Could DJ Ashba be replaced with Vivian Campbell?

PLEASE NOTE that this isn't a speculation/rumor thread, it's just a hypothetical question.

For me, nuGNR is a giant topic of what-ifs. I've always wondered that if certain scenarios had happened instead of others, the band would've been a lot more successful than they are now. One of the biggest what-ifs of course, is what if DJ Ashba had never been introduced into the band. Now, I'm always going to be a proponent of just Richard and Ron doing a dual-guitar thing, but every now and then I wonder if there's a better replacement for DJ out there.

And introducing my pick...Vivian Campbell!

So who the hell is Vivian Campbell? Well, unlike say, Bumblefoot, Vivian is actually a decently known guitarist with a pretty strong resume. For example:

1) Vivian played with Dio from 1983-1986 and was the lead guitarist on Holy Diver. It's Dio's best studio album and his guitar work is a hallmark of it.

2) He's been a guitarist for Def Leppard since 1992. So obviously he's well-versed in classic rock.

3) He also done touring stints with Whitesnake and Thin Lizzy.

Here's some mindless shredding:

Obviously he's got the skills needed to play in GNR. It's also a big plus that he's not a fucking tool like DJ. I'd imagine that if he took DJ's role, he could either a) Do what DJ does 10 times better or b) Take a macho-shredding/dual approach with Ron and leave Richard to be the rhythm player he already is.

That's not to say that there's some downsides though:

1) If he ever did join GNR, I doubt he'd give up his lucrative gig with Def Leppard. This could lead to touring conflicts.

2) He got diagnosed with cancer in 2013. He's in remission at the moment, but his health could lead to issues.

3) He's Irish and GNR has never had a non-American member (Well, I don't count Slash as British and I don't count Ole Beich either [Thanks Nulla for the insight into this]) I doubt that this would be an issue, but it's still something worth bringing up.

4) I'd imagine he and Axl would butt heads in some way or another.

What do you think? Any other ideas for a better replacement?

Edited by highvoltage
  • Like 1

I'd definitely prefer Viv to DJ, but then again I'd prefer just about anybody to DJ.

I love Viv's work on the first 3 DIO albums, he deserves the title of legend with that alone...but I'm not so sure he would work out TBH.

I'd prefer Ashba went away and wasn't replaced.

I think Viv could definitely bring something interesting to the table. However, I don't think he'd stay for long. He seems like the type who would quickly leave over creative differences, not sure if he actually is, but he does seem like it. Plus, he's got a ton of projects going on, so he probably wouldn't have much time for Guns N' Roses. But I imagine the solo spots he'd have with Bumblefoot and Richard would be killer, whether or not he went with something original. Also, not to nitpick, but he'd technically be the third non-american. Slash was born a UK citizen, if I recall right, although he did spend most of his life in the US, and the founding bassist was from a Scandinavian country, again, if I recall right, of course he only played like five shows so he's only a member on a very technical basis.

I think a neat addition to Guns N' Roses would be Stevie Salas. Being in a band that plays mostly oldies wouldn't be a new experience for him, since outside of his solo work he's mostly been a side man, which is a real shame since the solo stuff indicates he's got great talent. Also, if they did end up making a new album with him I'm sure it'd be a pretty neat sound. Plus, it would be really awesome because it would bring him some much needed exposure, and although it's not likely, he would at least have a chance to record with a big name band. Most people know him as "That dude who played Rufus' guitar solo at the end of Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure." Probably won't ever happen, but it's still a neat thought for me.

BBF is not American correct? He has a slight accent from what I can tell from hearing him talk.

I have no idea what his accent is, but he was born and raised in New York.

Blues Saraceno or CC Deville.

I hold either of those two (from POISON) in higher esteem than Ashba.

Actually now that I think about it, I'd love for Satchel from Steel Panther to replace Ashba. It's such an overtly comedic move it's hard to judge Axl for the replacement.

Asian Hooker/SCOM medley for days.

• Like 1

You guys must not have heard! DJ got sacked, Ron quit, and Richard has a Rihanna tour. It all just happened today.

Guitars in GNR will now be handled by Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page, and Eric Clapton

You know what is funny? Some people that never heard much of their work would all of sudden claim that they are some of the greatest ever (which they are), and some would bash them saying that they dont have Slash's classical feel and attitude. :lol:

VC has an amazing pedigree and obviously only an utter idiot would prefer dj to him in any band in the entire history of the world (spinal tap excluded).

Plus he knocked out Danzig in a backstage brawl once, prompting a pathetic fax to kerrang from the evil elvis that only made everyone more certain it had gone down that way!