Buckethead's contract

whatashame

whatashame, on 30 Oct 2013 - 3:06 PM, said:

Hello,

On the day that Buckethead left GNR in 2oo4 - did he do so despite still being under contract to the band, or did he simply choose not to sign a new contract once the old one expired?

Does anybody have any info on that?

Cheers

My guess he was still under contract, but just as any employment contract, if you quit your job without giving notice, you could forfeit any further payments - including any money still owed to you?

All we know is he bailed before they were supposed to do a major show. His contract was probably up and it happened at the worst possible time. They probably threw a bunch of money at him but he blew them off. Brain's the only one who discusses anything to do with why Buckethead left.

Edited by dalsh327

One rumour going around at that time was that Guns kept him on the payroll till the end of the year (2004), hoping he'd come back. Previously they seemed to deal in 2-year contracts (Freese, Finck) so my guess is that either his contract had expired, or they switched over to weekly or monthly contracts by then.

• Like 1

I'm thinking Axl knew if one guitar player could blow Slash out of the water it was Bucket. But after Bucket left, we were stuck with Bumble and Ashba. Hence why Axl is bitter with Bucket and why CD wasn't promote.

With regard to his contract, well, that is an enigma!!!

I'm thinking Axl knew if one guitar player could blow Slash out of the water it was Bucket. But after Bucket left, we were stuck with Bumble and Ashba. Hence why Axl is bitter with Bucket and why CD wasn't promote.

Assumptions are fun I guess......Stuck with Bumble and Ashba? I don't get it...

Nobody is holding a gun to your head forcing you to follow GNR if you are unhappy.

• Like 1

Nobody is holding a gun to your head forcing you to follow GNR if you are unhappy.

I'm very happy within myself :) I'm not the one attacking other posters on a guns n roses forum.

I have put money into this product, I can point out its mediocrities whenever I want...

Edited by ARBeast
  • Like 1

I'm very happy within myself :) I'm not the one attacking other posters on a guns n roses forum.

I have put money into this product, I can point out its mediocrities whenever I want...

Attacking? Are you hurt or something?

So from now on I'm going to attack everyone by saying "Assumptions are fun" :headbang:

So from now on I'm going to attack everyone by saying "Assumptions are fun" :headbang:

No but you mentioned hoding a gun to my head..

'

Lol how many threads is this? Are you in with the mods and trying to bait me into a ban?

Listen, I'll send u a pic of my boat later. You can worshp it the following afternoon :P

'

Lol how many threads is this? Are you in with the mods and trying to bait me into a ban?

Listen, I'll send u a pic of my boat later. You can worshp it the following afternoon :P

"Holding a gun to your head" is an expression not an attack LOL

What in the holy hell are you talking about a boat for??????? :lol:

'

"Holding a gun to your head" is an expression not an attack LOL

What in the holy hell are you talking about a boat for??????? :lol:

Cuz u seem like a big fan of boats. Anyways, the pic is on its way, just need a good angle of it. It may not be Axls, but its cool

Nobody was stuck w BBF or DJ after bucket quit - bucket quit in 2004 - BBF wasn't asked to join till 2006 and DJ didn't join till 2009 -- axl may have been bitter with bucket because he quit on short notice right before a big show, but that's just speculation based on human nature, not fact -- but we got stuck w BBF and DJ long after bucket quit

Nobody was stuck w BBF or DJ after bucket quit - bucket quit in 2004 - BBF wasn't asked to join till 2006 and DJ didn't join till 2009 -- axl may have been bitter with bucket because he quit on short notice right before a big show, but that's just speculation based on human nature, not fact -- but we got stuck w BBF and DJ long after bucket quit

It is a good explanation as to why Axl doesn't seem motivated to make new music.. his vision for the future of guns was with Bucket and Robin on guitar and now that they both have left his desire to drive GNR forward is gone and hes just happy to tour the greatest hits as a tribute band with DJ and Bumble

It is a good explanation as to why Axl doesn't seem motivated to make new music.. his vision for the future of guns was with Bucket and Robin on guitar and now that they both have left his desire to drive GNR forward is gone and hes just happy to tour the greatest hits as a tribute band with DJ and Bumble
Just released whatever's recorded then! We want it!!!

