Male Fashion Thread

magisme

I do, but I keep it pretty classic. Fashion forward but classic.

French style is 99% of the time underpinned with a classic sensibility. That's why I imagine you 'a la Francaise'. Jean Paul Gaultier and Martin Margiela are rogues of French fashion. :awesomeface:

Your taste is probably leaning more towards the American culture for neat but relaxed, casual sportiness, as opposed to the French (and also Italian) very fine taste for exquisite tailoring which is slowly becoming a thing of the past due to today's more relaxed corporate environment.

It's interesting that Glow (as a young French dude) wears cool scarves when required to present a certain style/image and that you too gravitate to that look. I see this as a sign that the traditional tie is becoming a thing of the past and young men are looking to other ways to express formality other than the usual 'suit and tie' ensemble. Cool. :)

:wub:

Martin Margiela is Belgian. :max: He graduated in Antwerp. I know he worked/works in Paris, but he is Belgian.

French style is 99% of the time underpinned with a classic sensibility. That's why I imagine you 'a la Francaise'. Jean Paul Gaultier and Martin Margiela are rogues of French fashion. :awesomeface:

Your taste is probably leaning more towards the American culture for neat but relaxed, casual sportiness, as opposed to the French (and also Italian) very fine taste for exquisite tailoring which is slowly becoming a thing of the past due to today's more relaxed corporate environment.

It's interesting that Glow (as a young French dude) wears cool scarves when required to present a certain style/image and that you too gravitate to that look. I see this as a sign that the traditional tie is becoming a thing of the past and young men are looking to other ways to express formality other than the usual 'suit and tie' ensemble. Cool. :)

Martin Margiela is Belgian. :max: He graduated in Antwerp. I know he worked/works in Paris, but he is Belgian.

I didn't know that! Belgium being a French speaking country and given the fact that he lives, works and shows in Paris and has an understanding of cut and silhouette that is frankly only seen in the French and Italians, I actually assumed he was French but it makes total sense. His design aesthetic is very Belgian or even closer to the Dutch. He doesn't have any of the classic French idiosyncrasies about him and the fact he is so conceptual makes him very unFrench (hence my definition of being a rogue), yet his understanidng of cut and silhouette is so sophisticated and is ideally French! He is a genuine anomaly. That explains why he is so revered yet his clothes are so unwearable. :lol:

So now it's down to JPG, the only true French rogue designer. Rogue Vogue. :awesomeface:

Edited by Redhead74

I didn't know that! Belgium being a French speaking country and given the fact that he lives, works and shows in Paris and has an understanding of cut and silhouette that is frankly only seen in the French and Italians, I actually assumed he was French but it makes total sense. His design aesthetic is very Belgian or even closer to the Dutch. He doesn't have any of the classic French idiosyncrasies about him, yet his understanidng of cut and silhouette is so sophisticated and is ideally French! He is a genuine anomaly. That explains why he is so revered yet his clothes are so unwearable. :lol:

So now it's down to JPG, the only true French rogue designer. Rogue Vogue. :awesomeface:

We speak Dutch (Flemish) here. Thank you very much. 60% of the Belgians speak Dutch. The Antwerp school is especially famous for the Antwerp Six (Walter Van Beirendonck, Ann Demeulemeester, Dries Van Noten, Dirk van Saene, Dirk Bikkembergs, Marina Yee).

I didn't know that! Belgium being a French speaking country and given the fact that he lives, works and shows in Paris and has an understanding of cut and silhouette that is frankly only seen in the French and Italians, I actually assumed he was French but it makes total sense. His design aesthetic is very Belgian or even closer to the Dutch. He doesn't have any of the classic French idiosyncrasies about him, yet his understanidng of cut and silhouette is so sophisticated and is ideally French! He is a genuine anomaly. That explains why he is so revered yet his clothes are so unwearable. :lol:

We speak Dutch (Flemish) here. Thank you very much. 60% of the Belgians speak Dutch. The Antwerp school is especially famous for the Antwerp Six (Walter Van Beirendonck, Ann Demeulemeester, Dries Van Noten, Dirk van Saene, Dirk Bikkembergs, Marina Yee).

Ja, ik spreek Nederlands ook. Het was meestal omdat Martin Margiela heeft en Frans naam en zijn erfend erkenis zijn Frans, dat ik gedacht dat hij Frans was. Ik ben bewust van het Antwerp Zes. Die zijn iedereen zeer getalenteerd. Maar MM wordt niet behelzen en dat is waarschijnlijk omdat hij heeft zijn naam gemaakt in Parijs? Net als Azzedine Alaia heeft zijn naam gemaakt in Parijs en niet Tunisia.

Ik hou heel veel van het Antwerpse 'school of design'. Veronique Branquinho, zijn ook een van mijn favouriet ontwerpers. En wat meet kunnen we zeggen over Raf Simons en Olivier Theyskens? :wub:

Sorry, mijn Nederlands zijn niet fantastisch maar ik bedoelt helemaal geen overtreding bij mijn fout. Veel respect zijn verdient aan het Belgische :)

En jullie maakt ook het beste chocolade in de wereld! :awesomeface:

Edited by Redhead74

Ja, ik spreek Nederlands ook. Het was meestal omdat Martin Margiela heeft en Frans naam en zijn erfend erkenis zijn Frans, dat ik gedacht dat hij Frans was. Ik ben bewust van het Antwerp Zes. Die zijn iedereen zeer getalenteerd. Maar MM wordt niet behelzen en dat is waarschijnlijk omdat hij heeft zijn naam gemaakt in Parijs?

