2014 Oscar Nominations

Nobodys_Fault

It will be an upset if 12 Years doesn't win... that's the film that most critics and audiences would probably agree deserves to win. A lot of news websites had run stories of how the Golden Globes had snubbed 12 Years and the cast completely (before it won Best Drama film).

It's not the favorite to win at this point, so it won't be a big upset a la Brokeback losing to Crash.

It's an extraordinary film...up until the last half hour or so. Then it gives way to mediocrity. It's McQueen's first non masterpiece.

12 Years a Slave is odds on to win. Odds of 1-3, 2-7, possibly 2-5 if you look. It will win best picture.

American Hustle is second favourite at 3-1, 4-1, lots of style but no substance, so I cannot see it winning

Gravity third favourite at 10-1 to 15-1, I cannot see it winning best film. In 3D, the film is great, but in 2D, it is 7/10, Star Trek was better

Wolf of Wall Street, fourth favourite 20-1 to 50-1. It is better than the above two films. I would have preferred 20-40 minutes edited out the movie, it meandered a little too much in places. Shorter and sharper would have nailed it, and a little less shock. Some is ok, but you get it after a while. Shutter Island was perfect editing.

Edited by Mysteron

It will be an upset if 12 Years doesn't win... that's the film that most critics and audiences would probably agree deserves to win. A lot of news websites had run stories of how the Golden Globes had snubbed 12 Years and the cast completely (before it won Best Drama film).

It's not the favorite to win at this point, so it won't be a big upset a la Brokeback losing to Crash.

It's an extraordinary film...up until the last half hour or so. Then it gives way to mediocrity. It's McQueen's first non masterpiece.

12 Years a Slave is odds on to win. Odds of 1-3, 2-7, possibly 2-5 if you look. It will win best picture.

American Hustle is second favourite at 3-1, 4-1, lots of style but no substance, so I cannot see it winning

Gravity third favourite at 10-1 to 15-1, I cannot see it winning best film. In 3D, the film is great, but in 2D, it is 7/10, Star Trek was better

Wolf of Wall Street, fourth favourite 20-1 to 50-1. It is better than the above two films. I would have preferred 20-40 minutes edited out the movie, it meandered a little too much in places. Shorter and sharper would have nailed it, and a little less shock. Some is ok, but you get it after a while. Shutter Island was perfect editing.

I tend to look more to the pre Oscar award shows, and it was leaning toward Hustle all the way up to the PGA's last night when 12 Years and Gravity tied. Which hasn't happened in decades, and the PGA's are of late, the most reliable preview of the BP winner. Now it's a proper horse race, which is genuinely exciting if you're a bit sad and enjoy this junk like I do. 12 Years isn't a sure thing yet, never underestimate the academy's distaste for anything that's difficult or challenging (let alone confronting). Schindler's List and Million Dollar Baby are the only genuinely bleak films to win best picture in the last twenty years.

Very few films keep my attention throughout, but Dallas Buyer's Club is one. What a touching story. Outstanding performances by Matthew and Jared.

It's a wonderful film. At least it's all but assured best actor and best supporting actor.

Very few films keep my attention throughout, but Dallas Buyer's Club is one. What a touching story. Outstanding performances by Matthew and Jared.

It's a wonderful film. At least it's all but assured best actor and best supporting actor.

Brilliant on every level. There are so many aspects of the film that I just absolutely adore. From making his former friend shake hands with Rayon (despite being as bigoted a year prior), to smuggling alternative HIV treatments as a priest.

I'm rarely brought to tears by a film, but I definitely welled up

when Rayon passed away.
Edited by Black Sabbath
edited spoilers as courtesy

Brilliant on every level. There are so many aspects of the film that I just absolutely adore. From making his former friend shake hands with Rayon (despite being as bigoted a year prior), to smuggling alternative HIV treatments as a priest.

I'm rarely brought to tears by a film, but I definitely welled up

when Rayon passed away.

Dem spoilers

I've seen the movie, though. And although I enjoyed it a lot, I was a little disappointed

that Rayon was not a real person and just made up for the film, as well as a few other things

Still a great movie, though. Looking forward to buying it in a couple weeks and re-watching.

that Rayon was not a real person and just made up for the film, as well as a few other things

Was going to mention that myself. Still, at least we know that real Ron did undergo such a personal u-turn (in terms of his attitude towards homosexuals). As a matter of context, we also know that the real Ron wasn't so viciously anti-gay. But it just doesn't matter. It's an extremely powerful piece of art that will challenge many people's prejudices.

The character of Rayon was genius. And totally solidified Leto's acting credentials.

I tend to look more to the pre Oscar award shows, and it was leaning toward Hustle all the way up to the PGA's last night when 12 Years and Gravity tied. Which hasn't happened in decades, and the PGA's are of late, the most reliable preview of the BP winner. Now it's a proper horse race, which is genuinely exciting if you're a bit sad and enjoy this junk like I do. 12 Years isn't a sure thing yet, never underestimate the academy's distaste for anything that's difficult or challenging (let alone confronting). Schindler's List and Million Dollar Baby are the only genuinely bleak films to win best picture in the last twenty years.

I get what you are saying. Lincoln was odds on last year, yet Argo won

Was going to mention that myself. Still, at least we know that real Ron did undergo such a personal u-turn (in terms of his attitude towards homosexuals). As a matter of context, we also know that the real Ron wasn't so viciously anti-gay. But it just doesn't matter. It's an extremely powerful piece of art that will challenge many people's prejudices.

The character of Rayon was genius. And totally solidified Leto's acting credentials.

Leto was great as Jordan Catelano

Good year for films, but in terms of the Oscars it looks like its pretty locked up already:

Best Picture: 12 Years A Slave. Its not gonna win any other big awards and the only other thing I think could win is American Hustle, but Slave seems to be the frontrunner

Best Actor: McConaughey. He's getting amazing press, winning the awards in this category. I think he's got this locked. I'd vote for Bale though.

Best Actress: Blanchett. Same as McConaughey. Already winning all the awards and is the clear frontrunner.

Supporting Actor: Jared Leto. See the last two categories

Supporting Actress: A toss up but its either gotta be Lawrence or Nyongo. I think Nyongo will win because they won't have Lawerence winning two consecutive Oscars, but she certainly has a shot.

Original Screenplay: Her looks like it has this locked up.

Adapted: Maybe 12 Years. Either that or Wolf Of Wall Street. But I'm thinking Slave.

Animated Feature: Frozen. Doesn't matter. Just saying that will definitely win if we're listening all the definites.

Cinematography: Gravity. Seems like the clear frontrunner.

Makeup: Gotta be Dallas Buyers Club because the others would be laughable. I'm pulling for Jackass though.

The only category I think is wide open is Director. I don't think it'll be Scorsese and I don't think it'll be Payne. But the others have very strong shots. Cuaron for Gravity seems less so but it could happen. McQueen is an easy fallback, and since I think its a lock for Best Picture I think Director is also feasible. I could see Russell with the steal, but I think it'll be McQueen.

Just saying, it looks like a very predictable and uninteresting race this year, even though its a great list of movies.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

12 Years or Gravity in what would now be a relatively minor upset.

Cuaron.

McConaughey, 100% lock.

Blanchett, Woodygate aside, still surely a lock.

Leto.

Nyongno or Lawrence, this category is more prone to upsets than most. Best case scenario, they cancel each other out and June Squibb lifts her skirt up on stage.

Doc: 20 Feet From Stardom, not deserved, but not a travesty like Searching for Sugar Man last year.

Foreign: The Great Beauty, kind of a travesty.

Hustle should at least net one for original screenplay, 12 Years will take adapted.

All tech awards to Gravity. Bored now.

BEST PICTURE

12 Years a Slave

BEST ACTOR

Matthew McConaughey in Dallas Buyers Club

BEST ACTRESS

Cate Blanchett in Blue Jasmine

BEST DIRECTOR

Steve McQueen for 12 Years a Slave

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR

Jared Leto in Dallas Buyers Club

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS

June Squibb in Nebraska

Totally deserved, beautiful performance. Wish Jim Carrey was hosting though.

Same. His Bruce Dern bit was great.

Wow. I thought Harrison Ford would never be done with that intro.

Harrison is my favorite actor ever, but he was pretty weird tonight. Wonder what that was about. And maybe he is growing that beard for Star Wars?