Bumblefoot "Had the hardest time" dealing with Guns N' Roses' concert tardiness

The Black

I have to ask. Has GN'R been going on at reasonable times in recent history?

I'd say the roundabout "general" time is usually around 11PM? That's the time I usually expect, at least.

Pretty much. Personally, I don't call that being more on time, but whatever. People are just defending whatever the current situation is.

In theory it's on-time if they're setting it as the expectation :lol:

I think around the time of the NA arena shows they were changing the start times for the first band around 9-9:30? I could be wrong, though.

My feeling has always been that the latenesses at the arena gigs are bullshit and the club shows are more tolerable. It's just the traffic hassle and waiting in a hockey rink for a show to start and just being tired from the wait. Then having to deal with leaving the arena at 2-3AM and dealing with more traffic and getting home by 4, depending where you lived.

Rock in Rio kind of made the whole "late = better singing" go out the window. Ron had said Sturgis was where he was going to quit and ride bitch with an audience member.

Edited by dalsh327

Besides waiting outside, I've never waited for Gn'R to hit the stage because I expect them to come on when most bands would be leaving the stage.

Not using that as an excuse and I don't disagree with BBF, but it's the reality we live in and the world that Gn'R/Axl operates in.

That said, it doesn't exactly bother me honestly.

Like I asked Russ, does it bother you in other situations?

A two hour delay with a flight, your dinner at a restaurant, an appointment, a movie theatre.

Imagine going to the doctor and being told "Black, your appointment was for 1 pm. But the doctor is chilling with the hot nurses and doesn't feel like working on patients yet.....so sit here and he'll probably see you around 3 pm."

I understand that this is what Axl does and we can like it or lump it. Nobody is forcing us to go to a concert.

I'm just surprised that people give him a free pass, when it is purely Axl's ego that is causing thousands of people to wait for him.

Russ and Volcano, I get that.

Maybe it's harder for those of us "older" fans, those of us with kids, and those of us who have to actually travel to go see GnR perform. I saw the band a couple years ago and had to get a babysitter in a strange city for my 1-year-old. So by the time we hop on the freeway, get our kid, drive back to the hotel....it's like 3 AM. The next morning everybody is cranky from lack of sleep and it effects that day of the vacation.

I know, I know ......."you are too old" and "it's rock n roll, suck it up" and all that. But man. When you pay $150 per person to go see a concert, I see nothing wrong with the band starting on time. It just shows respect for the fans. WHICH IS WHY even BBF thinks the late start times are ridiculous!!!!!

When band members are agreeing with the fans - then maybe there is something to it. We know izzy, duff, Sorum and Slash didn't like it. BBF doesn't like it. Other bands don't do it.

Again, with Gn'R I expect them to go on stage later, so I'm not disappointed. And as I just said, I think they've actually been changing the start times for the first band to later times, so that changes the expectations for when they're supposed to come on stage.

Not saying it's a free pass, and not saying they should start late, but if the ticket says a later time then you shouldn't be disappointed when the band comes on later.

Just my thoughts and I totally understand when people get upset with the situation, but it just doesn't bother me personally. When you're like me (and a bunch of other fans) and have been one of the first in line and waited all day to get in the actual building, you can wait a little longer for the band to hit the stage at that point.

Just my opinion.

I wanted to go see them in Manchester last year but didn't in the end mostly because I probably wouldn't have got home until 4am which would have meant on top of ticket and travel costs I would have to take the day off work, I was a temp at the time so wouldn't have been paid for that day. My husband would have needed to go to work late to take the kids to school, all for one concert. In addition to which none of my friends were willing to go with me for the same reasons. If it had been guaranteed an earlier start time it would have seemed doable. I can see why fans with less or more flexible life commitments are not as bothered, years ago it wouldn't have been a massive deal to me although as a personal trait lateness has always bugged me, I hate being late for anything.

The NA arena tour they did have the opening band start up to 2 hours later than what the ticket said.

Nashville TN is one example Black Label Society was suppost to start around the 730-8pm time they took the stage close to 9:30pm and people where pissed!!!!

A lot of people left demanding a refund before BLS took the stage and the venue did refund some of them if not all. The people I spoke to got there money back.

When they did the change over on the stage GNR came on fairly quickly they won the crowd over but it was rather hostile at first.

I don't call this being on time I call this manipulating things to appear as though you are doing things as you should.

Funny.

If it's because Axl needs time to relax, get his voice ready, etc.........fine.

But look at what the reality of the situation is.