Ik hou heel veel van het Antwerpse 'school of design'. Veronique Branquinho, zijn ook een van mijn favouriet ontwerpers. En wat meet kunnen we zeggen over Raf Simons en Olivier Theyskens? :wub:

Sorry, mijn Nederlands zijn niet fantastisch maar ik bedoelt helemaal geen overtreding bij mijn fout. Veel respect zijn verdient aan het Belgische :)

En jullie maakt ook het beste chocolade in de wereld! :awesomeface:

:)

Here's some explanation about the Six and Margiela.

n 1986, a group of young Belgian designers drive their work over to London for the British Designers Show. Their slick, eye-catching presentations and ground-breaking designs catch the attention of the UK fashion press who dub them the 'Antwerp Six' – in part as a way to get around their tongue-twisting polysyllabic names. Walter Van Beirendonck, Dirk Bikkembergs, Marina Yee, Dirk Van Saene, Ann Demeulemeester and Dries Van Noten will go on to show individually in Paris, as in 1989, will their contemporary Martin Margiela, who has been working as an assistant to Jean-Paul Gaultier.

The ‘Six’ and Margiela (later referred to as the 6+) graduated from the Fashion Department of the Antwerp Academy in 1980, '81 and '82; even then they were regarded as something of a revolutionary force. As students they had their eye on the international scene – in particular cutting-edge designers like Mugler, Montana and Gaultier – and pushed to bring this spirit into their work and presentations at the Academy, rather to the horror of their professors.

By the end of the decade, the 6+ in Paris are being championed by key fashion journalists including Suzy Menkes of the International Herald Tribune, and by ultra hip magazines like The Face. Such is their influence, that Menkes later described them as having defined the style of the 1990s.

Many of the ‘Six’ will continue to live and work in Antwerp for the coming decades. Dries Van Noten and Ann Demeulemeester will base their headquarters in the city, as will Walter Van Beirendonck, who will go on to become head of the Fashion Department at the Academy.

Amazing! It's pretty apparent from Margiela's work that he had links with JPG. It's fascinating the way a symbiosis can be seen without even knowing that the two worked together. That says a lot for both of them really. Out of the Six the two designers that REALLY influenced fashion and managed that perfect combination of avant garde and commercial viability was Ann Demeulemeester and Dries Van Noten. Probably the latter is even more highly regarded for his acute understanding of colour. I think he is a true artist, with a complete disregard for trends and solely relies on his own eye and follows his own inspiration. He's great. AD is like an architect who never got to build buildings. She has an engineering skill about her that she translates to clothing in a way that very few others can accomplish. Great signature styles the both of them. :)

I know we're derailing the male fashion thread a bit, but anyway... They always do stock sales and a few years ago, I managed to pick up a dress from Ann Demeulemeester :) Walter Van Beirendonck designs children's wear now, I bought my daughter one of his dresses, so we can both show our designerwear ;) Mine is a really long dress though, so I haven't worn it much.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Fucking lol! According to some of the users comments at the end of the article 'your junk can unexpectedly pop out if not careful' and apparently the sizing is 'one size fits MOST'. Big junk falls out of the trunk. :rofl-lol:

And both of those models look incredibly awkward and as if they might be experiencing a bit of pain (if not shame) :lol:

They have something similar for women, just google C-string. In some countries

they call those male versions penekini. They are also available looking like

C-strings. The side version looks like it will stay on much better.

My next buy, probably next month :131031ba045.jpg

Already have four ByTheR leather jackets and I love them.

They use great soft hides by the looks of things and the colour of the leather is always to die for. Great design details too. I don't blame you, I'd probably buy their entire range if I was a guy.

But then again I have no self control whatsoever. In the last 2 weeks I bought 3 pairs of shoes, a playsuit, a pair of earrings and a t shirt. I said to myself "right! That's it! No more for a few weeks!"

Tonight on my way home from work I drove past one of my favourite shops and they had a '25% off storewide!' sign in the window. So I stopped. I looked. I bought a gold brocade skirt and a sequinned top (multi colour sequins, it's fucking awesome!). I didn't get 25% off, I got 45% off! Not quite sure how that happened, but I wasn't about to point out the error and I bought a good skirt and a sequin top that I don't need but which look fabulous. :awesomeface: Aah, who cares, I get paid on Wednesday. Life is to be lived and I'm fucking living it! Gonna rock the gold skirt tomorrow. *happydance*

Plus the gold skirt and sequin top are Australian designers and Australian made so I probably just did a really good deed and helped the Australian fashion design industry AND the economy. :awesomeface:

Most of them yes.

There are a few shops in Paris that sell the same clothes ( ByTheR is basically a South Korean brand that is also a distributor for designer brands from around the world in Korea ) but I'd rather order online every once in a while.

Interesting. I know absolutely nothing about Korean fashion. My curiosity is now piqued........:thumbsup:

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...