apparent ultimatum.

Came crawling back? really? and when did this supposedly happen?

I'll agree with that as well, thanks for your contribution Marc. While we're on the subject, if you're reading this and a massive GNR fan and haven't bought a copy of Marc's book yet, what the hell are you waiting for? It's very well put together, would look awesome on your coffee table, and really should be owned by every member of this board.

Well, Slash should apologize.

I think its time for a mygnr open letter to slash man

Yes, here here.

Come on slash just suck it up for the fans. once they both get over the hump, they will be glad they got back together. Probably the first time they all play together.

Screw reunion, if Slash didn't do nothing wrong and he's such a better person than Axl. Why not come out and publicly apologize for anything he has said or done? Why not an open letter to Axl from his heart?

People tend to put the blame on Axl, but they are both not saints and hardly took the high road in the last 15+ years. Don't get me wrong here. I really admire Slash too. He should be concerned that they aren't going to live forever. They will probably never be friends again but die without talking to each other after what they have accomplished in the music industry and honestly still do (even w/o talking) is very sad.

My apologies to Slash if besides showing up at Axl's house he actually sent him a letter before. He should definitely try again, try every year then after the 3rd attempt come out in public and share your struggle trying to reach out to Axl. We have to remember that these guys were very close at some point and fame messed that up and that's very unfortunate for everyone involved.

Its not a culture that values art. Its just chain restaurants and culture that doesnt challenge the audience. Lifes goal is just pass theough wiithout struggle. I guess its just 40 year olds still buying pop culture. People just want to relive their past more than deal with their present or future. It's a perpetual state of nostalgia golgotha.

It's not that some of the older fans want to live out nostalgia.They connected to the band and the band connected with the fans.Almost being as one in the same.Fans understood deep down what they were about.Where they came from.

And when a group of people create the magic as GN'R did,I don't care who you are.No one that walks this earth will tell me that they didn't connect with each other on some emotional level.You don't go thru "skid row" and experience the shit that they did and not get close to each other and care about each other.

From the start,they always seemed like a group of people that had the mantra of,"You got my back,and I've got yours". And when people feel that way,they do care about each other.

I could be wrong,as I've never met any of those guys.But I think what a lot of people don't understand is just how much under the microscope the band was.

When I found out that MY band was no longer,it felt like someone tore my heart out and stomped it.I know people don't always get along.And a lot of people give the ex-lover/spouse analogy.But have you ever thought about how a parent and their child don't always get along?Majority of the time,a parent could be so pissed at their child,but they don't stop loving or caring about them!

Sometimes,that's how I feel it is now with old GN'R.They just can't get along with each other,but I think deep down in the pit of their hearts and souls,they still have that soft spot for each other. And that's why it hurts them so damn much. They still care,they just can't get over being pissed off with each other.Because when it all went down the way it did,it hurt them.And it hurt deeply!Especially Axl.

People seem to keep walking out of his life.Dying or just not giving a fuck anymore and have nothing to do with him.And when that happens,it hurts like hell.Especially when you think there is or was people that you thought truly and deeply cared.And when those you think that way about also walk,it's feels like the pits of hell inside.

Edited by SweetRose

But I can also agree with the ones that left. No way would I let someone tell me how to paint my picture,write my story or whatever analogy you want to give.That would not be who I am. Just as it was with Axl saying,"No,let's do it this way or that way."And Slash telling Axl to just ,"Shut up and sing!"It's sad that they couldn't find a happy medium.

Edited by SweetRose

That's kind of what I said, they connected to people back in the day. People want what they had back then, whether it was the excitement of being young it was a better time. And music, movies is a way to do that. You can listen to a record you used to, or watch an old movie, even see you're favorite band play the hits. Nostalgia is a longing for the past and a denial of the present.

That's not to say I didn't miss them after 94. I tried to follow Snakepit, picking up news on what Axl was doing. I guess it's like a lesson, it's just a band of guys who don't always get along, like a lot of bands.

I still think them doing a victory lap would make a lot of people happy. but if they still hate each other it might not feel right. the spirit might not be there.

Axl should apologize to Slash.

Every member that left citied Axl's antics as a major/THE reason for their departures. Hes the common thread of consistency. And while I don't think ALL the blame should go to Axl, I think he holds more fault than any other individual member.

That being said, just let it go, and see things for what they are now. They should just both apologize to each other and see what happens from there.

No way.

The entire lineup is to blame equally.

I've been in various bands all of my life, obviously nowhere near the scale of GnR, but make a decent living playing 3-4 nights a week.

There is no way in hell I would ever, I mean E V A R!!!11!! sign the rights to my band away, ever. Plain and simple Slash and Duff were idiots and the band had piss poor management with Doug Goldstein. All of the internal issues/drama could of been squashed if they would of just got in a room and ironed the stuff out. Or split and go their separate ways. A really good management team would of been helpful to them.

Slash and Duff didn't call Axl on his BS and they should have

Slash and Duff shouldn't of been junkies, but they were.

I look at it like this. If I start a company or if any of you start a company, do you want the multi million dollar company in the hands of guys that are junkies? Everything you have worked your entire life for? I doubt it.

