Hey guys, checkout my groundbreaking idea to promote my band's image

zabrak999

I have an innovative idea to promote my band's image, something that I don't think has been done before....

You know, you look at these bands:

Metallica's shtick: being a popular band on the radio that played good Metal

Guns n Roses' shtick: being a popular band that had a bad boy image

Nirvana's shtick: bringing back non-pretentious music back to the mainstream

Radiohead's shtick: bringing art-rock back to the mainstream And so on and so forth... ...

Well, why not take advantage of these global uprisings and political/cultural unrest, and have my band's image be centered around channeling that? In other words, the band would be marketed in a way that would help people channel their political/cultural frustrations (could be a Colombian fed up with inequality to a European fed up with forced multiculturalism, to an American fed up with big money politics etc). This would be done by the band eventually creating a gigantic political website/app/etc that’ll serve as the largest political hub in the world.

The website/app will have an array of features that’ll get average citizens to finally put their communities into their own hands, by helping them change local laws at an unprecedented level I mean as far as I know, this hasn't been done before on a major scale. Ever. It'd be a very 21st century style of a band, where it's connected with everybody in an unprecedented way, and my band would be at the forefront of this movement.

What are you initial thoughts of this?

It has been done before...The Sex Pistols, for example...of course, they didn't have all the technology, etc....but long story short, that was their basic idea....

But hey, if you think you can take it a step further....go for it.

You might want to go to SXSW and get some ideas because you have a mix of music, politics and technology all in one place, and you can see what's out there, while you're thinking of the direction you want to take your band in. It also takes everyone in the band to agree with your politics. To me taking on clean water and feeding hungry kids is politically neutral but something everyone seems to care about.

The audience wants to be entertained and not have to think about the world's problems, they have plenty of their own to deal with.

Alot of people don't like politics thrown in their face. I guess most fans listen to music because it allows them to 'escape' for awhile. So, while using your music as a platform to express some of your political ideas, it turn you might turn off potential fans at the same time.

My two cents....

I have an innovative idea to promote my band's image, something that I don't think has been done before....

Radiohead's shtick: bringing art-rock back to the mainstream And so on and so forth... ...

Well, why not take advantage of these global uprisings and political/cultural unrest, and have my band's image be centered around channeling that? In other words, the band would be marketed in a way that would help people channel their political/cultural frustrations (could be a Colombian fed up with inequality to a European fed up with forced multiculturalism, to an American fed up with big money politics etc). This would be done by the band eventually creating a gigantic political website/app/etc that’ll serve as the largest political hub in the world.

The website/app will have an array of features that’ll get average citizens to finally put their communities into their own hands, by helping them change local laws at an unprecedented level I mean as far as I know, this hasn't been done before on a major scale. Ever. It'd be a very 21st century style of a band, where it's connected with everybody in an unprecedented way, and my band would be at the forefront of this movement.

*U2 gives you a hug*

*U2 gives you a hug*

:lol: Was going to bring up U2 also.

*U2 gives you a hug*

:lol: Was going to bring up U2 also.

I brought it up first. Don't make me mad like the guy who invented the replacement of the replacement joke. :max:

Alot of people don't like politics thrown in their face. I guess most fans listen to music because it allows them to 'escape' for awhile. So, while using your music as a platform to express some of your political ideas, it turn you might turn off potential fans at the same time.

My two cents....

Good point, I have never been able to like RATM because of that, and the fact they were (are?) signed to SONY sort of made it all a bit hypocritical.

• Like 1

My two cents....

Good point, I have never been able to like RATM because of that, and the fact they were (are?) signed to SONY sort of made it all a bit hypocritical.

Yeah. For some reason I give Rage a pass though. Maybe its because all of their songs have a political agenda behind them. Or that they did that from the beginning. Plus during the 90's music needed a band like them, considering what was happening in music and pop culture etc...

I was kinda thinking of bands like Green Day. Out of no where they release an album about how they hate George Bush. Now they act like they are some kind of anti Republican bullshit. Idk, it didn't seem to fit their prior doings. Unless that was the point, but I really dislike them now.

Man, I remember in my old band days running to so many bands that were about this or about that. But few of them ever seemed about writing and performing good to great music. Start with the music first. If your instinct is to be a great band, be a great band. Energy and efforts to create a socially conscious movement or an iPhone app are worthwhile endeavours, but you'll never be a successful band if they are your primary focus. Those bands you listed, they were all unbelievable at being musicians. Everything else is a distraction until you sell your first million records (or get 100 million youtube hits, or whatever).