True Detective - HBO series [SUPER, INSANELY, LITHIUM-ESQUE, HEAVY SPOILERS. PS: There are spoilers in this thread]

Nobodys_Fault

I still find Marty a little fishy.

Clearly my sense of perception was way off, but when Marty was asking Rust about the stories he'd make up, it was almost aggressive. I was waiting for him to suddenly turn on Rust.

I'm glad they didn't opt for that sort of dark end to the partnership.

Edited by NGOG

You're bound to be disappointed when you spend hours on end coming up with theories and writing it out, only for it to turn out to be the most obvious result.

After sleeping on it, I still think it was absolutely perfect. Rewatching now.

Like you, and this doesn't happen very often, it welled me up.

What about his British accent that he uses when talking to his sister lol

There was an Irish accent in there too.

That was Errol reciting passages from The King in Yellow, wasn't it?

Edited by NGOG

You're bound to be disappointed when you spend hours on end coming up with theories and writing it out, only for it to turn out to be the most obvious result.

My posts were the best thing about show. Other than McC boozing and quoting that nazi guy and Marty fucking Lili Simmons that is.
  • Like 2

The creepiest thing for me was when Errol talks to his sister about his ascension from "the loop" and being able to see the infernal plane and then this is exactly what Rust later saw himself in the vision. This seems to imply that the ritual murders may have had a real purpose rather than just being the delusional acts of a psychopath.

I just feel cheated in a way that not one of the "rich devil-worshipers" were identified, much less brought to justice. I know "tapes" were sent out but none of this is going to get explained. The finale flirted with the big picture stuff. The flat circle. The scary family. But ultimately left it all hanging.

• Like 1

I'm just glad they didn't go with some stupid Shyamalan tweest ending where Marty turned out to be the guy.

Is it worse than 7 eps of bullshit then oh we missed this paint job. Oh it's that guy. Lets go get him. Then they run into his lair and he fucks them up. When Marty started crying in his hospital bed was probably the funniest thing I've ever seen. Then his family of skanks turn up. Boo, get the fuck out of here you yellow king hos. Edited by wasted
  • Like 3

The creepiest thing for me was when Errol talks to his sister about his ascension from "the loop" and being able to see the infernal plane and then this is exactly what Rust later saw himself in the vision. This seems to imply that the ritual murders may have had a real purpose rather than just being the delusional acts of a psychopath.

I just feel cheated in a way that not one of the "rich devil-worshipers" were identified, much less brought to justice. I know "tapes" were sent out but none of this is going to get explained. The finale flirted with the big picture stuff. The flat circle. The scary family. But ultimately left it all hanging.

But maybe Ted Childress and Tuttle, Ledoux and DeWille were all there was? Who was on the bed? Ted Childress?

Rust having that hallucination was a bit convenient.

But none of that matters because its about Rust and Martys redemption.

We are all just one stab in the stomach away from finding god.

Edited by wasted

But maybe Ted Childress and Tuttle, Ledoux and DeWille were all there was? Who was on the bed? Ted Childress?

I was under the impression that it was Ted, that wasn't answered either. Had to be someone of significance by the way Errol was talking to the body at the beginning of the episode. Pretty sure it was Ted. Maybe he fucked Ted, too, like Skyler.

I'm just glad they didn't go with some stupid Shyamalan tweest ending where Marty turned out to be the guy.

Oh it's that guy. Lets go get him.

It's definitely not that simplistic. As Rust said to Marty from his deathbed, they didn’t solve the case. But what they did do, and Marty is able to see that, is sacrifice themselves for the benefit of their successors. It’s appropriate – and indicative of an evolving society - that two black men will pursue the rest of a white, conservative conspiracy.

Unlike Rust and Marty, they don’t have to shoot in the dark anymore. The foundations are clear, and all they have to do is complete the math.

Edited by NGOG
  • Like 1

I was under the impression that it was Ted, that wasn't answered either. Had to be someone of significance by the way Errol was talking to the body at the beginning of the episode. Pretty sure it was Ted. Maybe he fucked Ted, too, like Skyler.

