Gene Simmons says Ace and Peter will not perform with them at the Rock Hall Of Fame

classicguns4life

The Calgary Herald in Calgary, Canada did an article on KISS for tonight's show. The picture they used :rofl-lol: That's Ace, not Tommy :lol:

tumblr_mvyxvpspFI1rliddzo1_1280.jpg

You're an idiot. Thats Tommy.

See, this is why Gene and Paul don't really care about them using the makeup. The idiot casuals which make up most people can't even tell the two apart, even when they think they can! That couldn't be more clearly Tommy in the picture they used

Now really, just to throw this out there: IMO, Paul's importance in KISS > Gene + Ace + Peter + Vinnie + Carr + St.John + Kullick + Singer + Tommy.

Paul is absolutely one of the most important members of KISS. Without a doubt he is more important than Gene and Peter, even though Gene is the one thats kept the name out there I guess.

The thing is, KISS isn't KISS without Ace Frehley. The classic KISS sound is all Ace, and whether you like him or not IMO he was the most important member. He may not have written the anthems or been the frontman, but without his guitar playing they were quite unremarkable. Paul and Gene are great frontmen and know how to put on a show, but when you're actually talking about music, Ace was what set them apart. Though I do know what you mean about Paul. He's the bridge between good musically and excellent frontman. Ace can't put on a show the Paul has done with KISS in the last 40 years, and Paul's contributions to the band are just huge. Paul is able to single-handily do everything in the band (he's able to make the music sound diverse musically whereas all of Gene's stuff sounds exactly the same and has the exact same approach), EXCEPT that Paul can't replace Ace's signature sound. I'd say its a toss up between those two as to whose more important. Ace absolutely in the sound and breaking KISS apart from the mold, Paul for literally everything else.

He played a pretty big part of KISS in the 80's, no matter how Gene wants to downplay it.

Wrote songs on Creatures, Lick It Up and Revenge, pretty much their best 80s records and had his own unique makeup.

I don't see it happening, but he is worthy if Eric Singer is.

After the original line-up, Vinnie's the most important KISS member.

Pretty much, definitely in terms of writing. The best Revenge and 80s songs (at least the ones they played live) were co-written by his.

In terms of just keeping KISS going, Bruce Kulick and Eric Carr are the other ones that kept stuff afloat. They didn't really write, at least not as much as Vinnie, but they were instrumental in keeping that band on the road and giving the band a sound that was different than the original band but still good musically.

I wouldn't necessarily agree with it, but I'd also guess many would say Eric Carr was the most important KISS member after the original lineup.

Bruce Kulick had a BIG hand in the bad-ass sound of Revenge and even (besides his own parts) wrote and played a lot of Gene's bass parts as he did throughout his tenure overall, and an even bigger hand on Carnival Of Souls, both which tower over the albums made since. In fact no other member of KISS wrote as much with Gene and Paul as Bruce Kulick did, the longer he was in the band the more integral to their overall sound were his contributions.

Kulick details his contributions on those 2 albums very well on his site -

http://kulick.net/revenge/?submit=revenge300x150

http://kulick.net/carnivalofsouls/?submit=carnivalofsouls300x110

Vinnie Vincent tried to claim credit for some of Kulick's work on Revenge! eg. the solo on Unholy :

Paul & Gene on why KISS fired Vinnie Vincent http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_5_8PLg7Fw

Guest Len B'stard

Don't you sometimes get sick of these fuckin' tarts? Not having a go at no ones favourite band or anything but it's like, whenever one of these Hall of Fame things happens and all this malarkey it's always like 'i ain't playing with him' and blah blah blah etc with every fuckin' band on earth, while thousands of fans sigh and frown about it…am i the only one who, after a while just couldn't give a toss anymore? The idea of these things is always a lot better than the reality anyway, if any of these knackered old fannies don't feel like holding hands together on a stage and making a few people watching on the telly crack a smile for a couple of minutes then, oh well, their loss, fuck em :shrugs:

Don't you sometimes get sick of these fuckin' tarts? Not having a go at no ones favourite band or anything but it's like, whenever one of these Hall of Fame things happens and all this malarkey it's always like 'i ain't playing with him' and blah blah blah etc with every fuckin' band on earth, while thousands of fans sigh and frown about it…am i the only one who, after a while just couldn't give a toss anymore? The idea of these things is always a lot better than the reality anyway, if any of these knackered old fannies don't feel like holding hands together on a stage and making a few people watching on the telly crack a smile for a couple of minutes then, oh well, their loss, fuck em :shrugs:

So you would suggest pretending that they like and respect each other personally and all that just for the occassion then?

Its really not always like that. Happens to be like that with KISS and GNR. Before that, it wasn't happening as much. Its happened with Van Halen and Blondie over the years but otherwise there isn't usually this much bullshit.

Guest Len B'stard

So you would suggest pretending that they like and respect each other personally and all that just for the occassion then?

Firstly my comment was broader than just referring to the Hall of Fame and no, you can dislike each other all you want but it's about being professional and it's about some sense of responsibility to your audience or at very least to behave like adults and perhaps go a little out of your way to serve your audience, lest you find yourself without one one day. I mean, to have gotten together in the first place they must've been mates at some point, can they not just get over their egos for five minutes just to do the right thing?

