Favorite Biopics

Guest Len B'stard

They are dreadful really, the best ones are the ones that just take like...a skeletal structure for inspiration then use creativity to make the rest up, like Last Days by Gus Van Sant which i thought was fantastic. Can't fault Bird and Raging Bull either, as mentioned by Durruti up there :)

Guest Len B'stard

The Krays was a load of cobblers quite frankly :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_axhD-QvAQA

Thats the only real footage of them chatting in their heyday, now how are the brothers out of Spandau Ballet gonna do that? :lol: Rons actually got a very soft voice, the menace in Ron is just in his being who he is, Reg sounds more the geezer out of the two of em, when he was supposed to be the more pragmatic one.

Andrei Rublev, American Splendor, 32 Short Films About Glen Gould, Ed Wood, Raging Bull, Carlos, Nixon, Amadeus, Downfall, I'm Not There,The Elephant Man, The Social Network, Malcolm X, The Doors.

Guilty pleasure wise, I'd throw in Great Balls of Fire and Walk the Line.

I tend to agree with Len, they often suck. Largely because they usually get made with the approval and co-operation of the subject and/or their loved ones, so the less pleasant (and often most interesting) aspects of the story get blurred about the edges (Social Network is a recent and notable exception to the rule).

some of my favorite biopics : napoleon (by abel gance), napoleon (by sacha guitry) and le diable boiteux (about talleyrand, one of napoleon's ministers, directed by sacha guitry). three fantastic movies if you are interested in that period of history.

i also saw stavisky recently, it's based on the life of the financier and embezzler alexandre stavisky and the circumstances leading to his mysterious death in 1934.

Abel-Gance_Aff-Napoleon.jpgNapoleon_SachaGuitry_DVD1.jpgimage004.jpg

Edited by IZZYISGNR

I re-watched The Last Emperor a few days coincidentally. Beyond the fact that I felt it took a sympathetic line with the PRC, and a less-than-cynical line on The Emperor Puyi's 'rehabilitation' (but then Bertolucci is a communist), it is excellent. I particularly like the stunning cinematography of the Forbidden Palace. It is fairly historically accurate. It does miss out however on an interesting period in his life, between leaving prison and dying. Puyi actually met Mao and Zao Enlai and married again at Mao's prompting, ''every Emperor needs a consort.'' He was sort of a, revered old celebrity in the PRC before the Cultural Revolution, but then, he did not have long to live when the Cultural Revolution happened.

Regarding the question, most biopics are cack. I heard the three remaining Doors had some very unsavoury things to say about Morrison's portrayal in The Doors. Lawrence of Arabia, despite being excellent (it is Spielberg's favourite film), is also largely tosh historically. Gandhi is a beautiful film but I felt it delved into hagiography and whitewashed Gandhi's comments about the Second World War (Gandhi thought, the Jews of Europe should practice ‘passive resistance’ against Hitler, which, considering they were being herded into concentration camps at the time, is a very foolish comment).

Becket, with Richard Burton, is also historically inaccurate - and a bit silly and Ali was shit. How could Will Smith do the impossible and make Muhammad Ali dour, negative and thoroughly unlikeable? I mean this was arguably the most charismatic man that ever lived! I also did not like Max Baer's depiction in The Cinderella Man.

My favourites…

Ip Man 1 and 2, the biopics of Bruce Lee’s sifu starting Donnie Yen. Bit of historical hokum involved (he did not flee from the Japanese, but the Chinese Communists!) but sod it, the kung fu is incredible and the second one has Samo.

Shin Heike Monogatari (aka. Tales of the Taira Clan), biopic of Japan’s first military leader, Taira no Kiyomori. A late colour film by Mizoguchi.

Ed Wood

And I second Last Emperor and Raging Bull

Is Shakespeare allowed? If so, Olivier's Richard III and Branagh's Henry V are definite masterpieces.

Edited by DieselDaisy

A Man for All Seasons

Lawrence of Arabia

Chaplin

I liked a lot of the films mentioned in this thread.

If I could pick Shakspear I'd pick Henry V (both Olivier and Brannagh) and Richard III (Olivier of course)

Lincoln was really good too

Then again where is the line drawn between biographical or historical? I mean Lincoln and Schindler's List are both about a man at important moments in their lives.