Axl Animated Video Intro From 2000-2001

axlsalinger

nuGNR started at least their first couple of shows (NYE, Rio) with an animated Axl video. For a long time back in the day there weren't any videos circulating on the internet showing that clip (that I was aware of, anyway). Heard it described by people in the crowd, but don't think I've ever seen it before until now. Here it is in the Rio 2001 clip. Wonder how much more stuff like this is in the vault ...

Crazy buildup to begin this show, remember Axl had hardly been seen in 7-8 years, and the energy in the crowd and onstage is simply off the charts.

Edited by axlsalinger

I definitely saw this at least 3 years ago. That same video has been around for awhile, or reuploaded several times. I can understand it may not have been around for awhile, but I feel its been up in some form since like 2008 or 9. Also, you could also watch the video on there and listen to the audio from the first House Of Blues New Years Eve show. The Rio video its kind of hard to hear what the audio is exactly but it sounds much better on HOB. Either way, very cool and odd intro to their first concerts in nearly 10 years.

I always thought that Axl ending the animation with "Happy New Year! Enjoy the Millenium!" meant that the animation might have been originally produced for a show on New Year's Eve 12/31/1999, but it got cancelled for whatever reason

Yeah, they probably had planned to do a 1999 NYE show but Axl didn't show up at the venue till one year later. I believe I heard the audio before on the HOB boot, just to my knowledge (unless I am misremembering) had never actually watched the actual animation. I've seen this Jungle clip before but I'm pretty sure it didn't have the intro part on the clip that I saw.

Edited by axlsalinger

I always thought that Axl ending the animation with "Happy New Year! Enjoy the Millenium!" meant that the animation might have been originally produced for a show on New Year's Eve 12/31/1999, but it got cancelled for whatever reason

Since there was no "year 0", the new millenium started 01.01.2001.

Here's Axl asked in November 1999 if they would play a New Year's gig that year:

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/articles/showarticle.php?articleid=28

Loder: Have you thought about maybe taking the boys out and playing on New Year's Eve or something? Are we gonna see you before...
Rose: Nah.
Loder: : No? None of that?
Rose: Nah!
Loder: Why not?
Rose: Na-nah-na-nah!
Loder: [Laughs] It could be fun.
Rose: [Laughs]
Loder: Where are you going to be on New Year's Eve?
Rose: Have no idea.
Loder: So we'll see you some time this new year, right? You will be around?
Rose: Yeah, we'll be around. I'm not working on all this to keep it buried. We plan on getting out there and doing it right. The new guys are a lot of fun, and like I say, we will be continuing to look for and or decide who the official new guitar player will be, but it's not that important to the band at this time, as that person's not really needed. There's not a whole lot for them to do at this time in regards to recording, as we've recorded [a] majority of material.
Loder: But you continue to audition, right?
Rose: Yes, we do. Yes, we do, and there's some people who have done a really great job. It's just not something we're prepared to make a complete decision on at this time.

If Robin hadn't left, it sounds like they would have played a live show in 1999

Edited by TheSeeker

nuGNR started at least their first couple of shows (NYE, Rio) with an animated Axl video. For a long time back in the day there weren't any videos circulating on the internet showing that clip (that I was aware of, anyway). Heard it described by people in the crowd, but don't think I've ever seen it before until now. Here it is in the Rio 2001 clip. Wonder how much more stuff like this is in the vault ...

Crazy buildup to begin this show, remember Axl had hardly been seen in 7-8 years, and the energy in the crowd and onstage is simply off the charts.

First time i ever SEE this

what a fun little piece

I wish more of these see the light of day

Here's Axl asked in November 1999 if they would play a New Year's gig that year:

Loder: Have you thought about maybe taking the boys out and playing on New Year's Eve or something? Are we gonna see you before...

Rose: Yeah, we'll be around. I'm not working on all this to keep it buried. We plan on getting out there and doing it right. The new guys are a lot of fun, and like I say, we will be continuing to look for and or decide who the official new guitar player will be, but it's not that important to the band at this time, as that person's not really needed. There's not a whole lot for them to do at this time in regards to recording, as we've recorded [a] majority of material.

Rose: Yes, we do. Yes, we do, and there's some people who have done a really great job. It's just not something we're prepared to make a complete decision on at this time.

Interesting, never seen that before. Shame they didn't get to play live with Freese in 99.

what made him leave back then? was it because he wanted to go back to NIN?