Tori fucking Amos is the single best songwriter of the last 25 years.

Towelie

Since 1992 she has single-handedly written fourteen albums, some of which are double albums in length, not to mention at least another four albums worth of b-sides and outtakes. Not only is she one of the most prolific songwriters of the last 25 years, she is also one of the most talented musicians around - her piano chops are second to none.

If she had a penis she would be revered as a genius.

Edited by Towelie
  • Like 1

^Nope, I've never seen her in Manchester, although I would definitely class myself as a superfan, or as we Tori nerds call ourselves, a Toriphile. She's the artist I've seen in concert the most, about to see her next week for the ninth time. Have also met her twice and she was a very gracious and humble person

And I know she's old enough to be my mother, but I still definitely would.

Toriphile - must mention that to my husband :lol: I've only seen her once, but I was impressed. I only know the 'hits' though. I was extremely pleased with myself when she played a song I knew and my husband didn't: Love Song from The Cure :P Towelie, let me know how it was. You're not going to the Royal Albert Hall, are you ?

Toriphile - must mention that to my husband :lol: I've only seen her once, but I was impressed. I only know the 'hits' though. I was extremely pleased with myself when she played a song I knew and my husband didn't: Love Song from The Cure :P Towelie, let me know how it was. You're not going to the Royal Albert Hall, are you ?

No, I'm going to Birmingham to see her. I usually try and catch more than one of her shows when she comes to the UK, but alas, times are hard.

This is one of my all time favourite Tori songs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aD4egZFxw8

Tori is one of my heroes. She is one of the most inspirational musicians I've ever encountered, not to mention completely original and innovative. And live she is even better than on recordings! That's no mean feat! Whenever I've heard her perform Jupiter on stage it has the ability to floor me every time. The strength and soaring quality of her voice is exceptional. My all time favourites though would have to be Sugar and Cooling.

She's really an amazing role model as well. It's a shame that she doesn't have a stronger audience among young women and girls because she is the complete antithesis of most of today's female pop stars. A great influence on women and the type of woman all females should strive to be: creative, diverse, honest, strong and sexy whilst having imperfections and not being afraid to show them.

Not even close to Jeff Buckley

and if we want to go female Fiona Apple

To be honest I don't think Jeff Buckley is much of a lyricist. He does have an amazing voice and sense of musicianship that can't be taught but his lyrics don't scream greatest of the past 25 years to me.

• Like 1

Guest Len B'stard

Gimme Ari Up any day...or Poly Styrene.

go dig them up then

They were cremated. Also, you've not got your head around the concept of recorded music have you petal? :lol:

Edited by sugaraylen

Not even close to Jeff Buckley

and if we want to go female Fiona Apple

To be honest I don't think Jeff Buckley is much of a lyricist. He does have an amazing voice and sense of musicianship that can't be taught but his lyrics don't scream greatest of the past 25 years to me.

I think it is matter of taste but his lyrics fit his songs naturally, they aren't overcomplicated but aren't obvious. His lyrics are subtle. Take song like "Forget Her" those lyrics flow flawlessly with whole song, maybe there aren't something spectaular on their own but add his voice, his arrangements and those lyrics are perfect and make song perfect. That's mark of truly great songwriter, he was they guy who wasn't overdoing thinks for sake of overdoing it. He could shred on guitar (which I love the most how underrated he is as a guitarist), sing almost everyhing but he didn't because it would take away something from particular song. At his best his work is extraordinary in a way how music, voice, lyrics combine for something that's amazing as a whole.

Tori Amos is great songwriter I admit this but Jeff Buckley is on another level.

And as I said I even prefer Fiona Apple to Tori Amos. "Shadowboxer" is such an amazing piece of art.

Gimme Ari Up any day...or Poly Styrene.

go dig them up then

They were cremated. Also, you've not got your head around the concept of recorded music have you petal? :lol:

OK "Mr. I Must Be Edgy In Every Post" :headbang::lol: . I do like The Slits and X-Ray Spex but you can't compare them to Tori. It's apples and oranges.

^Nope, I've never seen her in Manchester, although I would definitely class myself as a superfan, or as we Tori nerds call ourselves, a Toriphile. She's the artist I've seen in concert the most, about to see her next week for the ninth time. Have also met her twice and she was a very gracious and humble person

And I know she's old enough to be my mother, but I still definitely would.

So, Towelie, curious to know how it went... How was the concert ?