enough!! there has to a reason

I was here in 2010 as a lurker and I remember very few people complaining but most of them (and this forum had more traffic back then) were praising Axl's voice.

I'm not saying everybody was complainin, am I? I'm saying there still were people focusing on that fact.

Never said you did. People complained about the braids in 2006. Buckethead and Finck in 2002, etc. The thing is, back then you could sense the positivity around here. Now you see even the greatest Axl supporters turning their backs and scratching their heads.

Back then...before people like you joined the forum, you mean? :awesomeface: You say it was better back then but yet you decided to join now. Admit you enjoy the bashing.

I understand your point though and it's obvious there are more reasons to be upset nowadays. Honestly, if he has some helath problem, whatever, it would be easier to explain what is happening. And I'm sure people would still go to their shows, but he wouldn't need to try to impersonate all Axl because people would be aware of his limitations.

Not now, I joined in 2011. You joined in late 2012, should I think you're more negative than me? Give me a break here. I don't enjoy the bashing, I think people should be honest and stop making excuses for Axl and call a spade a spade.

If he has a medical condition or a health issue, then rest and release a public statement as to why you're not active. Simple as that. Don't sell shit to your fans and take advantage from the blind ones.

He needs a doctor's note.

Reminds me of high school. :lol:

Edited by Nosaj Thing

Get a room, you two.

There's room for a third. :kiss:

OK, back on topic.... I think the reason is that this is in fact an Axl impersonator. The real Axl Rose disappeared in 1999. No one has heard from him since. He was reclusive anyway, so the public was unaware. TB took advantage and found someone to keep the revenue stream flowing.

Ok...

I am so tired of reading each new show thread with everyone trashing Axl and his voice.

Is it what we onced loved...no... I just watched about an hour of 2010 videos and wow did it sound great!

I know being a performing singer/songwriter myself that there is no way you would want to give less than Axl was giving in 2010 and enjoy it... unless there was a reason.

Axl doesn't hate us and is not TRYING to alienate his fans. Guaranteed he enjoys giving his all and satisfing his fan base. I can't imagine the pressure of EVERY show and EVERY song being on youtube for the world to critque. But my point is there has to be a medical reason. Axl wouldn't stop singing in his trademark rasp if there wasn't... why would he? to be spiteful... I really fucking doubt it.

My guess is that he gave his all in 2010 (I saw 5 shows and all of them his voice was as great as 87-88) and after the tour his vocal cords were a mess. I know he had surgury in 92, likely again after 2010.... maybe the Dr told him "you CANT do this anymore or you will never be able to sing again"

There has to be a limit to the amount of times you can cut vocal nodules away before you can\t?

I'm not a Dr but I am a vocalist and I know that even with finesse and techinque RASP HURTS... you can medigate it but it hurts.

It might just be if Axl blows his cords out again, we might never hear him sing again

COOL STORY

Steven-Adler-and-Slash1-1.jpeg

BRO

• Like 1

This guy is right, we should jut accept it and move on... great advice! vocal coaches will till you that you can sing with rasp or in an aggressive way and not hurt your voice so i'm not sure what you are on about. Maybe you are singing solely from the throat, use your diaphragm... less work for your throat and you won't need to have a drink of water after each line.

I know the reason, Axl is NOT PREPARING for concert runs, he should be out jogging or at least on a treadmill building up stamina and he should be working with a vocal coach from time to time... He cannot be doing either of those things because he's far chunkier than he's been in a while and any vocal coach worth there fee would be able to get Axl to sound 10x times better than he does now. Axl believes that he can just pull it out of the bag, because he likely did that back in the old days and maybe on the 2006 tour as well (speculation) but unless your a freak of nature like Dio (never warmed up, just had a joint and a beer before each show) you need to warm up and you need to take care of yourself.

Pro singers don't go out and hit every note every night, they pick and choose "if I hit all the high notes tonight, I won't be able to sing tomorrow etc." Axl went out in 2010 and did it his way and it sounded great but it's likely he didn't use great technique and maybe he has hurt himself...(speculation) nothing that can't be fixed.

That's Tom Keifer with Halestorm September 2013. Listen to him when he does his first part after she gets finished singing. He sounds pretty much like the Axl we get a lot.

Axl's Mickey voice is the natural way his singing would sound if he didn't put the grit into it. It's always seemed to me he was really trying, but it just doesn't work anymore. Maybe he did something for the 2006-2011 era, who knows? He even says in one video that he has "no fuckin' idea" why he doesn't use his "excellent raspy voice" anymore.

That's Tom Keifer with Halestorm September 2013. Listen to him when he does his first part after she gets finished singing. He sounds pretty much like the Axl we get a lot.