The entire band was out of control and no one was driving the ship. Sad, a band that big and huge and skilled...faded to nothing

Exactly And vise versa..one guy who decides thathe can do what ever he want because he has "issues" and can never seem to seperate his pro life from his professional life. One guy who constantly gets the the company sued and tangels up the machine with lawsuits? The one guy who decides rather or not hes going to participate depending on how he feels at anyone given moment including showing up for work on time and doing his job? Axl may have not been a "junkie" but he certainly wasnt the one bringing his A game to the table.

Ive been in bands since I was 15 and ive had my share of prima donna personalities who thought they were the universe...to do a band right you have to have a great amount of cooperation and perserverance. If it isnt a team its usually shit.

I totaly agree with you on the band just going out with a whimper...in 92 they were something to behold and it was amazing to see them do their thing.

I bought into GNR like I would a brand. The music moved me, it was good and in part because every one of those members did something really extraordinary and that was beating the odds. I identified with every one of the characters in the band and appreciated thier contributions. As a singer I admired Axl more than anyone. Ya I know where and when I heard GNR First and I know I emmulated Axl as a singer and totally dug what he was all about. I was like the small town white boy he ranted about that dreamed of getting out of the shithole suffocating surroundings and making my dreams come true... if he did it well so could I . I miss that can do Axl attitude. I miss that" Ill beat you at your little game of sit down and shut up" so for me GNR is not nostalgic as much as it is an anthem, those were some of the most miserable years of my life when GNR were on the way up...and their music is the soundtrack to my youth.

The rocket ride up was great and the antics where what rock and roll was all about..freedom, expression and living life as such.

It was Duff that recounted that they simply got to big too fast. One day your broke and the next day your living mansions and driving brand new cars and suddenly you have the world demanding something from you at any one given moment. THen theres the beggers and hangers on that leech you and the yes men who give into your every whim and you have a formula for breakdown.

People in the orginal fanbase are finishingup raising kids, they are half way through thier respective lives, they take a look at what culture and society is up to and YES it seems so much easier looking back at what was going on in the 80's and 90's .

I remember people used to lament the break up of Zeppelin and I used to think who give a fuck about those guys that was 15 years ago?? Ha what a fool youth can be because I t hink I would mortgage the house to get a front row ticket to a Led Zeppelin gig now.

Putting aside the comments I am sure I will get about how Slash's music sucks and he needs Axl, why would he even want a reunion at this point?

He has his own band he gets along with and has a new compatible muse in Myles Kennedy to write with who seems to love to work and tour as much as him.

He finally has what he wants without the drama so why would he have to apologize to Axl, for no apparent reason, only to have to deal with Axl's manic personality again? I see no upside for Slash in this case..........

Edited by classicrawker

Putting aside the comments I am sure I will get about how Slash's music sucks and he needs Axl, why would he even want a reunion at this point?

He has his own band he gets along with and has a new compatible muse in Myles Kennedy to write with who seems to love to work and tour as much as him.

He finally has what he wants without the drama so why would he have to apologize to Axl, for no apparent reason, only to have to deal with Axl's manic personality again? I see no upside for Slash in this case..........

IMO very simple answer: $'s lots of it....and being on spotlight once again big time.

IMO very simple answer: $'s lots of it....and being on spotlight once again big time.

If that was Slash's motivation he would have never quit GnR in the first place and VR would be touring with a new singer by now.

JMO but he seems to have enough money to maintain his lifestyle and allow him total control of his making and releasing music so I doubt what you mentioned is enough incentive to get back with Axl...........

If that was Slash's motivation he would have never quit GnR in the first place and VR would be touring with a new singer by now.

JMO but he seems to have enough money to maintain his lifestyle and allow him total control of his making and releasing music so I doubt what you mentioned is enough incentive to get back with Axl...........

Slash quit GNR because Axl's a dick. Yeah, you're right, he has no incentive to get back together with Axl. He knows fans want a reunion, but why should he subject himself to being back with Axl Rose when Axl Rose has absolutely no interest in changing his ways or at least being a little more accommodating to people. The answer is: he shouldn't subject himself to that.

I know, sounds like a stupid question, but what did Slash lie about? I know I've read Canter say he's not blameless, but its relatively clear that Axl is so much more to blame than Slash right? Or do I have that totally wrong. What did Slash do wrong that really pisses off, aside from leave the band which made Axl upset?

Axl held the cards and Slash decided not to play his silly little game. Axl had it in mind to demote everybody in the legacy band to errand boys at his beck and call and make them write and record with people that they didnt want to ..and at that time..they were no longer members they were employees of the new GNR that Axl had set in motion. We often get confused thinking the two are the same entity but in reality they were not/are not. Axl suckerpunched his bandmates into giving him the name, he "quit" GNR and took the name with him and then started to form another GNR with Slash and Duff being the sole remaining from the AFD UYI MEMBERS of THAT band but were going to be in THIS band.

Slash said nope.. "get your shit together Axl..Shut up and sing. Play some rock and roll and fucking stop writing Stephanie Seymour ballads and rock operettas and get back to the meat and potatoes of what GNR is all about."

Axls thong bunched up around his bunghole over that and we didnt hear or see much of him for many many years.

Hahaha brilliant