One guy could arrive to the venue two hours earlier............OR...........20,000 people can just "toughen up" and wait an extra two hours.

One guy. 20,000 people. Which of those two should make a little extra effort?

Russ --- so you'd rather spend an extra two hours at a concert standing around doing nothing, rather than it starting on time and you getting to spend those extra two hours with your family or doing something else?

If you went to a restaurant or a movie theatre, and your dinner/movie started two hours late - would you complain or be happy? If your flight is delayed two hours, does it annoy you? Or you sit in a doctor's office waiting room for two hours extra......see my point?

I just don't get why people give Axl a pass on this issue.

When I got to concerts I make it a big event with myself and my friends. So we don't end up sitting around doing nothing. We drink, catch up, enjoy each others company and what not.

I also don't feel it's "giving Axl a pass", it's more not getting upset over what I can't change. When I buy a ticket to GN'R, I know based on past experience that they probably won't go on on time. Again, I'm not saying everyone should be ok with that, I'm saying I am.

I agree with Groghan but can also see your point which is why I don't go to NuGuns shows anymore as I know more often thn not Axl wil keep me waiting. We all know the deal so if you don't want to risk waiting you just don't go..........

Funny.

One guy could arrive to the venue two hours earlier............OR...........20,000 people can just "toughen up" and wait an extra two hours.

Russ --- so you'd rather spend an extra two hours at a concert standing around doing nothing, rather than it starting on time and you getting to spend those extra two hours with your family or doing something else?

If you went to a restaurant or a movie theatre, and your dinner/movie started two hours late - would you complain or be happy? If your flight is delayed two hours, does it annoy you? Or you sit in a doctor's office waiting room for two hours extra......see my point?

When I got to concerts I make it a big event with myself and my friends. So we don't end up sitting around doing nothing. We drink, catch up, enjoy each others company and what not.

I also don't feel it's "giving Axl a pass", it's more not getting upset over what I can't change. When I buy a ticket to GN'R, I know based on past experience that they probably won't go on on time. Again, I'm not saying everyone should be ok with that, I'm saying I am.

Perfectly said, Russ. It's not about giving anyone a pass. It's about knowing how things can and/or will be after being a fan for more than two decades and accepting the good with the bad and planning accordingly knowing full damn well there is nothing in my personal power to change anything. Which, is not to say that everyone must make the same call.

Ali

Honestly, I think Axl is so much better when he comes on later. Who gives a fuck about him being on time? I don't want him to be on time! It's so much more exciting experiencing the build-up and the moment when he does finally come on stage. OK, I admit, it can be hard on the old legs but, really, I don't want to see a GNR concert starting at 8.00 pm - who cares about work the next day, this is Axl for chrissakes!

Honestly, I think Axl is so much better when he comes on later. Who gives a fuck about him being on time? I don't want him to be on time! It's so much more exciting experiencing the build-up and the moment when he does finally come on stage. OK, I admit, it can be hard on the old legs but, really, I don't want to see a GNR concert starting at 8.00 pm - who cares about work the next day, this is Axl for chrissakes!

But the problem with that is there are many people who do have to care about work the next day, or I have even seen people here who have talked about how bus times and schedules for arriving and getting back home was hard to do

I know people will say "well then don't go see GNR" but why not just have GNR start at a reasonable time like nearly every other band in the world? To me it is a win-win as opposed to bringing in this sort of conflict and controversy

I for one am glad GNR has been better regarding this issue

But the problem with that is there are many people who do have to care about work the next day, or I have even seen people here who have talked about how bus times and schedules for arriving and getting back home was hard to do

I know people will say "well then don't go see GNR" but why not just have GNR start at a reasonable time like nearly every other band in the world? To me it is a win-win as opposed to bringing in this sort of conflict and controversy

I for one am glad GNR has been better regarding this issue

For me, I think deep down it feels like they're becoming mainstream if they start at a 'reasonable' time, and I would hate that! Also, I've seen quite a few bands in the last couple of years or so, including Slash, and not one of them started on time. OK, maybe not 2 hours late, but most were anything up to an hour late. I think the thing with Axl is that if he is allowed to come on at his time, then his performance will be so much better. At least, that's my experience.

Funny.

Perfectly said, Russ. It's not about giving anyone a pass. It's about knowing how things can and/or will be after being a fan for more than two decades and accepting the good with the bad and planning accordingly knowing full damn well there is nothing in my personal power to change anything. Which, is not to say that everyone must make the same call.

