True Detective - HBO series [SUPER, INSANELY, LITHIUM-ESQUE, HEAVY SPOILERS. PS: There are spoilers in this thread]

Nobodys_Fault

I thought the first half of the season was much better than the second half.

Really?

I thought the first two episodes were somewhat slow....I felt the show took off after episode 3.

Do you think the reason you enjoyed the first part of the season more so than the second has to do with the fact that you may have subconsciously been forming different theories, etc. during the first half?...and that the second half was almost "laid out" for you?

What do you mean by "laid out"? I thought the first half of the season was original and intellectually stimulating. I thought the second half was pretty much your standard cop show. Well done, but standard.

It did flow pretty well up til they got Ledoux.

After Ledoux is when they began to lose me. After Marty shot him it seemed like the show became much more interested in Marty's anger issues, which I didn't find compelling at all.
6 is a Zodiac ending.

7 is the Sopranos ending.

8 is The Wire ending.

I kind of like the Sopranos ending. They probably should have taken some jumper cables to Geracis nuts though.

Finally watched it myself. Really good show! New season: new story, new cast, new director. If it were me I'd just call it something else.

I scanned through this thread. I've heard it said before that watching episodes when they're on air is better than binging because you get to discuss it with other fans and read all the theories. I think this thread is a good example of why that is not the case. It's that Lost bullshit all over again where viewers make up an entire universe in their heads and then feel disappointed when the show doesn't pander to their crazyness.

I really hate people that describe a little imagination as being "craziness". :lol:

So people were hoping for a spectacular end to an extremely complex narrative - and I don't give a fuck what Pizzolato says, the thought-provoking imagery was very deliberate - so what?

True Detective presented itself as a programme on the verge of enlightening you to something mindblowing, yet it ended on a note of "making you feel all warm and fuzzy inside". I can't say I was unhappy with the ending, but the way it was directed certainly contrasted the writer's supposed intentions.

Edited by NGOG

If you read Galveston, Pizzolatto does the same. Characters do things which in another movie/book they would not cos that would destabilise the narrative. And it does unless you get the Dexteresque qualities of his protagonists. Like he will murder if its to protect the girls if its a scumbag. But he'll work with scumbag up to a point to achieve something.

Another example is that the hero guy will panic at the end of one chapter, like lose his shit, for pages describing how his past has shown him not to fall for this again, so he throw all his shit in his truck and drive away.

But then in the next chapter that is forgotten and actually he's gone to kill the bad guy. In a book that works because you just carry on reading. In a show that airs weekly, for a week your thinking he's done a runner but he hasn't. These are just like emotional digressions from a simple story that follows the most obvious story lines right to the end. But he has a great knack for making the narrative fascinating.

But you wonder if as you see more stuff of his will you be able just guess. You'll guess the story and characters wobbles will be transparent. No he's not going to do that because basically he has a moral compass.

I enjoyed Galveston in the same way as TD but he does lay it on a bit thick with endings.

But definitely he wants the audience to doubt the protagonists a bit and he slowly shows you, no they are heroes who do the right thing under difficult circumstances.

Edited by wasted

I think I found the "cracking of the case" to be more irritating/upsetting than the ending itself.

It was almost like ep. 7 & 8 both were completely re-written differently from 1-6. They just felt different. There was more mystique during the first six, and ep 4 & 5 were the best episodes of the season.

7 & 8 were in real time? The tension in 1-6 came from the interview/flashback set up.

7 was like look at the toll this case took on these losers. The you basically know it's Errol from the ending. So ep 8 is pretty redundant.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Looks like HBO and Pizzolatto are hot for Jessica Chastain for next season. A solid choice, albeit an obvious one considering the roles she gets tossed.

As long as we're in that territory, I'd like to see her paired up with Noomi Rapace or Vera Farmiga. Maria Bello would be great too.

I think Chastain has pulled out