2014 Oscar Nominations

Nobodys_Fault

I am a film fan yet I have never watched a single minute of an oscar ceremony in my entire life. It simply does not interest me as an event, a ceremony or entertainment. Consider the fact that Alfred Hitchcock never, in sixty years of the film business, received an oscar (a few of his films produced oscars but he never picked up, best director) and that proves how garbage the whole thing is.

I am a film fan yet I have never watched a single minute of an oscar ceremony in my entire life. It simply does not interest me as an event, a ceremony or entertainment. Consider the fact that Alfred Hitchcock never, in sixty years of the film business, received an oscar (a few of his films produced oscars but he never picked up, best director) and that proves how garbage the whole thing is.

I don't know much about Hitchcock's relationship with the film academy but I would assume it was not a good one considering how he kept wanting to make films that were radical and challenging for their times. From my understanding, the oscars were always more of a ceremony for "traditional, safe" pictures.

I know for a fact that the academy hates George Lucas, which is why he himself never won an oscar and Star Wars gets rarely recognized in the throwback montages except when it needs to due to the fact that it had such an impact on pop culture.

Film politics like these kind of annoy me but I still enjoy the oscars nonetheless.

Edited by rocknroll41

Out of interest, why do you lot watch the Oscars? :lol: None of you appear to have any respect for the institution (and rightly so) none of you ever thinks the right person wins, about everyone I've ever met thinks it's a load of bollocks, I can't think of one single person I've met that has anything good to say about em...yet everyone hangs on this shit, waiting for the results etc, i'll never understand why.

Because outside of the E! type celebrity worship angle, there's not an aspect of the industry that I don't find interesting (even if it's appalling). And the Oscars are the fucking superbowl of the industry (and yes, usually appalling).

I don't know much about Hitchcock's relationship with the film academy but I would assume it was not a good one considering how he kept wanting to make films that were radical and challenging for their times. From my understanding, the oscars were always more of a ceremony for "traditional, safe" pictures.

I know for a fact that the academy hates George Lucas, which is why he himself never won an oscar and Star Wars gets rarely recognized in the throwback montages except when it needs to due to the fact that it had such an impact on pop culture.

Film politics like these kind of annoy me but I still enjoy the oscars nonetheless.

He was nominated, Best Director, five times (Rebecca, Lifeboat, Spellbound, Rear Window, Psycho) yet, never won one of them. Rebecca actually won Best Picture yet it was Selznick who picked up the award, showing the superior role of the producer in those days. Yes, Hitchcock's relationship with the Oscars was complicated. A few individual oscars were also produced from his films, Joan Fontaine for Suspicion, the song 'Que Sera Sera' from The Man Who Knew Too Much.

Guest Len B'stard

Out of interest, why do you lot watch the Oscars? :lol: None of you appear to have any respect for the institution (and rightly so) none of you ever thinks the right person wins, about everyone I've ever met thinks it's a load of bollocks, I can't think of one single person I've met that has anything good to say about em...yet everyone hangs on this shit, waiting for the results etc, i'll never understand why.

Because outside of the E! type celebrity worship angle, there's not an aspect of the industry that I don't find interesting (even if it's appalling). And the Oscars are the fucking superbowl of the industry (and yes, usually appalling).

Ah, see, therein lies the difference, i love the craft but the industry is a load of shit. Barely tolerable shit at that.

Should there be a Best Comedy Movie award? Looking back over the years there have been a lot of classic comedy movies that have been ignored by the Academy. If nothing else, an award like that would liven things up during the 2 hour part where they give awards to makeup,sound editing,short film,animation, etc....

Should there be a Best Comedy Movie award? Looking back over the years there have been a lot of classic comedy movies that have been ignored by the Academy. If nothing else, an award like that would liven things up during the 2 hour part where they give awards to makeup,sound editing,short film,animation, etc....

There are exactly two things that are not ridiculous about the Golden Globes - the separate categories for comedies/comedic performances, and their understanding that tipsy people make more entertaining speeches, hence the open bar.

Edited by Angelica

I think Costume Design and probably Production Design should have gone to American Hustle.

I think American Hustle did a fantastic job with costume design and was shocked that it didn't get the oscar for it.

Though the costumes and production of Gatsby was pretty good (wasn't that big of a fan of the movie as a whole), I think it was better for American Hustle. I totally forgot Gatsby even came out in 2013 :lol: