True Detective - HBO series [SUPER, INSANELY, LITHIUM-ESQUE, HEAVY SPOILERS. PS: There are spoilers in this thread]

Nobodys_Fault

This may be the initial fanboyism that occurs just after a series has completed, but I thought it was absolutely perfect. I was disturbed, I was frightened, I was upset - but ultimately I was able to smile.

Given that my family lost a baby girl, the character of Rust Cohle literally has a place in my heart. So happy.

Edited by NGOG

Seriously, that was it? I expected much more. What I was really looking into was the satanic cult and how it was involved with big figures of society, and that was left out... They didn't tie that guy to the woman from the pilot. Actually, they didn't tie anything with anything and didn't even care to explain how and why that woman was there. It was a happy ending but a weak closure. Obviously, looking to the characters, I enjoyed noticing how they changed and how Rust's final speech was very different from what he used to say, but what about the case? This is True Detective or what? I know that perhaps that was the whole point... I mean, they even talked about it, how there were bigger guys and they were never gonna caught all of them because, well, it's practically impossible, but even if it was unrealistic and, heh, not-true on a plausible way, I'd rather have the answers.

I get what the finale was about and how they focused on the characters, but if they had made like Game Of Thrones with 10 and not 8 episodes I'm sure they would have made it possible to tie a couple of things related to the cult, who else was involved and how they covered the whole thing. The moment Rust shot Eroll in the head I thought "that's it, we ain't gonna get any answers." Second time they do that? Come on!

Edited by ManetsBR
  • Like 1

I wouldn't say disappointing, but none of the theories ever matched and there was a good bit that lacked to be desired. Who were the Horsemen? Errol was the killer the entire time? I thought for sure there would be more to the finale than that. What about all that symbolism that surrounded Audrey and the family? Random drawings like the circular pattern in Marty's house by Audrey in 95', the 5 play toys depicting a murder or rape? I guess all of these are complete red herrings that Pizzolatto wanted to throw in for no reason? A lot didn't add up and felt kind of vague. Guessing what Rust saw in the room with the statue was a hallucination as well since he'd said they never go away. Completely different than i'd thought it would end.

I don't think it did the series justice. Maybe it needed more time? More episodes? Maybe I wanted there to be more meaning in the prior episode symbols than there actually were? I don't know... For me, some inbred idiot in the woods being the bad guy just didn't do it for me. Even if there were bigger and more powerful men behind it, it didn't matter because that wasn't resolved. I feel selfishly unfulfilled. Though I will say that Rust's final words were very moving... I just wish there were a bigger twist at the end. Something else. But it is what it is. Sometimes there's a happy ending with no complete closure.

All of this being said, Rust Cohle was a fantastic TV character and holds one of my favorite spots now. MM and Woody were great in the show and from a television show standpoint had some of the best acting i've ever seen.

I never expected any of the big fan theories to play a major part in the finale. It was never going to be a big twist ending with a surprise person revealed as the killer.

I loved it. The final scene was so well done, I teared up. Fuck you all. Good night.

PS. I still think Marty's wife was involved. Something about the way she was acting when she went to visit him in the hospital seemed odd. In a way I'm glad that they didn't reveal all of the players. Gives us forever to come up with our own theories and assumptions.

Or maybe it'll play a part in Season 2? Who knows.

Edited by bacardimayne
  • Like 1

As I experienced it Ted Childress (is he dead by ep8) was covering the killings up, probably killed Tuttle to cover it up? Felt like the green paint house thing too easy and made their whole struggle futile. So when they are going to Lawnmower boys house them talking shit was getting old and unrealistic. Then the house was kind of cheesy and cliche, a little over the top. And then they go in, the two badasses and get fucked up immediately by that fat boy. It became a bit of a farce. Then Rust having a hallucination at that point was a bit convenient. Then this one near death experience breaks him. I would have preferred more gritty, maybe a little less bro mance. Like Heat got the right level. I laughed all the way through that ep. It was silly.

I think this episode was markedly different from any other of the series. Whereas, previously this show was taking the standard serial-killer ball of yarn and knitting it's own sweater, in the end, it was the flat-circle, the same dream, the same sweater we've worn before.

