Would you support Guns N' Roses without Axl Rose?

Bono

Ohhhhhhhh.....you mean the CD written by Buckethead, Robin, Paul Tobias, Brain and Josh Freese?

I hope you haven't listed those musicians in order of prominence because Buckethead helped write a mere three songs on Chinese Democracy.

FUCK NO

Axl IS Guns N' Roses. If they all formed a band with Tommy, Ron and Dizzy singing I'd most lilely be a big fan, but they shouldn't call themselves GNR

100% agreed. It'd be really, really funny if they called themselves "Guns N' Roses," but that'd never happen. If Axl left the guys would probably dissipate.

I think there's really only two ways to view of what comprises GN'R:

1. GN'R is like NIN with Axl is the sole member it all largely comes from him. The people around him write, assist and bring a lot to the table. Axl would prefer that they stay as long as possible, but they can, ultimately, leave and be replaced.

Or

2. GN'R is like the Stones, with a lead singer & guitarist combination that there'd be no band without. You'd need, at least, the two of them (I.E. - There currently is no band because there is no Slash).

I recognize some people are purists and want Duff and crew back, but I'm just speaking sort of generally.

In either view, there is no GN'R without the lead singer, so I'm not too sure how people, no matter what view is taken, could accept an Axl-less Guns N' Roses.

Edited by BangoSkank

There are too many conflicting styles. The only reason it works with Axl is because uses the style available which applies to a certain song. It's an NIN approach really.

Tommy - punk, refined punk

Bumblefoot - virtuoso, quirky

Dj - uninspired, generic

Dizzy - piano driven

Pitman - technology

Then you have Frank and Richard who are relatively unproven as far as songwriting. It would never work as an independent songwriting unit.

Edited by NGOG

Yeah take Axl out and you get shit like the Hall of Fame Fake GNR

That was one of the weirdness catastrophes in music history.

That's like D'arcy, James and Jimmy accepting an award for Smashing Pumpkins. Unbelievable.

The whole deabcle gets better with Gilby and Myles :lol:

Edited by volcano62
  • Like 1

That's like D'arcy, James and Jimmy accepting an award for Smashing Pumpkins. Unbelievable.

Lol Myles :lol: The worst Axl performance was still 10x better than that performance. And oh, Gilby. Must have sucked to not be inducted but still be asked to play with the band.
  • Like 1

You know, Slash and Izzy wrote as much as Axl did and Izzy was just as much a founding member as Axl was. At no point 1985-91 was GN'R 'Axl's band'. Then, Axl began to take over. But up until the Illusion band, it was a band of equals.

They were all equals except that Steven was a little less equal.

Lol Myles :lol: The worst Axl performance was still 10x better than that performance. And oh, Gilby. Must have sucked to not be inducted but still be asked to play with the band.

It's like Gilby got slapped in the face twice :awesomeface:

Hahaha Myles what a disgrace...I feel bad for him that Slash made him a laughing stock.

• Like 1

It's like Gilby got slapped in the face twice :awesomeface:

Hahaha Myles what a disgrace...I feel bad for him that Slash made him a laughing stock.

I like Alter Bridge, but Slash tries to have him sing in high voice in a (failed) attempt to emulate Axl all the time. It's really sad actually.

The OP asks the question "Would you support GN'R without Axl Rose?". He then went on to speak about the current line up and it's potential. I'm not sure why anyone keeps bringing up older members of GN'R.

Because I said if Axl wasn't there, it would turn into the fakeGuns that played at the Hall of Fame Edited by wfuckinga

The OP asks the question "Would you support GN'R without Axl Rose?". He then went on to speak about the current line up and it's potential. I'm not sure why anyone keeps bringing up older members of GN'R.

Because I said if Axl wasn't there, it would turn into the fakeGuns that played at the Hall of Fame

Right, which is the type of thing that derails a thread like this. Please try to keep things on topic.