Axl's Mickey voice is the natural way his singing would sound if he didn't put the grit into it. It's always seemed to me he was really trying, but it just doesn't work anymore. Maybe he did something for the 2006-2011 era, who knows? He even says in one video that he has "no fuckin' idea" why he doesn't use his "excellent raspy voice" anymore.

Great song.

Jesus, Lzzy has an incredible vocal range and sexy legs but those pants ain't working for her. :lol: Tom sounds better than Axl but I get your point.

Edited by Nosaj Thing

Great song.

Jesus, Lzzy has an incredible vocal range and sexy legs but those pants ain't working for her. :lol: Tom sounds better than Axl but I get your point.

Well I'm only talking about his first couple of lines in that song. He somehow manages to pull the rest of it off decently.

I don't know what Tom Keiffer usually sounds like but that video isn't that bad, it sounds like an older 80s rock singer who's voice has changed but he still sounds good hitting the notes and overall a strong performance for a first time hearing him. Axl can still hit all the high and low notes unlike this guy who now has a limited range, but unlike Tom Axl can't sing with power anymore so in the eyes of the GA Tom would blow him off the stage (maybe a poor choice of words).

I don't know what Tom Keiffer usually sounds like but that video isn't that bad, it sounds like an older 80s rock singer who's voice has changed but he still sounds good hitting the notes and overall a strong performance for a first time hearing him. Axl can still hit all the high and low notes unlike this guy who now has a limited range, but unlike Tom Axl can't sing with power anymore so in the eyes of the GA Tom would blow him off the stage (maybe a poor choice of words).

At their finest I guess.

Cinderella put out some of the best albums of that era.

And Lizzy is amazing. I can't believe her band isn't bigger than they are. People complain that there are no more just pure hard rock bands out there.....Halestorm is just that.

• Like 1

And Lizzy is amazing. I can't believe her band isn't bigger than they are. People complain that there are no more just pure hard rock bands out there.....Halestorm is just that.

Agreed. She sounds amazing.

Course.....how dare we judge her performances from youtube videos of shows we weren't at.

Why do you think her fan's cell phones have better recording equipment than Axl's fan's cellphones?

• Like 1

oh fuck off you haters....

I know as a performer I give my best every chance I get. Axl doesn't wake up and think "oh man, I'm going to really piss off those message board haters today and have no rasp in my voice... especially at a charity show Neil Young is putting on... that will teach them"

If Axl could he would.... there is a reason. It might do him good to do what Tom Keifer did and just do an interview and let people know what is going on... but I'm going to stop hating and accept that for whatever reason Axl can't do what he use to. There is no reason to think he would just be trying to 'fuck with the fans'...

Oh, fuck off you blind mediocre follower. :rolleyes:

Like I said before in another thread, alright, let's assume for a second that he's deliberately choosing to sing with clean weak vocals or that he's trying to save his voice. Now, take a second and explain to me (in other words, come up with yet another lame excuse) as to why he's completely out of shape? And I'm not talkin' about Axl being fat. If you saw the last performances you could've perceived he's out of breath every 5 seconds, he can't hit longer notes because he desperately needs air. He couldn't even finish November Rain outro the other day.

Well ok, then why don't you continue to visit a message board of a band that the singer obviously hates you and sings in way that annoys you JUST TO PISS YOU OFF.... seriously dude, if you hate it that much go on a fucking hike or ride your bike to a lake or something. I can seriously think of a million better things to do than go to a message board and bitch about I no longer like or respect and get annoyed watching new clips of them perform.

Axl doesn't hate you and is not trying to spite you. Why don't you take off your shirt and give us a photo hot shot and see how you like being critequed

get a life

Maybe you should follow your own advice? :shrugs:

If a few posts from random strangers on a rock n roll message board make you so angry and bitter.....seriously dude, why don't you go on a hike or ride your bike to a lake or something. You say you can seriously think of a million better things to do than go to a message board and bitch......yet, here you are.

Not trying to be rude. But at least the posters are talking about the TOPIC. The band that this forum is dedicated to. You, on the other hand, are just insulting people who aren't in the band that the forum is devoted to.

And your shirt comment is ludicrous. Apples to oranges. I can't sing anywhere like Axl Rose can. But I bet you I can do my job 10000 times better than he can. The point you are missing is that if we had a hundred million dollars in the bank, millions of fans, and Axl's vocal talent......would we just go on cruise control, or would we put in the work during the off season to assure that we were in tip-top performance shape? Axl clearly doesn't. I'd like to think that I would. And if I didn't care enough to do so - then I wouldn't tour. If people are going to pay $150 a ticket to come watch me, and some people were going to travel and pay thousands of dollars to see my concerts...I'd make damn sure I was in top shape and gave them a top performance every time.

Dude I started the topic fucking topic. About the likelihood Axl has a medical issue with this vocal cords and is not purposely singing a way YOU don't like to piss you off. There are a few of you on here that just for whatever reason can't fathom the idea and act like you feel personally persecuted because Axl doesn't sound like he did in 92 or 2010.