I think Sam Tuttle got the woman thing Errol is with pregnant. So she's like his mom?

If Ted Killed Tuttle, then Errol killed Ted. That's all 5 horsemen?

The institutional corruption would mean that only Ted was really needed or his family to keep it covered up. But Errol wanted to global like Nike with his logo.

I think Sam Tuttle got the woman thing Errol is with pregnant. So she's like his mom?

"At least a half-sister". But Marty put a stop to us hearing more.

Edited by NGOG

If Ted Killed Tuttle, then Errol killed Ted. That's all 5 horsemen?

The institutional corruption would mean that only Ted was really needed or his family to keep it covered up. But Errol wanted to global like Nike with his logo.

That thing Errol was with was Errol's sister. We'll never know about the 5 horsemen, Pizzolatto was probably one of them when the picture was taken.

That thing Errol was with was Errol's sister.

If I recall correctly, not exactly:

"At least a half-sister". But Marty put a stop to us hearing more.

It's definitely not that simplistic. As Rust said to Marty from his deathbed, they didnt solve the case. But what they did do, and Marty is able to see that, is sacrifice themselves for the benefit of their successors. Its appropriate and indicative of an evolving society - that two black men will pursue the rest of a white, conservative conspiracy.

Unlike Rust and Marty, they dont have to shoot in the dark anymore. The foundations are clear, and all they have to do is complete the math.

The conspiracy isn't that deep. It's just Errol and his team? All of them are dead. Errol was the meta psychotic they were looking for.

But I was talking about the facile way they broke the case. They could have found the green paint in ep 1 or 2.

But like Pizz said there could be a wider conspiracy season.

It's definitely not that simplistic. As Rust said to Marty from his deathbed, they didnt solve the case. But what they did do, and Marty is able to see that, is sacrifice themselves for the benefit of their successors. Its appropriate and indicative of an evolving society - that two black men will pursue the rest of a white, conservative conspiracy.

Unlike Rust and Marty, they dont have to shoot in the dark anymore. The foundations are clear, and all they have to do is complete the math.

The conspiracy isn't that deep. It's just Errol and his team? All of them are dead. Errol was the meta psychotic they were looking for.

But I was talking about the facile way they broke the case. They could have found the green paint in ep 1 or 2.

Most big cases are solved off small facts that can easily be overlooked.

That's just your assumption. Based on what Rust said, all they were able to get was Carcosa's elected guardian. He's just inherited the psychosis of bigger players.

Of course they could have. But there's no way to preempt a stroke of genius before it happens.

Yeah the green paint thing was a bit of a stretch I think.

"Green ears... Green paint!? Paint, paint... this house is painted! They must have been a painter. The killer is actually Da Vinci."

I loved the show and will definitely buy the blu-ray and rewatch, but I agree that I was a little let down with how it ended. There were a number of things that were left unnecessarily unanswered (i.e. Marty's wife, drawings in his home, gang-rape doll placement, etc.). Though they only got Errol, he was the only one they had to focus on at the point. He was the only one still doing the killings and everything at that point anymore anyway.

Also, Marty's family, especially his wife, acted really weird when they came to see him.

The cryptic closure for Rust was great, though.

so cut to that detail and end it.

I enjoyed the ride.

That's just your assumption. Based on what Rust said, all they were able to get was Carcosa's elected guardian. He's just inherited the psychosis of bigger players.

Of course they could have. But there's no way to preempt a stroke of genius before it happens.

It's not really an assumption just going on what they told us. There was Tuttle, Childress. Ledoux, deWille. I think there's more, just like maybe the yellow king effected a wider group of people like Martys kids indirectly. There seemed to be something about Errol wanting to go further, take over or something. Or was it just that Childress wasn't covering up for a time.

So the opening of ep1 was Errol dragging Dora up to the tree.

I enjoyed the ride.
I enjoyed the eps. It's just after everything, they just find it arbitrarily. Rust did so much, the stash house, going through the minefields, B&E Tuttles place. It was kind 7 bus rides then we got taken to car park and shot in the head. Edited by wasted
  • Like 1