Cosmo Presents: MYGNR's TOP 5 MOVIE DIRECTORS OF ALL TIME!!

Cosmo

Quentin beating Akira. That is an absolute joke. Quentin made about five films ripped off of Japan or somewhere else. Gulliable americans lap them up - and think they are instantly 'cult film fans' - because they have never been exposed to the real deal. Kurosawa put out about twenty masterpieces and changed the face of cinema. He was - is - the Beethoven of cinema. His films run the gauntlet of humanity.

In all fairness, the collective cinematic IQ of this forum is...lacking. :lol::shrugs:

what did you expect from people who think axl rose is a genius and nugnr a good band?

You two are just too cool for school aren't you? So intellectually above us poor souls who just want to enjoy movies without writing a fucking essay about them and trying to analyze how they've impacted culture on a metaphysical level. :jerkoff:

EDIT: and that's not to say that Tarantino is better than Kurosawa, but give me a break with the high and mighty shit.

Edited by bacardimayne
  • Like 1

Quentin beating Akira. That is an absolute joke. Quentin made about five films ripped off of Japan or somewhere else. Gulliable americans lap them up - and think they are instantly 'cult film fans' - because they have never been exposed to the real deal. Kurosawa put out about twenty masterpieces and changed the face of cinema. He was - is - the Beethoven of cinema. His films run the gauntlet of humanity.

Kurosawa should be number one. Tarantino is nowhere near top 5. I wouldn't even put him in top 100.

Kurosawa should be number one. Tarantino is nowhere near top 5. I wouldn't even put him in top 100.

100% agree.

Didn't Kurosawa do godzilla movies? Not trolling, serious question. Or maybe he thought about doing some maybe?

Toho wanted him but they couldn't get him. So they got his friend Ishiro Honda.

As it turns out, Godzilla and Seven Samurai were filmed at the same time and at the same studio.

Edited by Georgy Zhukov

In all fairness, the collective cinematic IQ of this forum is...lacking. :lol::shrugs:

what did you expect from people who think axl rose is a genius and nugnr a good band?

You two are just too cool for school aren't you? So intellectually above us poor souls who just want to enjoy movies without writing a fucking essay about them and trying to analyze how they've impacted culture on a metaphysical level. :jerkoff:

I had to write an essay about Tarantino's movies. :laugh:

Edited by izzygirl

EDIT: and that's not to say that Tarantino is better than Kurosawa, but give me a break with the high and mighty shit.

It is not about 'writting an essay' or the films working at a 'metaphysical' level. You just want to, ''enjoy movies''? Well Kurosawa put out around twenty of the most enjoyable films ever made. You want cool arsed anti-hero type films? Yojimbo and Sanjuro. You want historical epics? Kagemusha and Ran. You want Shakespearean gothic? Throne of Blood. You want escapist adventure? The Hidden Fortress. (yes, chuck crappy Star Wars in the bin and watch the original: it is a much better film).

• Like 1

It is not about 'writting an essay' or the films working at a 'metaphysical' level. You just want to, ''enjoy movies''? Well Kurosawa put out around twenty of the most enjoyable films ever made. You want cool arsed anti-hero type films? Yojimbo and Sanjuro. You want historical epics? Kagemusha and Ran. You want Shakespearean gothic? Throne of Blood. You want escapist adventure? The Hidden Fortress. (yes, chuck crappy Star Wars in the bin and watch the original: it is a much better film).

I didn't say anything bad about Kurosawa or imply that Tarantino is better than him. I just fucking hate film elitists. Good for you if you watch nothing but obscure indie movies and 60 year old Japanese movies. No one cares and no one wants to be like you.

:lol: There's nothing wrong with being a film nerd either. And as such, seeing Tarantino place in a list of top 5 directors is alternately hilarious and galling, and I will roll my eyes repeatedly whether you find it 'high and mighty' or not.

Kurosawa was greatly influenced by Ford, but then, I do not see Ford topping many of these lists either! I would put Ford before Tarantino, easily.

In terms of influence, Ford would be number one, followed by Kurosawa and Hitchcock, but Kurosawa's content and quality was superior. Ford knew how to make a great film and he influenced many directors from Kurosawa to Scorsese, but they've made better films.

If you want influence the list would be

1. Ford

2. D.W. Griffith

3. Hitchcock

4. Fellini

5. Kubrick

I didn't say anything bad about Kurosawa or imply that Tarantino is better than him. I just fucking hate film elitists. Good for you if you watch nothing but obscure indie movies and 60 year old Japanese movies. No one cares and no one wants to be like you.

So ignorant. Firstly, Kurosawa was not really an 'indie' director. Most of his revered works from the fifties and sixties came out on Japan's biggest studio, Toho. Rashamon came out on Japan's 'other' biggest studio, Daiei. He was also famous for his esculating budgets. He was also not obscure either once Rashamon won at Venice. Go to France. Go to Russia. Go anywhere in Europe and people with any knowledge of cinema have heard of Kurosawa.

Kurosawa is really only obscure amongst American male twenty-thirty somethings who have been spoon-fed a diet of Star Wars CGI junk for far too long (apoligies to those Americans who do know Kurosawa). Heck, even the American film brats (Lucas and Coppola) helped finance his films and helped in the distribution. Ask those guys about Akira Kurosawa?

'60 year old' is also, rather specific, considering Kurosawa made films from 1943 to 1993 (i.e. well into the modern era). His last great samurai epic, Ran, was released in 1985 - that is well in your era of, Jawses, Star Warses and Indiana Joneses. Not all of his films are 'Japanese' either, Dersu Uzala is in Russian, Dreams and Rhapsody in Blue have English in them. But, yes, I will give you the Japanese one as those three are exceptions.

So ignorant. Firstly, Kurosawa was not really an 'indie' director. Most of his revered works from the fifties and sixties came out on Japan's biggest studio, Toho. Rashamon came out on Japan's 'other' biggest studio, Daiei. He was also famous for his esculating budgets. He was also not obscure either once Rashamon won at Venice. Go to France. Go to Russia. Go anywhere in Europe and people with any knowledge of cinema have heard of Kurosawa.

Kurosawa is really only obscure amongst American male twenty-thirty somethings who have been spoon-fed a diet of Star Wars CGI junk for far too long (apoligies to those Americans who do know Kurosawa). Heck, even the American film brats (Lucas and Coppola) helped finance his films and helped in the distribution. Ask those guys about Akira Kurosawa?

'60 year old' is also, rather specific, considering Kurosawa made films from 1943 to 1993 (i.e. well into the modern era). His last great samurai epic, Ran, was released in 1985 - that is well in your era of, Jawses, Star Warses and Indiana Joneses. Not all of his films are 'Japanese' either, Dersu Uzala is in Russian, Dreams and Rhapsody in Blue have English in them. But, yes, I will give you the Japanese one as those three are exceptions.

Never called Kurosawa an indie director or obscure. There's a clear use of and in my sentence, making almost your entire post useless.

Who's ignorant now? Jump the gun a little too quick in your eagerness to impose your filmsnobbery on another unsuspecting Transformers kiddie? :rofl-lol: