Do you think Steven would've played YCBM better than Matt?

For sure, however this would be dependent on Adler being able to remain sober enough to play to his full potential. From all accounts, getting him to perform on Civil War was a nightmare and his parts had to be pieced together from the acceptable takes he gave...

Adler would have had no trouble playing the intro fill. It's one of those things that sounds impressive yet is actually fairly easy to play. Kind of like John Bonham's classic tom roll - it's not difficult but it sure sounds great. Granted, even though Adler could probably play it all the same, that's not to say he would have come up with that opening drum fill. It might have been entirely different, so who knows what an Adler version could have been like. I love Matt's drumming on it as is.

I agree the part is quite simple (definite nod to Bonham), definitely effective :) I'm not a drummer... I'm a "drum enthusiast" that has basic skills, when I get behind a kit I love playing thats fill and this song in genera is really fun for a drummer. Adler could definitely ply the fill but I think he always leaned on the simple and to the point style, like Ringo or phil rudd even though he's obviously a bonzo nut. love this video, the way he slices those cymbals... :)https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWUtv62HuAU

I don't think you could pick a song that is a better example of Matt being a better choice than Steven. Steven had a sort if 'just off the mark' feel that made things feel a little 'funk' for lack of a better term... This is why he is perfect for rocket queen and mr. Brownstone (i think those examples were already mentioned) and steven would have NAILED songs like bad apples or locomotive in his prime... But YCBM, perfect crime, etc? Give me a the guy who is almost punching a hole in the drums with each dead on beat. That's Matt.

i thought part of the problem with Adler is that he couldn't play the UYI stuff. Not technically couldn't specifically, but wasn't together enough to do it, and even if he was it wasn't really his thing. But maybe if they took YCBM, Bad Obsession, Back Off Bitch, Don't Cry, Heaven's Door, Civil War maybe they could have done another Appetite-type record with Steven.

Edited by wasted

I think if Adler had it together for the UYI sessions, if he was struggling with the timekeeping on the 3 songs Axl wanted perfect, they would have had a session drummer do it. They probably could have gotten the drummer from Elton's band at the time to come in for a couple of days and been done with it.