Buckethead's contract

whatashame

is there any real reason giving why Bucket, Brain, Josh and Robin left? I mean bullshit reasons aside, what was the real reasons that they left?

To be honest, Bucket's reason seemed heart felt and genuine. He simply got frustrated with the lack of effort from Axl to put out new material.

Edited by Ketan

I've been a fan of Buckethead since since the early 1990s, so when he joined Guns N' Roses, it was kind of

As I said (and must stress) my timeline is all conjecture, but I base it off of three things.

1. In the chats, Axl clearly had no ill will against Buckethead, and seemed to place ALL of the blame on management at the time.

2. Quite awhile before the press release from Axl, the sings were there that Buckethead was out. He took out all of the Guns N' Roses related material from his site.

3. Axl worked to get Buckethead back into the fold until the last possible minute. It was written in Ron's contract that he could be replaced by Buckethead at anytime prior to that first show in 2006. I.e., if Buckethead had shown up to the Hammerstein with guitar in hand 5 minutes before Axl took stage, Ron would be out (I'd guess still paid though).

As for the original posters question, I would guess Buckethead singed a two year contract when he joined on. It was probably in the process of being renegotiated when he left.

How do you know this part?

As I said (and must stress) my timeline is all conjecture, but I base it off of three things.

1. In the chats, Axl clearly had no ill will against Buckethead, and seemed to place ALL of the blame on management at the time.

2. Quite awhile before the press release from Axl, the sings were there that Buckethead was out. He took out all of the Guns N' Roses related material from his site.

3. Axl worked to get Buckethead back into the fold until the last possible minute. It was written in Ron's contract that he could be replaced by Buckethead at anytime prior to that first show in 2006. I.e., if Buckethead had shown up to the Hammerstein with guitar in hand 5 minutes before Axl took stage, Ron would be out (I'd guess still paid though).

As for the original posters question, I would guess Buckethead singed a two year contract when he joined on. It was probably in the process of being renegotiated when he left.

How do you know this part?

yes i am curious about that myself. It seem like that Axl wanted Bucket to come back but how on earth do you know about Ron's contact :P Anyway great post that.

I have been a fan of Buckethead since the mid 1990s, so when he joined Guns N' Roses, it was one of those worlds colliding moments. Anyway, all the information I have is from going to dozens of Buckethead shows and getting to know the people in his crew.

I've always wanted to know the true, real reasons Bucket and the others left. All bullshit aside. It seems more than a little odd that all these guys left, but yet had very little to say regarding details. Makes me wonder if there not allowed to speak about certain aspects due to something they are contractually bound to. As to BBF, I think he's great, I think Ashba is pretty solid to, and I've always liked Fortus. But until those guys (BBF & Ashba) get the opportunity to write and record new music with Guns, there always going to be looked upon as replacements, or hired hands so to speak. IMO.

I'm thinking Axl knew if one guitar player could blow Slash out of the water it was Bucket. But after Bucket left, we were stuck with Bumble and Ashba. Hence why Axl is bitter with Bucket and why CD wasn't promote.

With regard to his contract, well, that is an enigma!!!

Assumptions are fun I guess......Stuck with Bumble and Ashba? I don't get it...

Nobody is holding a gun to your head forcing you to follow GNR if you are unhappy.

Nobody was stuck w BBF or DJ after bucket quit - bucket quit in 2004 - BBF wasn't asked to join till 2006 and DJ didn't join till 2009 -- axl may have been bitter with bucket because he quit on short notice right before a big show, but that's just speculation based on human nature, not fact -- but we got stuck w BBF and DJ long after bucket quit

Bumble was in talks with GnR as early as 2004 I think. 2005 he was pretty much in.

That said, axl has said that this is the best lineup he's had. He definitely likes ashba, he's said he likes Bumble, Frank is the only one I'm not sure he's too keen about. He's yelled at him before during concerts and it's pretty clear he wants brain back.

Edited by liers

well, all bullshit aside, Bucket, Freese, Finck and whoever else, left the band bikoz

1. they didnt want to be in it anymore

2. they wanted to seek creative fulfilment by doin smth else (something more "their own" than Axl's)

3. they got enuff money off GNR to pay for the kids' college - the rest will be covered by giggin with Trent or solo or whatever

liers, on 01 Nov 2013 - 12:03 AM, said:
jmapelian, on 30 Oct 2013 - 11:24 PM, said:
volcano62, on 30 Oct 2013 - 6:49 PM, said:
ARBeast, on 30 Oct 2013 - 6:44 PM, said:

I'm thinking Axl knew if one guitar player could blow Slash out of the water it was Bucket. But after Bucket left, we were stuck with Bumble and Ashba. Hence why Axl is bitter with Bucket and why CD wasn't promote.

With regard to his contract, well, that is an enigma!!!

Assumptions are fun I guess......Stuck with Bumble and Ashba? I don't get it...

Nobody is holding a gun to your head forcing you to follow GNR if you are unhappy.

Nobody was stuck w BBF or DJ after bucket quit - bucket quit in 2004 - BBF wasn't asked to join till 2006 and DJ didn't join till 2009 -- axl may have been bitter with bucket because he quit on short notice right before a big show, but that's just speculation based on human nature, not fact -- but we got stuck w BBF and DJ long after bucket quit

Bumble was in talks with GnR as early as 2004 I think. 2005 he was pretty much in.

That said, axl has said that this is the best lineup he's had. He definitely likes ashba, he's said he likes Bumble, Frank is the only one I'm not sure he's too keen about. He's yelled at him before during concerts and it's pretty clear he wants brain back.

I hope this is true, Frank has just been an annoyance to me since day 1! Never heard of the yelling part though in concert?

ARBeast, on 01 Nov 2013 - 3:43 PM, said:
silkchild, on 01 Nov 2013 - 3:01 PM, said:

He did love Stevie - in the old days.

Yeah, but since then he's hated Stevie.

Wonder how he feels about Rob Gardner.

He has made efforts to mend past relations between them, too bad Steven got all excited over a reunion that was not going to happen, that is not Axl's fault - also in the chats here in 08 he wished him well.

alfierose, on 01 Nov 2013 - 3:49 PM, said:

Didn't he used to kick him a lot?

Not sure where I read that-maybe Steven's book.

I think Steven used to be the main guy to give shit to Axl in the old days about being late etc,,but it don't mean they were not close - don't know about the kicking?

Edited by silkchild

ARBeast, on 01 Nov 2013 - 3:43 PM, said:

He has made efforts to mend past relations between them, too bad Steven got all excited over a reunion that was not going to happen, that is not Axl's fault - also in the chats here in 08 he wished him well.

alfierose, on 01 Nov 2013 - 3:49 PM, said:

I think Steven used to be the main guy to give shit to Axl in the old days about being late etc,,but it don't mean they were not close - don't know about the kicking?

I agree.

People can blame Axl for the rift with Slash, but this one's on Adler. That and a lot of the badmouthing to the media. There's more blame on Adler for Axl not attending the HOF than anything else.

ARBeast, on 01 Nov 2013 - 6:06 PM, said:
silkchild, on 01 Nov 2013 - 3:54 PM, said:
ARBeast, on 01 Nov 2013 - 3:43 PM, said:ARBeast, on 01 Nov 2013 - 3:43 PM, said:
silkchild, on 01 Nov 2013 - 3:01 PM, said:silkchild, on 01 Nov 2013 - 3:01 PM, said:

alfierose, on 01 Nov 2013 - 3:49 PM, said:alfierose, on 01 Nov 2013 - 3:49 PM, said:
silkchild, on 01 Nov 2013 - 3:01 PM, said:silkchild, on 01 Nov 2013 - 3:01 PM, said:

I agree.

People can blame Axl for the rift with Slash, but this one's on Adler. That and a lot of the badmouthing to the media. There's more blame on Adler for Axl not attending the HOF than anything else.

I think it is a shame, Axl reached out to him for his friendship. As he said "Lesson learned" I just would like to see ALL the old gang get on and be civil to one another, enough time has passed - not for a reunion necessarily, just an end to squabbles and to get back their mutual respect for one another would be great!

Something must of happened for Bucket to bail last minute on the band. Axl must of been confident he was up for playing before booking the Rio 2004 performance. Also Bucket told either Axl or GN'R's manager that he purchased a DVD of a Guns show, and that he was "proud of his and the bands performance". So something must of happened to tick Bucket off so much that he walked away even leaving Guns in a position of cancelling their Rio 2004 show.

Naw, I believe Madcap's account. I seem to recall rumours back then that Bucket had left a long time before the 2004 show. It was almost certainly in 2003, think this was confirmed after the fact as well (perhaps in Chinese Whispers?) Madcap's suggestion that Axl was not informed for a while because they didn't want to upset him is the most likely explanation.

I'm amazed at the hate BBF gets. The guy is, really, the only one who could step up to Bucket's shoes. He's way, way underused.

. DJ's on the other hand has plenty of stage charisma, but lacks BBF's amazing skills.

This is like saying Michael Bay movies have plenty of class. It is, in theory, possible to feel that way but it means you have a terribly bad taste.

Edited by LTD

Something must of happened for Bucket to bail last minute on the band. Axl must of been confident he was up for playing before booking the Rio 2004 performance. Also Bucket told either Axl or GN'R's manager that he purchased a DVD of a Guns show, and that he was "proud of his and the bands performance". So something must of happened to tick Bucket off so much that he walked away even leaving Guns in a position of cancelling their Rio 2004 show.

This is a man who claims, in 2001, that a whole tour of Europe was booked without his knowledge. I'm sure people told Axl whatever they thought he wanted to hear, and when they couldn't lure Buckethead back, threw him under the train.

Bear in mind that Axl is a dude who holds on to a twenty year old grudge against Slash for reasons no one seems to be able to perfectly articulate. If the story about Buckethead costing the Rock in Rio gig was true, Axl would never speak to him again; that was a truly legitimate reason to be pissed. Yet, in 2008, this was a man who not only said he loved Buckethead as a performer and person, but would be willing to play with him again should an opportunity present itself. I imagine he heard the real story somewhere down the line. If you listen to the interview Axl did with Eddie Trunk in 2006, it even sounds like he'd more or less cooled off by then (he said something along the lines of "Bucket is Bucket").