Great Gatsby Remake

SunnyDRE

One of my favorite books of all time.

Just saw the remake.

Leo was a boss and I usually don't like him. Didn't mind Cary Mulligan either.

Liked how Baz tried to add some "flair" to the movie.

Tobey as Nick was wrong, but its a minor complaint. Nick Carraway has never been cast right...Waterson also sucked.

Thoughts from those that have seen it?

I loved it. I cringed a little at the addition of *some* of the modern soundtracks (Lana del Rey fit well). The book is one of my favorites and this movie captured my feelings about the book better than the Robert Redford version. That one always seemed a little bland to me, and I wanted to punch Mia Farrow in the face throughout the movie. Leo as Gatsby was heartbreaking. I can't wait to buy the DVD and see it again!

DiCaprio completely killed it as Gatsby, excellent choice of casting there. Also the guy who played Tom was almost exactly what I pictured when I read the book

I am not a huge fan of Baz's style though, some of the changed made such as Nick retelling the story by writing as a therapeutic exercise in a psych ward and the incorporation of modern music into the parties were a bit much for me but the acting thankfully overshadowed that

One of my favorite books of all time.

Just saw the remake.

Leo was a boss and I usually don't like him. Didn't mind Cary Mulligan either.

Liked how Baz tried to add some "flair" to the movie.

Tobey as Nick was wrong, but its a minor complaint. Nick Carraway has never been cast right...Waterson also sucked.

Thoughts from those that have seen it?

It's a great movie and a great parable.

If you surround yourself with people who "love" you for the wrong reasons, they will not miss you when you die.

Everyone lies but those who lie to themselves are the most tragic. Enter Gatsby and Daisy.

Gatsby loves this woman from his ego's perspective. She is more lovely outside then inside. He knows deep down the truth but he is too weak to change paths.

Daisy loves money more than any man. She never worked on her inner development so has no guilt for destroying someone that she cast off for

the love of money and society. Both are tragic sociopaths but Jay Gatsby might have changed his ways had he lived. Nick Carraway was his MVP.

Daisy will go her whole life feeling empty fully knowing that she sold herself to the highest bidder and thus sold herself short nor did she ever find a man who truly loved her

far beyond her looks.

Edited by ohlovelyrita

I was gonna go and see it with some friends, but I ended up sleeping in that day and never got round to it. They all seemed to dig it, although they told me that Jay-Z did the soundtrack... What the fuck? It was supposed to be the Jazz era, why would you do that? Sounds like they needed one of these guys:

6eb68091a56b43cbbaedd1eb1d30b0f3.jpg

I thought the script was pretty weak but that's common for Baz Luhrmann. The guy is amazing as a stylist and the whole 'theatre-spectacle' element to his films, but he needs to hand over the script writing to someone else. I always love his films though and I look past the weak scripts because it takes real talent to create the visual that he does. His wife is a dynamo as the costume designer. They make a great pair.

Probably my favourite film of his is Romeo and Juliet with Leo and Claire Danes.