I'm amazed at the hate BBF gets. The guy is, really, the only one who could step up to Bucket's shoes. He's way, way underused.

No matter how talented BBF is, he lacks one of the most important things to be a true lead guitar player - charisma. DJ's on the other hand has plenty of stage charisma, but lacks BBF's amazing skills. Want skills, creative talent and charisma in one guy? Well....Mr. Saul Hudson. :confused:

Edited by trqster

My understanding is that Buckethead officially quit in early to mid 2003. He was willing to stick around for a bit after the aborted 2002 tour, but soon realized no progress would be made in the studio so left. We're not talking about disappeared without telling anyone like some have hinted. He officially turned in his resignation and made it clear he was no longer a member of Guns N' Roses.

Now, what happened next is just conjecture on my part, but based on what Axl said in the chats in 2008, I would guess it went something like this...

1. Buckethead gives official notice of leaving in 2003.

2. Merck, knowing how much Axl liked Buckethead, probably tried to hide this from Axl as long as possible. This is probably why Buckethead continued to be on the payroll. That way Merck could argue Buckethead was still a member.

3. Axl probably found out at some point. Worried about angering Axl, Merck probably perpetuated the whole "Buckethead is out of loop story."

4. When it finally came time for that Rock in Rio in 2004, Axl wrote that press release still under the impression Buckethead had destroyed the band's plans.

So while Axl did not lie, per se, when writing that press release about Buckethead, he was definitely running on misinformation. People here frequently compare Guns N' Roses to a business, and that would make Axl the CEO. While he is the man, technicality, in charge he probably had little knowledge of day to day situations and how unhappy Buckethead had gotten in the band.

As I said (and must stress) my timeline is all conjecture, but I base it off of three things.

1. In the chats, Axl clearly had no ill will against Buckethead, and seemed to place ALL of the blame on management at the time.

2. Quite awhile before the press release from Axl, the sings were there that Buckethead was out. He took out all of the Guns N' Roses related material from his site.

3. Axl worked to get Buckethead back into the fold until the last possible minute. It was written in Ron's contract that he could be replaced by Buckethead at anytime prior to that first show in 2006. I.e., if Buckethead had shown up to the Hammerstein with guitar in hand 5 minutes before Axl took stage, Ron would be out (I'd guess still paid though).

As for the original posters question, I would guess Buckethead singed a two year contract when he joined on. It was probably in the process of being renegotiated when he left.

Dj will eventually quit himself.

I'm amazed at the hate BBF gets. The guy is, really, the only one who could step up to Bucket's shoes. He's way, way underused.

Nice guy, covers Bucket ok. The frustration is the lack of material released with this band.

As I said (and must stress) my timeline is all conjecture, but I base it off of three things.

1. In the chats, Axl clearly had no ill will against Buckethead, and seemed to place ALL of the blame on management at the time.

2. Quite awhile before the press release from Axl, the sings were there that Buckethead was out. He took out all of the Guns N' Roses related material from his site.

3. Axl worked to get Buckethead back into the fold until the last possible minute. It was written in Ron's contract that he could be replaced by Buckethead at anytime prior to that first show in 2006. I.e., if Buckethead had shown up to the Hammerstein with guitar in hand 5 minutes before Axl took stage, Ron would be out (I'd guess still paid though).

As for the original posters question, I would guess Buckethead singed a two year contract when he joined on. It was probably in the process of being renegotiated when he left.

How do you know this part?

How do you know this part?

yes i am curious about that myself. It seem like that Axl wanted Bucket to come back but how on earth do you know about Ron's contact :P Anyway great post that.