I mean, in all walks of life, from factories floors to football teams men and women work together that, perhaps, aren't completely in love with each other and some actively dislike each other, just cuz you don't like the winger don't mean you don't pass the ball.

It's this insufferable immaturity and disregard for the audience that grinds my gears. I mean, for better or worse, you've created something that is important to a great many people…and all you can do is act like tarts about it, this is another reason i think why less and less people give a fuck about popular music anymore, because of this hackneyed charade that the audience is subjected to once the band are done grafting for your attention, have achieved a modicum of success and decided now that they've had enough money out of you to keep the electric meter going and the swimming pools well warmed, that it's mission accomplished.

I suppose it's their life and they can do what they want with it but by the same token my tongue is my tongue and if i see fit to call them wankers with it when their behaviour calls for it I shall do so without reservation.

I actually enjoy the soap opera bullshit. Let's face it, the HoF is complete cack so about the only interesting thing about it is the bullshit. Axl's letters and Adler's 'scabs' comment were a classic case of this.

Me too at one point but quite frankly i find nothing entertaining anymore in the bickering of self-serving strangers.

Its really not always like that. Happens to be like that with KISS and GNR. Before that, it wasn't happening as much. Its happened with Van Halen and Blondie over the years but otherwise there isn't usually this much bullshit.

It happened with The Stones, with happened with The Beatles, it bordered on happening with The Who, it's just the same old boring yap-yap-yap bullshit since forever. The Ramones are an example though, the lead singer and lead guitarist despised each other for over a decade, a deep hatred but also a bond of sorts because, for better or worse they were The Ramones and that had and has a value to people and they understood that and had respect for it. Mick and Keith are sort of there now (not a moment too soon i might add) where they've kind of accepted their differences and on some level come to understand that it is these differences that makes them what they are….and what they are, dare i say, is something quite important, a footnote in history if you will.

It's not even specifically Kiss that i'm talking about, more the routinous cycle of it all and how boring it eventually becomes.

Edited by sugaraylen

Guest Len B'stard

It is Coronation Street.

So Len, what is your opinion on the Kiss induction haha? Do you think Kulick or Carr should have got in?

I don't know, i have absolutely no idea of anything to do with KISS, they always struck me as a sort of dreary neutered hoax of a band. Rock n Roll panto.

Edited by sugaraylen

Guest Len B'stard

Heaven forbid :lol: Were i around in the time of KISS i'd probably be found more likely sniffing around The New York Dolls, bands like KISS are anathema to me. In fact I consider the Dolls to be an interesting counterpoint to KISS, i remember reading in some book or another that KISS were inspired (or uninspired) by seeing The Dolls because they thought they could never be pretty like that so they kind of went down the path of being beasts if you like. The kind of perverse trashy glamour of something like The Dolls appeals to me, KISS just look like a bunch of wrestlers with guitars and furthermore their fan base appear to be similar to that of wrestling.

There has to be something sharp, something attention grabbing, something that points toward some sort of substance for something to catch my interest. Pre-punk, out of the 70s, i'd probably be found more towards the Bowie, Marc Bolan end of things, The Dolls, Lou Reed was quite fabulous too, something with content, something reasonably literate.

Guest Len B'stard

OK, that should be punishable by death :lol: They should be stuffed in tumbrels and paraded through the streets like the heretical evil that they are and bought to swift guillotine justice!

Edited by sugaraylen

Here in Brazil, it was probably one of the coolest, most chilled-back crows I've been to a rock concert with. Much, much better than the Guns N' Roses crowd. Appart from the 80s mullet-people and the Poison-looking people I saw in the crowd, it seemed to be normal dudes who loved KISS back in the heyday and have now families of their own, taking their kids and all. Pretty cool to see.

Edited by Cosmonaut

Firstly my comment was broader than just referring to the Hall of Fame and no, you can dislike each other all you want but it's about being professional and it's about some sense of responsibility to your audience or at very least to behave like adults and perhaps go a little out of your way to serve your audience, lest you find yourself without one one day. I mean, to have gotten together in the first place they must've been mates at some point, can they not just get over their egos for five minutes just to do the right thing?

I mean, in all walks of life, from factories floors to football teams men and women work together that, perhaps, aren't completely in love with each other and some actively dislike each other, just cuz you don't like the winger don't mean you don't pass the ball.

It's this insufferable immaturity and disregard for the audience that grinds my gears. I mean, for better or worse, you've created something that is important to a great many people…and all you can do is act like tarts about it, this is another reason i think why less and less people give a fuck about popular music anymore, because of this hackneyed charade that the audience is subjected to once the band are done grafting for your attention, have achieved a modicum of success and decided now that they've had enough money out of you to keep the electric meter going and the swimming pools well warmed, that it's mission accomplished.

I suppose it's their life and they can do what they want with it but by the same token my tongue is my tongue and if i see fit to call them wankers with it when their behaviour calls for it I shall do so without reservation.

Shut up, KISS kicks ass. That is all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNKJ4SPj_Rw

Agree KISS does kick ass and their legendary status is intact. They profoundly impacted my life as one as my first rock n' roll influences.

As far as that video: WOW, I found the song decent for the time but it doesn't hold up (that's okay) but I have to say on a superficial

note that Gene and Paul are incredibly unsexy in it almost and everytime the latter touched a hot girl it seemed like awkward girl on girl action.

Yet here the hotness in their less masculine glam rock/disco classic drives me over the edge: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmELf8DJAVY

Not that it is their best but what fun!

And I said here twice already that I'll take KISS to Nirvana. I have seen KISS twice and they put on the best show around. "You wanted the

best......

I also wish Chuck's full interview about The Elder would appear again, it was such a great read: http://www.kissasylum.com/news/2012/11/21/chuck-klosterman-the-elder-helps-psychopathy-kiss/

• Like 1

Ace and Peter don't mind Gene and Paul, but they really can't stand Tommy Thayer and McGhee.

If they get inducted, I highly doubt they'll perform in makeup, maybe the band playing their music will be. I do think "Rock N' Roll All Night" would be the closing song of the night unless they go with a blues jam.

I like seeing any band acknowledged in there, in about 20 years, they're not going to have much to pick from.

Agree KISS does kick ass and their legendary status is intact. They profoundly impacted my life as one as my first rock n' roll influences.

As far as that video: WOW, I found the song decent for the time but it doesn't hold up (that's okay) but I have to say on a superficial

note that Gene and Paul are incredibly unsexy in it almost and everytime the latter touched a hot girl it seemed like awkward girl on girl action.

Yet here the hotness in their less masculine glam rock/disco classic drives me over the edge: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmELf8DJAVY

Not that it is their best but what fun!

And I said here twice already that I'll take KISS to Nirvana. I have seen KISS twice and they put on the best show around. "You wanted the

best......

I also wish Chuck's full interview about The Elder would appear again, it was such a great read: http://www.kissasylum.com/news/2012/11/21/chuck-klosterman-the-elder-helps-psychopathy-kiss/

KISS are THE best at what they do, and that's being a fun party good-time tongue-in-cheek rock band. They have THE coolest career out of any band I know, they've been through everything, so many phases and experimentation, they're just awesome. I've been to 2 KISS concerts in my life: ALIVE 35 and MONSTER tour. They were both amazing. ESPECIALLY Alive 35, since Paul was in much better shape back then. I hope I get to see 'em again. Next time I'll be sure to buy a meet-and-greet package.

One thing I love about KISS is, if I wanted to take my fandom to another level, I'd be doomed. There's no end to the amount of KISS merch out there, the possibilities for hardcore fans are immense. I love that. With Guns N' Roses you got nothing, I WANT to but Guns N' Roses stuff but what's there to buy? The Guns N' Roses scented candle? The Guns N' Roses official calendar? It's ridiculous. I AM SURE the KISS fan base is one of the most fulfilled fan bases out there. Yes, the original line-up isn't together anymore but THEY TRIED. It just didn't work out, unfortunately. Still, Tommy and Eric are still pretty good. You can say what you want about Tommy but in the end, he's just wearing Ace's Make-Up 'cause Gene and Paul want him to. He's doing an amazing job songwriting-wise with the band, he's an awesome singer himself and if he just had his own character, which wouldn't be so bad, IMO and same with Singer, it'd be awesome. 'Cause these last two albums have been the best thing KISS has done since Dynasty or maybe even Love Gun.

Speaking of which, I gave unmasked a listen earlier today. What a cool, corny disco album that is. I actually like a few songs in there pretty much! Naked City, Tomorrow, Easy As It Seems, Torpedo Girl, Two Sides Of The Coin are pretty cool songs, actually. Love how present Ace is on that album.

• Like 2

Ace and Peter don't mind Gene and Paul, but they really can't stand Tommy Thayer and McGhee.

If they get inducted, I highly doubt they'll perform in makeup, maybe the band playing their music will be. I do think "Rock N' Roll All Night" would be the closing song of the night unless they go with a blues jam.

I like seeing any band acknowledged in there, in about 20 years, they're not going to have much to pick from.

I've seen Ace Frehely interviews and I think he really hates Gene the most.

I still don't know how Gene and Paul can keep the two other originals members of Kiss from going to the Hall of Fame induction. Maybe they can decide not to perform with them, but can they really keep them out?

Well, I guess this is turning out to be more interesting than Axl and Izzy not showing up. lol

Generally Ace doesn't go out of his way to shit can them, but yeah Gene seems to be the one he has the biggest gripe with...and who can blame him?

When you watch the Tom Snyder interview, that is classic Gene- he is a fucking cock.

He's dull, boring and totally self absorbed-and he just talks a load of bollocks.

I love (most of) his music, but he is a vile fuck.

Ace is a fuckup, but he is rock n roll through and through-I believe one of his main problems with Gene is his relentless marketing of KISS and it's de-valuation of their music.

Peter is the really bitter one, but I get where he is coming from.

"The other two" were the rock n roll side of KISS, Gene and Paul are...Gene and Paul.

And Cosmonaut: fuck yeah, Torpedo Girl is totally addictive!