We need a cricket thread here

DieselDaisy

@spunko12345

Championship cricket returns to Newport

1543394048_newport-social.jpg

County Championship cricket will return to Newport after an absence of 54 years with Glamorgan playing Gloucestershire at Spytty Park in a four-day contest starting on May 14th.

With preparations in full swing ahead of the ICC 2019 World Cup matches at Sophia Gardens, Glamorgan have allocated their Championship match in mid-May against Gloucestershire to Spytty Park.

The West Country side will be very appropriate opponents as in 1939 at Rodney Parade -  Glamorgan’s previous ground in Newport -  Wally Hammond, the great England batsman scored 302 against the Welsh county before Emrys Davies, the legendary Glamorgan opener, replied with an unbeaten 287 to save the game for his side.

This match in 1939 was one of 27 first-class matches which Glamorgan staged at Rodney Parade between July 1935 and May 1965. It followed Glamorgan’s merger with Monmouthshire during 1934 with other grounds such as Ebbw Vale and Abergavenny also being subsequently added to the Welsh county’s fixture list.

Spytty Park ground has already hosted plenty of Glamorgan 2nd XI and Wales Minor County fixtures as well as the List A game during July 2016 against Pakistan A but the game with Gloucestershire in mid-May will be the inaugural first-class fixture at the well-appointed ground.

https://www.glamorgancricket.com/cricket/news/2018/november/championship-cricket-returns-to-newport.html

• Like 1

Bairstow just twatted one so far it hit the air conditioning unit on the roof the stand. They've gotta select a new ball now cos they can't find it 😄 

Whoops. next ball. there it goes again haha into the crowd this time go on Johnny you stocky ginger bastard.

9 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Afghanistan beat Pakistan by 3 wickets in a warm-up!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/scorecard/ECKO45728

Yeah I watched that it was an entertaining finish. With 3 overs to go and Afghans needing about a run a ball to win, both teams seemed determined to find a way to lose the match. Ultimately Afghanistan played fractionally less shit. To be fair they did bat pretty well for the first 20 overs.

3 hours ago, spunko12345 said:

World cup favourites my arse.

I have said this for a long time. 

They always lose every 4th or so game which of course simply won't win you a knock-out competition. It is only a year ago they were beaten by Scotland at The Grange. 

They are a bit one-geared and naive, wonderful attacking Twenty20 style batting when the wicket is true and produces 350+ runs, but when the wicket is a bit used and gives out lower totals they don't know what to do. Witness their defeat to Pakistan in the Champions Trophy last year.

Australia have been my favourites to win. You see the Aussies are a bit like the Germans in football. They might be shite even before the competition in meaningless bilaterals but they always turn it on for the occasion that actually matters, i.e., the world cup.

Edited by DieselDaisy

17 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Pakies 105 all out (v WI)!!

I would still not outrule them winning the entire thing though haha, such is the mercurial nature of Pakistan cricket.

Whats the deal with Pakistan, are they just really really shit or something?