Ali

LOL, that isn't giving somebody a pass?

You know he has no respect for the fans, he's been doing it for two decades, I can't change it...........so we must plan accordingly and just accept it.

Ali, do you think coming on stage two hours late is an acceptable thing for Axl to do?

Do you think it is a respectful thing for Axl to do?

And do you give everybody the same leeway - movie theatre, restaurant reservations, etc?

WhazUp - great point.

Why doesn't Axl just do like every other band and force himself to come to the arena an hour earlier? Adjust his schedule, so 20,000 people aren't sitting around waiting? You've got 20,000 people paying 100-to-150 dollars to come see you perform, why not just take a little effort and come earlier? The majority of his band HATED it. Fans get annoyed by it. But some fans on here act like it's actually a good thing. Like seeing GnR play from 11-to-2 AM is a better experience than seeing them play from 9:30-to-12:30.

And why did Axl STOP doing it if it wasn't a bad thing? The last show I saw, GnR went on stage an hour after Loaded finished.

For me, I think deep down it feels like they're becoming mainstream if they start at a 'reasonable' time, and I would hate that! Also, I've seen quite a few bands in the last couple of years or so, including Slash, and not one of them started on time. OK, maybe not 2 hours late, but most were anything up to an hour late. I think the thing with Axl is that if he is allowed to come on at his time, then his performance will be so much better. At least, that's my experience.

I think that they have a reasonable start time now - not too early, not too late ;)

Axl fans are probably the dumbest fans I've come across. I visit message boards of about other 6 or 7 bands and Axl fans are the worst. Seriously, Trent and Manson have a lot of crazy goth chicks who would kill or die for them but they manage to be not as blind as Axl's army.

Edited by Aninha_Hudson

Coming on late just don't work in this day and age.

Yeah in 91 it was cool and RNR and the fans put up with it.

But the fans now don't want it and I think it shows in how the attendance has dropped. I know lack of a new song or album has hurt attendance but I would be willing to bet the lateness getting to the stage has been just as much of a impact.

I know Axl comes on late 99% of the time will that stop ME from buying a ticket no but, to an average or casual fan that went to a show a few years ago and says GNR are back in town remember last time when we had to wait 2 hours for them to hit the stage, I will pass on going to the show and that is happening, I have heard it first hand to many times.

To you people that say he should be late Axl will only get what he deserves in the end an empty arena or going back to playing clubs.

Gnr has become a joke the time it took for CD and being late coming on stage are the 2 biggest problems or jokes associated the band, can't do nothing about the first one but Axl can fix the 2nd one.

Lets say that GNR all are at the venue and ready to go at the scheduled start time, now a technical difficulty happens and they are 30 mins late, that is acceptable.

But if they are already 1.5 late then a problem comes up then it turns into 2-3 hours late.

I think it is pretty simple SHOW UP ON TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And 99.9% of the audience, crew, security, venue and last but not least the rest of the band are all happy with the on time kickass 2-3 hour show and everyone catches a ride home get some sleep and wake up saying that was an awesome show last night(with no complaints)!!!

Funny.

Ali

LOL, that isn't giving somebody a pass?

You know he has no respect for the fans, he's been doing it for two decades, I can't change it...........so we must plan accordingly and just accept it.

Ali, do you think coming on stage two hours late is an acceptable thing for Axl to do?

Do you think it is a respectful thing for Axl to do?

And do you give everybody the same leeway - movie theatre, restaurant reservations, etc?

WhazUp - great point.

Why doesn't Axl just do like every other band and force himself to come to the arena an hour earlier? Adjust his schedule, so 20,000 people aren't sitting around waiting? You've got 20,000 people paying 100-to-150 dollars to come see you perform, why not just take a little effort and come earlier? The majority of his band HATED it. Fans get annoyed by it. But some fans on here act like it's actually a good thing. Like seeing GnR play from 11-to-2 AM is a better experience than seeing them play from 9:30-to-12:30.

And why did Axl STOP doing it if it wasn't a bad thing? The last show I saw, GnR went on stage an hour after Loaded finished.

You don't get it, Groghan. Accepting that someone or something is going to be a particular way and you have no control over it, and you will therefore make an informed decision with assumed risk, is not the same as giving a blanket "it's o.k.". It's saying, "this is o.k. FOR ME", not "this is o.k. FOR EVERYONE". There is a distinct difference. If you cannot see the distinction, that is on you.

