why is new gnr criticized for not being original members, but AC/DC gets a pass?

Sprite

Back in Black is awesome and it sold a ton. So that must have helped. But CD was doomed before it was released, its as good as Back in Black.

Oh do me a favour Wasted, for fuckssake.
Do you like Back in Black that much, its ok. But CD has much better songs.

Back isnt as good as the ones with Bon Scott. And CD isnt as good as AFD, so they say.

So really its more Axls bad PR that makes GNR less accepted.

Edited by wasted

Guest Len B'stard

Back in Black is awesome and it sold a ton. So that must have helped. But CD was doomed before it was released, its as good as Back in Black.

Back isnt as good as the ones with Bon Scott. And CD isnt as good as AFD, so they say.

Y'know, in the last 9 years of posting alongside you on this forum, and judging by whatever info one can glean from a persons posts on the internet, your Guns n Roses fandom makes the least sense about you compared to every other aspect of your personality :lol:

Y'know, in the last 9 years of posting alongside you on this forum, and judging by whatever info one can glean from a persons posts on the internet, your Guns n Roses fandom makes the least sense about you compared to every other aspect of your personality :lol:
You dont like GNR?

Guest Len B'stard

You dont like GNR?

As they stand? I don't have any feelings about em one way or another. Back in the day, original line up? Bangin' fuckin' band. Not the second coming of The Stones like people try to make out but still a good hard fuckin' band that made decent tunes and had that look in their eye that fuckin' good bands seem to have.

CD does not deserve to be spoken in the same thread as Back in Black and I am not even the world's biggest DC fan.

Oh please spare me the bullshit.

Back In Black is more iconic which is normal, it's been around since 1980 or 1981 but it's not better music than CD.

Guest Len B'stard

CD does not deserve to be spoken in the same thread as Back in Black and I am not even the world's biggest DC fan.

Oh please spare me the bullshit.

Back In Black is more iconic which is normal, it's been around since 1980 or 1981 but it's not better music than CD.

Iconic and old are not the same thing :lol:

It is iconic, old and just fuckin better in every way than Chinese Democracy. By the way, I am not one of those people who think CD 'sucks ass' because I actually think it has a few decent songs on there, but, in the same category as Back in Black? No.

Its not about comparing them directly. Back in black wasnt as good as past AcDC albums. But it was accepted.

CD isnt as good, but it got completely rejected. I guess obviously the ratio is reversed of band members. Plus production and not hard rock enough. But really no Slash is the key. If Axl sang on Apocalyptic Love it would be different story.

Guest Len B'stard

I guess it has a lot to do with the way you approach an album. If you approach it like a critic then you can pick it apart but if you approach it like a fan then you kinda see (and perhaps sometimes unwittingly accentuate) in your own mind, it's good points.

I give people like 'cano a hard time for liking Chi Dem but if i'm being fair, how different is his loving a pretty shit sub-standard (by GnR standards) album than my listen to a 29 second demo of The Sex Pistols trying to do Through My Eyes by The Creation and going 'WOW-WEEE, IT'S THE MOST AMAZING THING I'VE EVER HEARD, IF ONLY THEY'D'VE FINISHED RECORDING IT!' when, c'mon, how can you possibly tell from that kind of snippet. It's about how you approach it.

But then i think i did approach Chi Dem with a fans eye view, it's why i loved a good few of the songs on it and still do but truth be told it's pretty dire really. It doesn't really bear scrutiny but if you just fall in love with the music it's something else.

At very least it was like hearing from a really old mate that you ain't seen in ages and you're pulling for him to do good. One thing I will say is when i first heard the leaks of like,TWAT, Madagascar i was thinkin' like 'this albums gonna be pretty fuckin' good!'.

Edited by sugaraylen

True, the dynamics, attitude, Axls vocals, persona set GNR apart. Okay the playing is more natural sounding on AFD but a lot of CD is very similar to UYI and AFD. A lot of lyrics points of view are the same. OIAM, Catcher both liberal baiting.

But yes no drinking anthems or heroin ditties on CD. No Slash, who was with Duff almost like one of the fans. You could get a bad biker jacket, a band shirt and jeans and bottle of meths a live like Slash. People understand Slash and his music. Axl is more interesting, he has something more to say.

Slash made Axls ballads less gay. And Axl wrote cool lyrics for Slashs rock n roll songs, or Izzys whoever wrote them.

I think maybe by the time it came out everyone had changed. if I got CD when I was 17, id think it was the great thing ever. But in few years give me bob dylan album, a rocking chair and tube to eat through.

Axl will probably be up on stage 60 with middle finger up "fuck you"

Edited by wasted

Guest Len B'stard

True, the dynamics, attitude, Axls vocals, persona set GNR apart. Okay the playing is more natural sounding on AFD but a lot of CD is very similar to UYI and AFD. A lot of lyrics points of view are the same. OIAM, Catcher both liberal baiting.

