People that refuse to listen to CD just because Slash isn't on it.

ITG

...I've heard this before. Actually it was in another (recent) thread. Someone was jabbering on about some other topic and threw out, "It's just like people that don't listen to CD because Slash isn't on it" ...or something like that. Just funny to read because to be honest, I don't listen to CD because well...LOL. It's funny Slash had nothing little to do with the album other than serve as inspiration and he is blamed for its failure. Yeah, the reason I just don't like CD is because Slash isn't on it. LOL.

My theory as to why people don't listen to CD:
Because they actually listened to it

Guns N' Roses' new album 'Chinese Democracy' has broken all records after being streamed on MySpace.

The album received around 25 listens a second up until today (November 21) after being streamed in full on the site yesterday (November 20).

Up until 4pm (GMT) today the title track had been played over 826,000 times, with the total amount of plays all the album tracks have received adding up to over 3 million.

The figures mean an average of 25 people per second were listening to one of the songs on the album at MySpace.com/gunsnroses.

The data means that the streaming of the album, dubbed a "listening party", has attracted the largest amount of listeners for an artist album stream launch on the site to date.

Head to MySpace.com/gunsnroses to hear 'Chinese Democracy' in full, and get the new issue of NME, out now, for a two-page review of the album.

Meanwhile, head to the NME Office Blog now to have your say on 'Chinese Democracy'.

You can also view a special photo gallery devo

http://www.nme.com/news/guns-n-roses/41217

good thread, totally couldnt have gone in the thread you specified

It was an entirely unrelated thread from a few months back. I thought the statement from the poster was still profound because I only remember seeining something like that years ago when CD was actually released. Bizarre seeing conspiracies like that still around in people's minds.

I recall Myspace showing the number of times each track was listened to and it was really big for CD and Shackler's and then dropped massively. I think people heard those first two songs and assumed the rest of the album had the same sound and didn't bother with the rest.

Agreed.

Yes, to an extent, those kinds of people did exist, but it was grossly exaggerated.

People were weary that GNR could be carry on without Slash, but most did give it a chance before figuring out they were right.

Edited by Bobbo

I can't imagine many ppl just rejected the music out of hand because of slash. On the contrary, the curiosity factor with the recording time & notoriety of the album should've attracted alot of extra listeners. Given how sales turned out, that's not a reassuring thought.

Radio singles should've short-circuited any slash prejudice anyway. How can you totally avoid the radio?

Choosing cd instead of better as the first single undermined the momentum, then the middling quality of many of the tracks finished the job. The truth for most ppl is that they did listen, and didn't like the music much.

It wasn't like tons of people actively boycotted the album cuz Slash wasn't on it. Rather, they gave a couple songs a cursory listen since they couldn't be bothered to listen to, let alone buy a whole album from the presumably washed up lead singer of a late 80s/early 90s rock band and, after being unimpressed with the couple songs they heard, decided the rest of the album wasn't worth their time. Sounds perfectly reasonable to me.

There's people who lost interest in GNR years ago and had no interest in hearing new music from them regardless of whether or not Slash was in it. Someone who liked the old music might not like the new music.

Axl knew CD had high potential to fail and backfire, that's part of why they made the Best Buy deal instead of try to put it out there and promote it like crazy.

• Like 1

There's people who lost interest in GNR years ago and had no interest in hearing new music from them regardless of whether or not Slash was in it. Someone who liked the old music might not like the new music.

Axl knew CD had high potential to fail and backfire, that's part of why they made the Best Buy deal instead of try to put it out there and promote it like crazy.

I'd love to have been in that meeting to hear Azoff spin his bullshit. Phrases like 'most anticipated album of the century' and 'rabid interest in low quality demos' would've been coming thick and fast.

The thing that amazes me is that best buy were taken in so completely. All they needed was to draft in one independent expert for advice. They could've got one of us for fifty bucks plus expenses and saved themselves millions of dollars.

A fool and his money are soon parted.

Their loss if they don't listen to the album because of such reasons.

Those people would never have loved it any way IMO, they would never give it a fair shot.

I don't care about that, I listen to CD a lot (and I'm sure they don't care about that as well :lol:)

Guns N' Roses' new album 'Chinese Democracy' has broken all records after being streamed on MySpace.

The album received around 25 listens a second up until today (November 21) after being streamed in full on the site yesterday (November 20).

Up until 4pm (GMT) today the title track had been played over 826,000 times, with the total amount of plays all the album tracks have received adding up to over 3 million.

The figures mean an average of 25 people per second were listening to one of the songs on the album at MySpace.com/gunsnroses.

The data means that the streaming of the album, dubbed a "listening party", has attracted the largest amount of listeners for an artist album stream launch on the site to date.

Head to MySpace.com/gunsnroses to hear 'Chinese Democracy' in full, and get the new issue of NME, out now, for a two-page review of the album.

Meanwhile, head to the NME Office Blog now to have your say on 'Chinese Democracy'.

You can also view a special photo gallery devo

http://www.nme.com/news/guns-n-roses/41217

Exactly.

The number of people who haven't listened to at least ONE song off of CD simply because Slash isn't on it is miniscule.

The number of posters on here who say they know of thousands of people who refuse to listen to CD because Slash isn't on it........18.

Just another excuse so Axl isn't to blame for the lack of GnR success without Slash. Sort of funny to watch.

Guest cbgnr666

How long do you think it would take Slash to learn CD songs if Axl let him back in the band?

1.couple of minutes like Bumblefoot

2.A few months

3.A couple of years

4.We wouldn't live long enough to find out

Edited by cbgnr666

...I've heard this before. Actually it was in another (recent) thread. Someone was jabbering on about some other topic and threw out, "It's just like people that don't listen to CD because Slash isn't on it" ...or something like that. Just funny to read because to be honest, I don't listen to CD because well...LOL. It's funny Slash had nothing little to do with the album other than serve as inspiration and he is blamed for its failure. Yeah, the reason I just don't like CD is because Slash isn't on it. LOL.

How long do you think it would take Slash to learn CD songs if Axl let him back in the band?

1.couple of minutes like Bumblefoot

2.A few months

3.A couple of years

4.We wouldn't live long enough to find out

Slash can't touch BH's solos. BBF, on the other hand, can.