Nightrain 93 VS Now

Its all about personal taste ,but for me there is Absolutely NO CONTEST - 2002 or 2006 or now are WAY better than the old days .

I love Buckethead's Solo in Boston 02 but I think the greatest Nightrain ever is Rock AM Ring - Slash couldn't hold a Candle to Bumblefoot even if you set him on fire ! lol

And listen to toAxl at 4.07 in the Rock AM Ring Vid - that is even better than 93 ( IMHO )

Party passes are on their way to you Kid. Personally I prefer the guys who wrote the song but maybe that's just me.

• Like 1

Its all about personal taste ,but for me there is Absolutely NO CONTEST - 2002 or 2006 or now are WAY better than the old days .

I love Buckethead's Solo in Boston 02 but I think the greatest Nightrain ever is Rock AM Ring - Slash couldn't hold a Candle to Bumblefoot even if you set him on fire ! lol

And listen to toAxl at 4.07 in the Rock AM Ring Vid - that is even better than 93 ( IMHO )

how old are you?

What does age have to do with his personal opinion? I can not understand why people use that as argument.

Thanks xGNRxSTAR ! ;)

I don't think it really matters who wrote the song - Bob Dylan Wrote "All Along The Watch Tower" ,but does anybody think that is Better than Jimi Hendrix's version ?

Take a listen to Bumblefoot's Fretless Solo from 4.00 in the Osaka 2009 video - I wish THAT was the studio version .

Edited by Gene Skinner

how old are you?

What does age have to do with his personal opinion? I can not understand why people use that as argument.

It has plenty to do with it. Watching youtube videos doesn't qualify you as being around back in the day. Again if you were there you have more of an attachment to the people in the band and the things that were happening during that time. I don't know anyone who is thirty plus years old (other than a few people on here hoping for party passes ) that think the new band is better than the old. Then again on this board we have Gn'R-educators who like to tell you how things were back in the day even though they were barely born. Add that to the people who think Dj Ashba is more relevant than Jimmy Page and you see why age is a factor.

how old are you?

This is why I asked if it was an age thing: for me personally, the choice is a no brainer. For several other posters too. There's just no comparison. But there are posters who think 2011 is better. So I wonder if it is because I'm biased ? Like xGNRxSTARx said, we were around back in the day and experienced the excitement. When I watch a clip from those days, I feel that excitement again. But if you weren't there, you might see it in a different light. That's why I asked about age.

• Like 1

how old are you?

This is why I asked if it was an age thing: for me personally, the choice is a no brainer. For several other posters too. There's just no comparison. But there are posters who think 2011 is better. So I wonder if it is because I'm biased ? Like xGNRxSTARx said, we were around back in the day and experienced the excitement. When I watch a clip from those days, I feel that excitement again. But if you weren't there, you might see it in a different light. That's why I asked about age.

Yes, I understans that. The nostalgia feel plays a big part in that. However, people might simply like Axl's voice better in 2011, or Ron's guitar solo better.

How can you compare a guitarist in his 40's at osaka to slash who was 21 when he recorded nightrain. If rons version is superior its because he has had the time and experiance to work on slashs work.

Listen to slashs rocket queen.. does a 10 minute solo during it, its different on every tour and his guitar playing is superior now than it was in guns. If you are comparing guitarists at least compare them at a similar age and experiance.

Morris - To be honest I don't think Age has much to do with it ( If you listen to Bumblefoot's early solo work he was playing like that when he was 25 )

Also I feel that Slash has gotten lazier over the years ( not improved ) and I think he cant even play the way HE DID in 1993 .

Bumble and Slash are both in their 40s now and they both play the Nightrain solo ( Bumble with Gn'R and Slash Solo ) and I know which one I prefer :shades:

people might simply like Axl's voice better in 2011

Ban.

I don't like most of the 91, 92 or 93 shows because of Axl's full rasp and forced vocals :) Well, I like them but get annoyed all the time.

I agree about 91. I used to agree about 92, but I've come around on it. I've always loved 93.

But let's be honest, for most of Axl's career, what's been fascinating about him in a live setting has never really been his voice. Look at the energy and intensity from anything in the 80s or 90s. Then watch anything from 2011 on. Yes, he's older, I get it, but it's still sad to accept how much of a difference time has made in his performance.

