Axl Vs James Hetfield Montreal 1992

fergus

One of my friends who is not a GNR fan anymore, but was working backstage at the Big O in Montreal told me that the reason Axl was in a bad mood was because Hetfield after getting burned by a Pyro told Axl you wont be able to outdo me now and steal the show and spotlight.

Well Axl did still the spotlight by making the crowd wait, talk negative about MTL and then tell the crowd that they would be refunded and walked off stage and then the riot started.

Next day in Quebec Musique plus, Mutch Music and MTV all eyes where on Axl and then how James Hetfield got burnt.

In 2010 in at the end of the Great show by Axl and GNR he said one day you well get the truth but not tonight...

Even James said Axl was able to steal the spotlight even after his injuries.

Interesting theory. Weren't GnR back at the hotel when it happened? I remember Slash saying in his book they got the call to come back early. I would have thought James was already at hospital by the time they arrived. Are petty rivalries your first thought after being badly burnt? He will have been in a lot of pain and medicated.

That seems pretty far fetched. He'd just been burned horribly yet he's in a state of mind to taunt Axl?

Axl just chilled in the back with champagne and a smoke, wen Jason asked him, if your voice is giving you troubles should you be drinking and smoking...?

He said that in Behind the Music, but did he actually say that to Axl? Edited by Dariablue

Seems like I read that in a magazine around the time it happened.That Axl was chilling,drinking and smoking backstage.I can't remember which mag tho.

One being,at the time I was loyal to RIP mag.Don't know if that's where I read it or not.But don't think so.

Someone needs to ask Hetfield if he really said that.

Remember he still performed, and had to cut the set short. That's a lot of money to piss away in one night because he's in a funk.

Here's the show, it was hard to hear what he was saying in between songs, esp. what he says around the 26:30 minute mark.

and you've seen this before, but still wanted to throw this in.

Edited by dalsh327

In general Axl was in the bad mood the whole UYI tour ( might be a problem with woman, gnr entourage, managers, ex-members, labels, photographers, lame assed securities, he's gone home..... )

nothing pissed Axl off more than a Guns and Roses show. ( from a radio interview)

I tend to think villianize Axl way too much, but I do think he, and the rest of the band, could have turned this thing around.

The band was so fucked up back then though, both with substances and internal strife. It's a shame, without all of that this could have been a tour still worth talking about (for non-controversial reasons).

I tend to think villianize Axl way too much, but I do think he, and the rest of the band, could have turned this thing around.

The band was so fucked up back then though, both with substances and internal strife. It's a shame, without all of that this could have been a tour still worth talking about (for non-controversial reasons).

None of us really know what happened, all we can do is hear the different sides of the story and come up with our own opinions on it. Everyone's going to have a different memory of that night, some of them probably don't remember what was said because they had other things on their mind. I know people who say some really mean things but then they forgot what it was they said the next day, esp. if alcohol was involved.

Some people want to villainize or defend an opinion, that's fine, someone who's a singer would defend the singer, a bassist or a drummer might not have as much compassion.

Axl is the embodiment of Lead Singer Disease, there were others, but he defined it.

Axl just chilled in the back with champagne and a smoke, wen Jason asked him, if your voice is giving you troubles should you be drinking and smoking...?

It's still good advice for Axl today! where's jason when you need him!

@ Fergus, I really doubt your friends story. Hetfield was in agonizing pain, the last thing on his mind was Axl "stealing the show" Axl wasn't even around when james got off stage... one of the reasons why it took a while for GnR to get on-stage, besides the usual wait and the production change over. and yes he obviously stormed off stage... but, slash even backed him up that the monitors were playing up all night and that it was destroying his voice - think Duff backed the story too (years after the incident and after they left the band).

Great story but it has more than a few holes in it.

• Like 1

I never bought the "sound problem" excuse. If there was indeed a sound problem, the last thing you do is leave after 40 minutes. All bands have sound problems and the professional thing to do is play through it til the sound crew gets it right. You don't leave. You got 50-60 thousand people there expecting to see 2 shows in one night. The first show gets cut short because of pyro/injury. Then hours later the 2nd show starts and the lead singer takes off. No wonder the crowd tore the place up.

I never bought the "sound problem" excuse. If there was indeed a sound problem, the last thing you do is leave after 40 minutes. All bands have sound problems and the professional thing to do is play through it til the sound crew gets it right. You don't leave. You got 50-60 thousand people there expecting to see 2 shows in one night. The first show gets cut short because of pyro/injury. Then hours later the 2nd show starts and the lead singer takes off. No wonder the crowd tore the place up.

Usually I would say you should never walk off, however, if walking off instead of continuing could prevent you from having severe vocal issues threatening the rest of the tour I agree with it. How true the sound problems were we will never know, we have to rely on what the band said. I also agree with you, but there's two sides to this whether you believe it or not.

Yeah, Axl is SO RAWK AND ROLLZ!

/sarcasm

Know what Hetfield did after his burns? He continued the tour, singing while his guitar tech played his guitar parts. He was up on stage with a freaking pus-filled, blistered, charred, burned arm in a cast, still singing for his fans, even though he couldn't play guitar.

And then? Metallica later came back to St Louis and played the show FOR FREE to make up for the riot.

What about Axl? Wearing his stupid fucking feather-boa and whining about the crowd taking his picture, so he bailed. Oh and Beta is god.

There's your fucking Axl Rose.

Yeah, Axl is SO RAWK AND ROLLZ!

/sarcasm

Know what Hetfield did after his burns? He continued the tour, singing while his guitar tech played his guitar parts. He was up on stage with a freaking pus-filled, blistered, charred, burned arm in a cast, still singing for his fans, even though he couldn't play guitar.

And then? Metallica later came back to St Louis and played the show FOR FREE to make up for the riot.

What about Axl? Wearing his stupid fucking feather-boa and whining about the crowd taking his picture, so he bailed. Oh and Beta is god.

There's your fucking Axl Rose.

:violin: