How would the fans and media react if Chinese Democracy II was released?

I think it would cause a stir and reassert Axl's commitment to GNR.

A trilogy is the GNR thing to do.

Not really talking about the music. Let's assume it's very similar to CD in quality.

I'm talking more the kind of climate and reaction to a record called Chinese Democracy II. Is the name tainted or has it done well enough to have a snowball effect.

Would CD as a project then become more interesting drawing people in or would it be like enough of this shit, we want something fresh?

I could sort of see journalists saying "CD was released to moderate success and mixed reviews but now GNR are back with the next installment and if the first one was ballad heavy this one is wilder with Axl rapping about pussy full of maggots" on the opening tracks with Atlas Shrugged harking back to his November Rain glory days"

would the media bite on the ongoing narrative of a trilogy or attack for being over indulgent/boring?

Edited by wasted

It depends on how good the music is.

Putting out music is really the best thing Axl can do. Why did he fight so hard to keep the GnR name if he wasn't going to try and further the GnR name/legend? If he just continues to tour and play the old hits, all the talk of him just keeping the name for cash reasons take on more weight and relevance.

I think most GnR fans would be joyous if Axl started releasing music. I know I would.

I think it would garner a fair amount of media attention, although more than a few writers would use it as on opportunity to take potshots at Axl.

I think there are a lot of people worldwide who would be interested in hearing it. A lot of the non-US and non-UK countries aren't as hung up about the name and are more accepting of the band.

Classic Rock, NME, Rolling Stone will mention it on their sites. There will be an article on the onion claiming the album's massive success and that upon hearing it slash was moved to tears and apologized to Axl who then proceeded to tell Slash to suck his balls, no word on whether Slash accepted the invitation.

The album will actually be half decent when given the chance. The album will be reviewed on average around 3/5 with most reviews throwing jabs at Axl's weight or lack of slash. Some guy will give it a 10/10 and proclaim it a misunderstood masterpiece, presumably a hipster who jumps on with any obscure or overlooked work on the off chance it will become popular some day so they can say "I liked it before anyone cared."

Radio wise there may be a single that reaches the top 10 on billboard due to digital sales, and disappears shortly thereafter. There will be three other singles, likely good but poorly chosen songs with minute long ambient noise intros.

The album will be a massive success in South America and east Europe.

Edited by TeeJay410

Depends. Axl and GnR will get attention anyway, but if the music is good, they'll get positive feedback, radio airplay, and get a lot of people to respect the new band more than it just being a cover band. When Going Down leaked, all the music news outlets were giving it positive feedback, saying things like "GnR's back", "Axl's Back", etc, I forget which news thing, but one of the big ones called it one of the best GnR songs since AFD (which although I like the song, I don't agree with that). I still think if they had kept the older 99'-03' versions of the CD songs it would've been much more well received without all the editing. I think "The Blues" could've been a hit. Even the CD version of IRS, Prostitute, and TWAT could've gotten pretty significant radio airplay had they been promoted and released as singles. Better was pretty well received when it came out and still get played once in a while

It would get a fair amount of press early on. If it was good, it would be recognized as such and reach a relatively broad audience. If it was bad, it would be quickly forgotten and only spoken about within the confines of this nuthouse.

Bingo. End of discussion.

It would get a fair amount of press early on. If it was good, it would be recognized as such and reach a relatively broad audience. If it was bad, it would be quickly forgotten and only spoken about within the confines of this nuthouse.

And if it sold 3 to 5 million copies, like CD did, certain people in this nuthouse would go onnnn and onnnn about what a failure it was. :jerkoff:

• Like 3

Nope. If the fictional next album sells 3 to 5 million, considering what it is and the lack of anticipation for it, I'd consider it a success. Anything else you'd like to bicker about?

Don't take this the wrong way, but it's not all about you. Notice I said "certain people." I was simply pointing out that *certain* people will call it a failure no matter what. But that's big of you to clarify you won't be one of those people. :thumbsup: No bickering intended.

Nope. If the fictional next album sells 3 to 5 million, considering what it is and the lack of anticipation for it, I'd consider it a success. Anything else you'd like to bicker about?

Don't take this the wrong way, but it's not all about you. Notice I said "certain people." I was simply pointing out that *certain* people will call it a failure no matter what. But that's big of you to clarify you won't be one of those people. :thumbsup: No bickering intended.

Alright. But you can understand why I'd think you were talking about me when it was my post you quoted.

Alright. But you can understand why I'd think you were talking about me when it was my post you quoted.
Granted, you always think it's about you ;)

OK, how about we not talk about me then?

Let's see someone come out and admit that they'll call it a failure if it sells 3 to 5 million. Any takers?

Edit: Saber snuck a post in there. Snark in this comment aimed at Coma. Because he's a little bitch and I hate him.

Edited by magisme

OK, how about we not talk about me then?

Let's see someone come out and admit that they'll call it a failure if it sells 3 to 5 million. Any takers?

cupcakes don't work that way.

Call some people out then. Let's say next album sells 3 to 5. Who would you like to hear from?

Right, because if they don't come in this thread and "admit" it, that means I'm wrong. :eyeroll:

Not what I'm saying. I actually want to see what some of the people whom you probably suspect would think if it sold 3 to 5. Not trying to win an argument. I just happen to think you're wrong, with the exception of an outlier or two maybe, and I'd like to know whether I'm mistaken.

3-5 mil worldwide would be a success, especially with no big promo push. Sales are dodgy ground, it's more like is this the best way forward for GNR, to build on CD with CD II or say that's done and move on to Dj infested waters.

Would CD II or an eventual trilogy make latter day Guns a more interesting project?

From what I've seen journos love a good sequel. Like Operation Mindcrime 2. It's a way of reliving the first record, comparing, contrasting etc. Also with one of the tracks being called the sequel to Estranged.

If all they had was a few tracks, then a Deluxe edition of CD with a few bonus tracks would give it more mileage, set up another tour. But with what we know there were dozens of tracks. Why not go for broke and extend the CD to a double cd at least?