Game of Thrones Season 6 Discussion Thread *No Spoilers*

bran

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It should be, 1 thing though :P. Certain story lines in AFFC that your about to read will no doubt be shoehorned into next season. i.e Iron Islands and Sam's story. Then again after Dorne :(.

btw anyone else surprised they didn't do some version of the epilogue to ADWD at the end of last season?

I wonder if this series would have been better if GRRM didn't kill off so many characters?

I haven't received my books yet, but I would like to know this, how many characters the books have in comparison to the show?

There are at least hundreds more in the books. And I'm only just finishing the third one. Not all of them are main characters, but there are a lot of side characters who are important to the story.

EDIT: And just to show you, from memory: Strong Belwas, Ser Jaremy Rykker, the Cerywns, Edric Storm, Garlan Tyrell, Axel Florent, Vargo Hoat, Ben Plumm, Donal Noye, Cleos Frey, the Redwynes, the Celtigars, Smalljon Umber, Jeyne Poole, Jeyne Westerling (and the Westerlings), Addam Marbrand, Mikken, the Kettlebacks (3 sons and the father on the fingers), Mance Rayder's wife, Jarl, Ser Cortnay Penrose, Khal Ogo (and his son), Delorous Edd, Maester Pylos.... and it goes on and on. And those are actual characters who you see, there are countless more mentioned in stories, legends, and conversations that POV characters have or witness.

And how could I forget Ser Jacelyn Bywater?!?!?!

Also, can a mod change the thread title?

I wonder if this series would have been better if GRRM didn't kill off so many characters?

I haven't received my books yet, but I would like to know this, how many characters the books have in comparison to the show?

There are at least hundreds more in the books. And I'm only just finishing the third one. Not all of them are main characters, but there are a lot of side characters who are important to the story.

EDIT: And just to show you, from memory: Strong Belwas, Ser Jaremy Rykker, the Cerywns, Edric Storm, Garlan Tyrell, Axel Florent, Vargo Hoat, Ben Plumm, Donal Noye, Cleos Frey, the Redwynes, the Celtigars, Smalljon Umber, Jeyne Poole, Jeyne Westerling (and the Westerlings), Addam Marbrand, Mikken, the Kettlebacks (3 sons and the father on the fingers), Mance Rayder's wife, Jarl, Ser Cortnay Penrose, Khal Ogo (and his son), Delorous Edd, Maester Pylos.... and it goes on and on. And those are actual characters who you see, there are countless more mentioned in stories, legends, and conversations that POV characters have or witness.

And how could I forget Ser Jacelyn Bywater?!?!?!

Also, can a mod change the thread title?

I got you covered ;)

• Like 1

Still early in AFFC (~115 pages), but already Lancel's character transformation and the introduction of the Sparrows has been much better than on the show.

yeah definitely. i felt the introduction of the high sparrow in the show was kind of awkward.

If they're doing Iron Islands stuff this season, they better do the kingsmoot, Euron and the horn was awesome. Victarion's pretty cool, and Aeron isn't bad either. It's a shame that show watchers only know Theon and Balon, because they both suck. Asha is eh.

And I knew almost right away in ACOK after they (Kettlebacks) were introduced, Cersei was definitely banging at least Osmund.... just got a confirmation on Osney as well. Now just Osfryd and the trifecta will be complete. Too bad Oswell is at The Fingers.

Still early in AFFC (~115 pages), but already Lancel's character transformation and the introduction of the Sparrows has been much better than on the show.

yeah definitely. i felt the introduction of the high sparrow in the show was kind of awkward.

Also it was cool that the dwarf's head that was brought to Cersei was the dwarf that Brienne encountered when leaving King's Landing.

Edited by OmarBradley
  • Like 1

They should have done the Iron Islands last season instead of Dorne.

It looks like they're doing it next season, but given they had

Daario mention the Meerense navy which just happened to be the same size as the Iron Born fleet that arrives sails there, I'm not really sure where it's going in the show.

Probably another case they really didn't think before season 4 that the show would go the distance or they wanted to save the budget. Battle of Meereen reads crazy expensive in the TWOW preview chapters.

Jon Snow theory:

I'm sure this has been thought of already, but I don't frequent WotW or any of the fan sites.

Jon comes back as a benevolent White Walker? Similar to Coldhands? Melisandre takes his body and doesn't burn it. Or enchants it somehow.

I think it's just as likely as warging into Ghost.

Jon Snow theory:

I'm sure this has been thought of already, but I don't frequent WotW or any of the fan sites.

Jon comes back as a benevolent White Walker? Similar to Coldhands? Melisandre takes his body and doesn't burn it. Or enchants it somehow.

I think it's just as likely as warging into Ghost.

Nah, too much set up in the 5th book for him not to warg into Ghost upon his death. You'll see once you read the 5th book, it'll make you look at Rob's death differently too. Except Greywind got killed too.

I think something along the lines of Mel burns Shireen (and possibly Ghost too) to resurrect Azor Ahai regardless of whom she believes it is. You'll see hints in Mel's POV chapter. Jon is resurrected, but since Jon's conscience was in in Ghost, Jon comes back (but not the same as Stoneheart/Beric). I think Jon kills Mel afterwards when he figures out what Mel done.

Jon's physical death is probably just to get him out of his night's watch vows.

Edited by AtariLegend

Someone tried their luck on George's blog, this of course is only applicable to the start of TWOW.

Benjamin Fortini
Jul. 19th, 2015 05:56 am (UTC)
Please Martin, answer that question... Is Stannis still alive?

Please, I beg you, I can't sleep at night.

grrm
Jul. 19th, 2015 06:19 pm (UTC)
In the books... yes, Stannis is still alive.
So are Irri, Jhiqui, Mago, Pyp, Grenn, Shireen, Myrcella, Ser Barristan, Hizdahr zo Loraq, and probably some others whose names I am forgetting at this moment.

I don't fancy Myrcella/Shireen/Barristan or Hizdahr's chances though of making it through the book.

Edited by AtariLegend

Kit Harrington apparently spotted in Northern Ireland.

And why did Arys Oakheart charge at Areo Hotah? It was clearly folly and Myrcella wasn't in danger, maybe he'd rather die than never be with Arianne?

He's been sighted in "Northern Ireland" plenty of times recently, over the past several weeks. Just incase anyone was crazy enough to think he was done.

Edited by AtariLegend

Finished AFFC, starting ADWD later tonight.

I didn't dislike Feast as much as people told me I would. I was sort of bothered by the lack of my favorite characters, but it was interesting to see POV's from people who we hadn't before. And Feast was short, about the same length as the first book - so it went by pretty fast.

As of now, I'd probably rate my order of preference as Storm, Clash, Game, Feast. But I haven't disliked any, the only part that I thought was boring was the first 150 or so pages of Feast, after that it picked up.

Interesting that Brienne seems to be gone now due to Stoneheart, I wasn't much hurt by that, but poor Pod...... :(

Didn't even realize until someone pointed it out to me.... Pate.... I went back and reread the prologue, "A stranger. No one, truly." I disappoint myself, I should have recognized that immediately.

Or the final chapter. I doubt the show will be that subtle if they do that part of Sam's story next year though.

Edited by AtariLegend

Reading a Jon chapter in early Dance right now. I remember when S5E3 aired someone here asked if Jon knew Janos's part in Ned's arrest/killing of household. In the show I don't think it's mentioned, but there's a line in the book on page 108, "There is blood between us. This man helped slay my father and did his best to have my killed as well."

Anyway, don't remember who brought it up, but there's the answer.... for the book at least.

• Like 1

Random thoughts from ADWD, I'm about ~650 pages in, so not done yet, so some of what I'm about to say may change/be different by the end.:

Scary that Melisandre is supposedly the "best" interpreter of visions amongst the red priest/priestesses. Even she only get sit right half the time! Or less.

Jon as LC is fucking awesome, there are so many scenes in the book that should have been in the show: his speech at Mole's Town, the trip to the Weirwood and finding Wun Wun, the Iron Bank representative, etc..

I sort of get why they changed the Mance death for the show.

The new stories on Essos (Tyrion, Quentyn, Connington/Aegon) are cool. Sometimes quite confusing, sometimes I have to pause to recall which characters are with which group - complicated by the fact that the groups (especially Tyrion's) change members/locations/means of transport often. And that was quite funny that the "rumors" of the Yunkish slaver with the bearded woman, hermaphrodite, etc. were all true!

Doran heard about ships getting ready to sail to Westeros, hoping that it was Quentyn and Dany. But if I was reading correctly it's probably Connington, Aegon, and the Golden Company.

Everything so far points to Jon being important to the rest of the story - regardless of his death. Melisandre is pretty open about her interest in him, and there's the Ghost stuff too of course.

Interesting that Arya is warging into Nymeria across the narrow sea..... must mean her powers are getting stronger? because I had thought warging at that distance without being a greenseer would be incredibly difficult.

Reading a Theon chapter now.... just realized Abel must be Mance.

Edited by OmarBradley
  • Like 1

Just an fyi after you read that, there's quite a few TWOW preview chapters from certain characters. You'll probably enjoy TWOW more if you're reading them in context when the book is released instead of reading them online, assuming the book is released in the next year.

Baring the Arya/Sansa chapters the rest are very spoilerish and out of context/order.

Edited by AtariLegend

Just an fyi after you read that, there's quite a few TWOW preview chapters from certain characters. You'll probably enjoy TWOW more if you're reading them in context when the book is released instead of reading them online, assuming the book is released in the next year.

Baring the Arya/Sansa chapters the rest are very spoilerish and out of context/order.

Yeah I think there's some at the end of my copy of ADWD, I'm not planning on reading them until TWOW. I will probably get the Tales of Dunk and Egg, and World of Ice and Fire too.

Random thoughts from ADWD, I'm about ~650 pages in, so not done yet, so some of what I'm about to say may change/be different by the end.:

Scary that Melisandre is supposedly the "best" interpreter of visions amongst the red priest/priestesses. Even she only get sit right half the time! Or less.

Jon as LC is fucking awesome, there are so many scenes in the book that should have been in the show: his speech at Mole's Town, the trip to the Weirwood and finding Wun Wun, the Iron Bank representative, etc..

I sort of get why they changed the Mance death for the show.

The new stories on Essos (Tyrion, Quentyn, Connington/Aegon) are cool. Sometimes quite confusing, sometimes I have to pause to recall which characters are with which group - complicated by the fact that the groups (especially Tyrion's) change members/locations/means of transport often. And that was quite funny that the "rumors" of the Yunkish slaver with the bearded woman, hermaphrodite, etc. were all true!

Doran heard about ships getting ready to sail to Westeros, hoping that it was Quentyn and Dany. But if I was reading correctly it's probably Connington, Aegon, and the Golden Company.

Everything so far points to Jon being important to the rest of the story - regardless of his death. Melisandre is pretty open about her interest in him, and there's the Ghost stuff too of course.

Interesting that Arya is warging into Nymeria across the narrow sea..... must mean her powers are getting stronger? because I had thought warging at that distance without being a greenseer would be incredibly difficult.

Reading a Theon chapter now.... just realized Abel must be Mance.

yeah your guesses are right that ship is jon con,aegon and the golden company. yes abel is mance. abel is an anagram of bael . bael the bard was the king beyond the wall that tricked the north and ended up fucking brandon starks daughter. she ended up having his child. this story was what gave mance the idea to sneak into the feast at winterfell and later on the mission to go after "arya"

pretty soon you will really be one of us book readers bitching about the show :lol: although you seem to have seen a lot of the issues already before reading the books.