I choose to accept the good with the bad. I understand people with different family and/or transportation situations getting annoyed with the later starts. You and/or they are allowed to make a different choice. No choice is universally "right". It's about what is the right call for you personally given your circumstances.

Ali

Ron's the fucking man. Thankfully he is one dude that is very much in touch with the fans. God bless that motherfucker ! :)

It's probably fair to say that a large portion of the demographic of GnR live crowds are over 35 - 40 yrs old. I'm one of them. Loved GnR for a quarter of a fucking century ( damn it - it's been a rough ride! )... Older fans like me generally have responsibilities such as work and families etc, but also it's fucking annoying standing shoulder to shoulder with the younger crowds dealing with their shit for hours with nothing happenning ( trust me when you reach my age and standing front row in a GnR, Metallica, Slayer gig etc...you'll know what I mean.You just want to smack some of those dumb arse little young pricks at times).

Last four times I've seen GnR they have gone on around 8:30 pm and Its been so nice. Axl's voice was great too...

I also think any artist should be appreciative of the thousands of fans that turn up, pay their hard-earned money, and be part of creating a cool atmosphere for a good show. Surely the bands can be a little grateful for that, and for the lifestyle that affords them too. If they don't get that - fuck em'

Rant over

Thanks Ron for having the courage to speak your mind on things you believe in...

Coming on late just don't work in this day and age.

Yeah in 91 it was cool and RNR and the fans put up with it.

But the fans now don't want it and I think it shows in how the attendance has dropped. I know lack of a new song or album has hurt attendance but I would be willing to bet the lateness getting to the stage has been just as much of a impact.

I know Axl comes on late 99% of the time will that stop ME from buying a ticket no but, to an average or casual fan that went to a show a few years ago and says GNR are back in town remember last time when we had to wait 2 hours for them to hit the stage, I will pass on going to the show and that is happening, I have heard it first hand to many times.

To you people that say he should be late Axl will only get what he deserves in the end an empty arena or going back to playing clubs.

Gnr has become a joke the time it took for CD and being late coming on stage are the 2 biggest problems or jokes associated the band, can't do nothing about the first one but Axl can fix the 2nd one.

Lets say that GNR all are at the venue and ready to go at the scheduled start time, now a technical difficulty happens and they are 30 mins late, that is acceptable.

But if they are already 1.5 late then a problem comes up then it turns into 2-3 hours late.

I think it is pretty simple SHOW UP ON TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And 99.9% of the audience, crew, security, venue and last but not least the rest of the band are all happy with the on time kickass 2-3 hour show and everyone catches a ride home get some sleep and wake up saying that was an awesome show last night(with no complaints)!!!

The fans back in 91-93 made it a point to see GNR no matter what, and were more willing to put up with the delays. Tickets were a lot less and you got a phenomenal show.

I don't know about attendance dropping, they're not going to fill American arenas unless they co-headline, but I don't know if there's countries they rarely play where there would be more excitement to see them. I think if GNR called it a day and people missed out, that's their own fault. They've never done summer shed tours, probably because of the curfews some cities have.

What's really the point?

What is to say about this group that hasn't already been said? Is there still credibility to defend? GN'R, Team Brazil, The Axl Rose Consortium...I don't really know what to call this band. On top of that, it's operated by an ex-housekeeper, and her children -- adopted by the lead singer of a once relevant band, now milking its shadow for short-term profit. And when they're not feigning managerial acumen, they're getting into Twitter wars with teenagers.

• Like 3

heres what it does to the behind the scenes people and the band...it fucks with them as well. Your all reved up and ready to rock... your in your headspace and your adrenaline is juicing and your ready to go out and fucking entertain people ..only to peak early...crash and then have to booze up /coke up all over again. Duff tells a story about that.

the energy shifts to hostility ..people are sobering up and the moment is passing in the crowd.. that beer you had at 8:30 that you paid 10.00 for now makes you have to piss and it took you 2 hours to weasle your way to the front to see your favorite band and now you have to fucking go. Youve worked all day to get here and your fucking exhausted at 11 p.m. Its easy to see why people would resent the fuck out of that.. it does nothing to add to the atmosphere or the quality of the concert..if anything it makes them more critical.

Dublin was a picture of what fans should do to get the point across...make a fucking issue of it... theres no dangerous rock and roll or mystery attached to it...its another fuck you in you face from Axl and HIS COMPANY...Shit man get at least one part of your career and business right and thats do your fucking job and entertain them.

Thinking about Vancouver 02... Axl wasnt even in the country when he was supposed to be STARTING THE SHOW!!!!

• Like 1