Not really. While I love Bucket's playing, his Nightrain solo was just his signature (Paul Gilbert's) lick being played over and over with a few bluesy-inspired licks thrown in. He's got the least creative version out of the three by far.

Magisme, his voice ruined a few songs in 93, like this...

I hate his timbre... I really do. The NR live era version is the real deal :)

Yes, he lost a lot performance-wise but his voice being less raspier is better in some songs. I am not kidding, I genuinely hated how Axl used to sing some songs such as NR and Patience (not the outro though) back in 91 and 93. He sounded better in 92 but still sounded too raspy at times which took away from the song instead of adding.

• Like 1

Songs I've never thought Axl sounded good singing live:

November Rain

SCOM

Patience (outro)

Those are the only ones I think might sound slightly better with the cleaner voice, and, imo, they still don't sound very good. What are you saying about Patience, Bruno? You thought the outro was good in the 90s?

• Like 1

November Rain and SCOM are the 2 songs I don't think Axl ever gave a great vocal performance of during the UYI era. Only SCOM live versions I like from him are from '88 and before. November Rain is one of the few songs I like from '91-'02. These days he puts on a kind of "silly voice" often, which bothers me, but when he sings it clean I like it. It's like how I generally prefer '10 Axl to '12-'13 Axl, but the latter sounds better on a couple of songs (Shackler's Revenge, Better).

Back on topic, you're trying to compare the best Nightrain ever with probably the worst Nightrain ever.

From the nuEra, I love this one just for his vocals an octave higher on the first couple of verses:

The perfect Axl for me would be '93 energy, '88 lung capacity and '10 voice (I prefer the depper richer sound from this era, but the increased oxygen breaks mean '93 gives the better visual performance).

Yes, I liked how he sounded on the outro :) Because it was the Hard Rock bit of the song. Tbh I dont know if I liked it because he was running around and screaming like a madman, but I really liked it.

I've never liked his singing on those songs, yes. However, I love how he sounded singing NR in 2001 because you could hear his passion. Maybe I'm the only one, but he seemed to care that day. It all went downhill since then though :lol:

I don't think it really matters who wrote the song - Bob Dylan Wrote "All Along The Watch Tower" ,but does anybody think that is Better than Jimi Hendrix's version ?

Take a listen to Bumblefoot's Fretless Solo from 4.00 in the Osaka 2009 video - I wish THAT was the studio version .

Thank you. Been saying that for ages ever since I got to listen to both versions.

And I love that extended version of the solo :)

• Like 1

I have to go with the new one or really the ’06 one if we’re getting more particular.

It’s hard for me to watch stuff from deep into the Illusion tour because I know they were all so fucked up and miserable. Axl’s voice usually seems a bit blown and the band’s not as tight as they could be.

I’d love to see ’06 Axl sing it with Buckethead, but that will only exist in my wet dream.

Party passes are on their way to you Kid. Personally I prefer the guys who wrote the song but maybe that's just me.

The main songwriter isn't even in that 93 performance. You tryin to get some backstage passes to gilby's next trip to the grocery store?

• Like 1

The main songwriter isn't even in that 93 performance. You tryin to get some backstage passes to gilby's next trip to the grocery store?

:lol:

This is why Cardi is one of the best posters!

real McCoy wow - that is awesome another night!

anyways back on topic or off it - it is of my opinion that Nightrain is the single BEST example of Slash's unbelievable talent especially towards the end, his riffing takes a complete life of its own - im not sure any other gnr material touches it and it is up there with any other riff of a top guitarist of any other super band

real McCoy wow - that is awesome another night!

anyways back on topic or off it - it is of my opinion that Nightrain is the single BEST example of Slash's unbelievable talent especially towards the end, his riffing takes a complete life of its own - im not sure any other gnr material touches it and it is up there with any other riff of a top guitarist of any other super band

Which is why it's such a crime that it's one of the few GNR songs that repeats to fade on the studio version. I mean, the guitar solo is just getting going and it fades away! One of the few flaws of AFD.

• Like 2