But yes no drinking anthems or heroin ditties on CD. No Slash, who was with Duff almost like one of the fans. You could get a bad biker jacket, a band shirt and jeans and bottle of meths a live like Slash. People understand Slash and his music. Axl is more interesting, he has something more to say.

Slash made Axls ballads less gay. And Axl wrote cool lyrics for Slashs rock n roll songs, or Izzys whoever wrote them.

I don't think Axl does have anything more to say though. Honestly, i don't think he's ever done more than bordered on being interesting in the sense of having something to say, it's all pretty back of a cereal box stuff, what made Guns good was the power and the passion. Its interesting you say it sounds less natural, thats probably the best condensed answer of criticism of Chi Dem that i've heard. When things don't sound natural the passion dissapates and for a band that, in my opinion, buckets and buckets and buckets of passion was one of the main major things they had going for it, thats a fucking death knell.

Edited by sugaraylen

I don't think Axl does have anything more to say though. Honestly, i don't think he's ever done more than bordered on being interesting in the sense of having something to say, it's all pretty back of a cereal box stuff, what made Guns good was the power and the passion. Its interesting you say it sounds less natural, thats probably the best condensed answer of criticism of Chi Dem that i've heard. When things don't sound natural the passion dissapates and for a band that, in my opinion, buckets and buckets and buckets of passion was one of the main major things they had going for it, thats a fucking death knell.
In a musical sense, Axl is more Queen, hes going write about not being a sell out, or Catcher in the Rye. Slash seems more like just write about the JD label. Axls input is underrated. His whole conceptualization of the situations they were in is missed. Whether its the name of the album, lyrics, songs like Nov Rain really turned GNR from a great rock n roll band into megastars. Not mention his stage persona, show etc.

CD is like a tour of 90s alternative like AFD was run through 70s rock.

Its just Korn and NIN are more stale and less passionate than ACDC and Aerosmith.

Art is contrived, the trick is to make seem like it isnt. Like Nirvana, we cant play our instruments. Look at the Stones, concentrating like fuck as they try to look like they dont care. But really they are all tight and professional musicians.

ACDC replaced Dave Evans (bass) in 76 or so, Cliff Williams has been there ever since.

Bon died and they got Brian...who is probably the greatest "replacement" in rock and roll

Phil Rudd left, they got Simon Wright, he left and they got the bald guy from The Firm/Manfred Man and then replaced him with Phil Rudd in 95 and that's it.

So they have 4 former members in 40 years, and one of them only left cause he died.

Now have a look at GNR...

Malcolm Young is the leader of AC/DC, he's the one who signed off on the iTunes. and George Young was involved in helping them put the band together and how they were able to avoid being told what to record (although Atlantic chopped their albums up) or be forced to put a greatest hits album out. In Australia, I think Albert Records is still an independent label, so it could be said they're on the most profitable indie label in the world.

Those bands get a pass because they haven't had a revolving door of musicians like Axl has combined with him only putting out one album in the past 20 years. If Axl had really decided to carry on the GnR name and release albums every few years, then a lot of the bashing wouldn't have happened.

Like it or not, back in black is as classic as anything GnR has done and in terms of relevance in rock music history- it blows away CD. And I say that as somebody who loves CD and rarely listens to AC/DC. Even as broke down to the fact that you can tell the song Back in Black by ONE note. One second of the song and 90% of rock fans would know what the song is. Jungle gets played at almost every NFL football game today, 25 years after its release. CD didn't or won't ever have 100th of that kind of impact.

And lol at people who continually bash other bands or genres of music. Is it an insecurity issue? Music is meant to be enjoyed. Who cares if somebody has a difference in musical preference than you do. I don't really like bands like AC/DC and Motorhead because I don't like the gravely sounds of the singer's voices and the chunkiness of how most of the songs sound. But I don't hate them, I don't hate their fans, I don't see the need to make fun of or insult their fans. Just makes no sense to me. Lots of my friends don't understand why I love GnR so much.

Why anybody cares what type of music other people listen to...... :shrugs:

Slash is way too iconic a guitarist for people not to associate him with GNR. These days he's a far more popular member of any line-up of GNR than anyone else, and I'm sure back in the day he probably gave Axl a run for his money in terms of popularity (that's also why Slash probably thought he could go it alone in terms of success without Axl (Marc mentioned this in a post a while back), but people didn't warm to Snakepit as much as he seemed to expect). I can't think of a more well-known guitarist off the top of my head; the mononym certainly helps, Slash is easier to remember (and pronounce, for foreign folks) than even Jimmy Page or Brian May.

The closest we got to a guitarist in GNR after that with an "image" that could come close to Slash's was Buckethead. And there was never a nuGNR song that grabbed the public. With a video, I think Better could have done pretty well in 2006 or so.

For people to have accepted a "New GNR", there would have to have been a) a catchy single b) a video to go with that single and c) a musician other than Axl, preferably a lead guitarist, to identify with the single in a) (and ideally featured in b)). Oh, and not to wait for a decade. None of that happened.

tl;dr: I can't believe this is a real question.