Maybe that's why this episode was called "form and void." We get the form, the shape of the big picture, but the substance is void. None to be found.

"Forget it Jake, it's Chinatown..."

By the way, what the hell was that clip at the beginning of the series? Was that from a different show? Two injured silhouetted figures moving through a field with a plantation ablaze in the background.

Why were we shown this!?

I think this episode was markedly different from any other of the series. Whereas, previously this show was taking the standard serial-killer ball of yarn and knitting it's own sweater, in the end, it was the flat-circle, the same dream, the same sweater we've worn before.

Maybe that's why this episode was called "form and void." We get the form, the shape of the big picture, but the substance is void. None to be found.

"Forget it Jake, it's Chinatown..."

By the way, what the hell was that clip at the beginning of the series? Was that from a different show? Two injured silhouetted figures moving through a field with a plantation ablaze in the background.

Why were we shown this!?

maybe that was just the Dore Lange killing. What was that wreath all about at the tree?

And they kind of de-heroed the heroes. Rust didn't solve the case and got his ass kicked. All the badass and swagger came to nothing. Marty was shamed into going back into the case.

To me it was the type of ep Edwin Tuttle would make to hypnotize us into not giving a shit. Demoralize the population so he can control the state. Here's some family values and go to store and get the tampons.

Seems like all the good things about the show were unintentional. So I don't hold much hope for season 2.

• Like 1

I loved this episode both leads gave very emotional performances and man I love the directing of this ep (and the show in general). The one thing that I felt was left hanging is Harrelson's daughter, since the show made it a point to show that something was off but whatever the show was great from start to finish.

Edited by MEXzilla

PS. I still think Marty's wife was involved.

I'm glad that somebody else found her mannerisms odd. I found myself worried that she was going to pull Marty's life support - bizarre.

• Like 2

What was that wreath all about at the tree?

That was spaghetti man's calling card; the twisted, manipulated branches.

The same way someone would leave flowers at a grave as a sentimental token, he left one of his wreaths at his crime scene to commemorate the murder.

It's significant because Rust discovers it after the case is ostensibly closed and its further evidence that the real killer(s) slipped through his fingers.

• Like 1

Nope, Marty's wife obviously wasn't involved at all nor was any of the symbolism surrounding Audrey explained. Just big ol' Errol the whole time. :shrugs:

True Detective AKA True Herring

It will be a completely different story with all new cast members. This is all done now, sadly.

The same way someone would leave flowers at a grave as a sentimental token, he left one of his wreaths at his crime scene to commemorate the murder.

It's significant because Rust discovers it after the case is ostensibly closed and its further evidence that the real killer(s) slipped through his fingers.

I don't remember them talking about it but the whole thing is so dense. Even when Errol is rambling in ep8 he's filling in plot stuff. Like he's itching to leave another sign.

Quite a lot of stuff I misread. Even Geraci saying have you realised who I am?!

To me ep 7 & 8 were like HBO got a call from the government warning them they can't have a show where a US senator is a the leader paedophile cult. So they cut out and rewrote it so there's just the one killer.

The whole man hating part of the show sucks. Maggie should have been offered up as bait for Errol.

To me ep 7 & 8 were like HBO got a call from the government warning them they can't have a show where a US senator is a the leader paedophile cult. So they cut out and rewrote it so there's just the one killer.

They were odd and completely different from the first 6, that's for sure.

Nope, Marty's wife obviously wasn't involved at all nor was any of the symbolism surrounding Audrey explained. Just big ol' Errol the whole time. :shrugs:

It will be a completely different story with all new cast members. This is all done now, sadly.

I still find Marty a little fishy. However, children draw spirals all the time so that's not all that strange. Drawing sexual pictures isn't that uncommon either. Arranging the dolls to a gang-rape was very odd though. Like most younger cirls, she probably just had daddy issues.

I still find Marty a little fishy. However, children draw spirals all the time so that's not all that strange. Drawing sexual pictures isn't that uncommon either. Arranging the dolls to a gang-rape was very odd though. Like most younger cirls, she probably just had daddy issues.
In a weird way if you put Marty and Rusts psychological make up together you get Errol.