I'm not angry and bitter by posts, I'm just trying to defend my favorite band and vocalist. If you think Axl is singing this way on purpose, well then you really shouldn't stick around.

Just trying to put a plausable explaination out there from what I've heard in the past, my personal experience with performing and vocal coaches etc.

And I did just have a bike ride by the ocean... it was awesome. Thanks for the advice :headbang:

It's not a case of "vocal cord damage" vs. "purposefully pissing fans off", though. I do think there is some damage, but I think there's also less drive; not to say he wants to give a shit performance, but he's not willing or doesn't feel the fire in him to push himself as hard as he used to. He alludes to that somewhat in the Oct 2012 USA Today interview:

'In GNR's early years, Rose worked out the "angst, frustration and rebellion" of his painful upbringing on stage and off.

"I was expressing my emotions and took that as far as you can and still be alive," he says. "I could beat my mike stand into the stage but I was still in pain. Maybe fans liked it, but sometimes people forget you're a person and they're more into the entertainment value. It's taken a long time to turn that around and give a strong show without it being a kamikaze show.

"There was a much more self-destructive nature in Appetite. It was a going-for-it-at-all-cost thing that worked then. I don't know if that's the smartest thing for me now."'

Should Axl be killing himself on stage each night just for our pleasure? No, I don't think so. But I also don't think he's going through standard performer preparation like rehearsals or fitness training. It's gone from one extreme to the other. 2010 I think he was giving it all he got, 2011-12 he mellowed out a bit but he did talk about exercising ("not as much as I should"). Now I get the feeling he's really just settling for bare minimum, which is a bit sad. He can get away with it South America because the crowds there are so excitable anyway, and maybe Vegas too since it's a stroll-in-after-blowing-everything-on-the-craps-table kind of gig. He couldn't get away with this in normal US/European shows, though, so maybe he'll turn it up a notch again in the future hopefully.

• Like 1

Shit's dire. The reason? the only real reason (since new Guns was started) is and always was Axl. No way around it really.

Too much power and control, too spoiled, too old to give a fuck? Not confident enough as a musician to release more then one album in 20 years, leaves fans in the dark about new material and still no real updates about anything of value to the hardcore fan.

Too stubborn to work shit out with the record company? I think whatever the hold up may be with an album and the state of Axl's voice and body - it all comes down to what you're able to achieve in a reasonable amount of time, and all that he's doing right now is making money without giving the most important shit which is new music and decent shows.

Axl is responsible. Gn'R fans deserve much better then this shit. It's been 5 years. We should at least know what's going on. That's not too much to ask for.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 2

It's not a case of "vocal cord damage" vs. "purposefully pissing fans off", though. I do think there is some damage, but I think there's also less drive; not to say he wants to give a shit performance, but he's not willing or doesn't feel the fire in him to push himself as hard as he used to. He alludes to that somewhat in the Oct 2012 USA Today interview:

'In GNR's early years, Rose worked out the "angst, frustration and rebellion" of his painful upbringing on stage and off.

"I was expressing my emotions and took that as far as you can and still be alive," he says. "I could beat my mike stand into the stage but I was still in pain. Maybe fans liked it, but sometimes people forget you're a person and they're more into the entertainment value. It's taken a long time to turn that around and give a strong show without it being a kamikaze show.

"There was a much more self-destructive nature in Appetite. It was a going-for-it-at-all-cost thing that worked then. I don't know if that's the smartest thing for me now."'

Should Axl be killing himself on stage each night just for our pleasure? No, I don't think so. But I also don't think he's going through standard performer preparation like rehearsals or fitness training. It's gone from one extreme to the other. 2010 I think he was giving it all he got, 2011-12 he mellowed out a bit but he did talk about exercising ("not as much as I should"). Now I get the feeling he's really just settling for bare minimum, which is a bit sad. He can get away with it South America because the crowds there are so excitable anyway, and maybe Vegas too since it's a stroll-in-after-blowing-everything-on-the-craps-table kind of gig. He couldn't get away with this in normal US/European shows, though, so maybe he'll turn it up a notch again in the future hopefully.

Wow t4p never noticed he said this before. It explains a lot

Edited by Janis

I dunno, the difference between 2010 and everything after is just so stark that I think Axl had to have done damage to his vocal cords. So hoping for

another 2010 seems unrealistic.

That being said, yeah, Axl's definitely not doing everything in his power to improve what he currently has to work with, this is

evidenced by the fact that his voice seems to come and go. And sure, you could say that's part of the damage but I happen to

believe that with more training / preparation Axl could still sound consistently good. It isn't like he's going for it and his voice is

completely blowing out (ie The Bridge School performance), it seems like moreso a deliberate, selective switch between using the

Mickey and his regular voice.