We need a cricket thread here

DieselDaisy

3 minutes ago, spunko12345 said:

None of the can bat properly though can they? England are crying out for an opener. The fact that Cooke is still alive and healthy but refuses to be England's opener should bring shame on him and his family for generations to come.

Retired internationally, but you can watch him for Essex where he is doing very well as to be expected. 

The whole upper order are garbage. Roy is a white ball opener, who usually plays at four or five on the rare occasions he plays first-class cricket for Surrey. Still not convinced about Denly; his 50 guarantees he plays but he needs to score bigger than pretty little fifties, which is basically what Vince did. Burns has runs in the bank but I am not completely convinced. Root at 3 experiment doesn't seem to be working.

Leach is a better batsman than most of the batsman!

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, spunko12345 said:

It was a slow lingering death all day. Cooke should be ashamed of himself for not being arsed to continue while he was still capable and England struggled so badly to replace him. Is it ego? laziness? or what?

You have to remember that he was in decline for ages: never really reached that peak he achieved c.2010-12 to be honest. The problem is a dearth of English openers, so that when Strauss retired in 2012 we never replaced him, and Cook retiring in 2018 basically doubles the problem. But you'd desire, if not Cook certainly a ''Cook'' style player now. Playing white-ball merchants such as Roy is never going to work. It was very different c.2009-2012 when England had an unbelievably stodgy top-order (Cook, Strauss, Trott). This was the problem when Cook was still batting, but as I said it has become worse now,

1148225_900x2200.png&w=570&format=jpg

Burns has looked alright though. Probably the only good thing about the whole top order - Root only averaging about 30. 

Cook still plays for Essex though where he is averaging 43.65 which you might say is quite moderate considering he is dropping from test attacks to county attacks. Essex could win the championship this year - it is either them or Somerset - so that will be great for Cook. 

Edited by DieselDaisy

Was at Lord's for a county match and used my membership to get in the pavilion with the poshers. Sat in the Long Room - and all over; you need a suit to pass the rigorous dress code. Also saw the museum with the Ashes Urn. And we won, on day 3 nonetheless, so did a bit of tourism on Friday and Saturday. 

The Long Room, the most famous room in cricket,

70855808_10211321395188982_2835395430085

Edited by DieselDaisy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Dazey said:

At least Kevin Peterson looks good in green. :lol: 

They missed a definite trick there, although he is retired but I'm sure a wad of cash would have persuaded him to make a comeback.

It is good to see the ECB are committed to promoting healthy eating among children. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

There is a game on at the moment where an outfit called the Falcon Hunters are taking on the Heat Stormers in a ten over match. Seriously where is the appetite for this shite? It is a terrible thing to watch must be even worse live. Go all the way to the ground, find somewhere to sit, duck out of the way of a few 6's and it's all over, finished. Why not just have a zero overs match and toss a coin.

On 17/10/2019 at 5:16 PM, DieselDaisy said:

EHFd7BgX0AIS9DW?format=jpg&name=medium

Terrible technique.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, spunko12345 said:

There is a game on at the moment where an outfit called the Falcon Hunters are taking on the Heat Stormers in a ten over match. Seriously where is the appetite for this shite? It is a terrible thing to watch must be even worse live. Go all the way to the ground, find somewhere to sit, duck out of the way of a few 6's and it's all over, finished. Why not just have a zero overs match and toss a coin.

You'll have The Hundred next year. Players dressed as crisp packets playing some Frankenstein monster of a concept.

• 1 month later...

@DieselDaisy Have you ever done one of those tours around Lords? I've just watched a programme about MCC where Michael Atherton was walking through and talking about all the portraits of ex players on display in the Long room. There's a massive one of Viv Richards which is awesome. I'm gonna book up and take a birthday trip in April.

59 minutes ago, spunko12345 said:

@DieselDaisy Have you ever done one of those tours around Lords? I've just watched a programme about MCC where Michael Atherton was walking through and talking about all the portraits of ex players on display in the Long room. There's a massive one of Viv Richards which is awesome. I'm gonna book up and take a birthday trip in April.

This is going to sound smug but I have done much better than that. 2019 I had access to the entire pavilion for a four day county game (game was finished in three days though, Durham won). I sat in the Long Room, where the players walk through. I sat on the terrace outside. I drank in the  bar. Looked at the portraits. Used the bog haha (poshest men's toilet I have ever seen).

Members of county cricket clubs have access to away pavilions, so when Durham play Middlesex I can get in. I had to wear a suit and tie.

I am doing the exact same thing 2020. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

This is going to sound smug but I have done much better than that. 2019 I had access to the entire pavilion for a four day county game (game was finished in three days though, Durham won). I sat in the Long Room, where the players walk through. I sat on the terrace outside. I drank in the  bar. Looked at the portraits. Used the bog haha (poshest men's toilet I have ever seen).

Members of county cricket clubs have access to away pavilions, so when Durham play Middlesex I can get in. I had to wear a suit and tie.

I am doing the exact same thing 2020. 

Sounds great, did you bump into Mick Jagger?😄

The tour...

Don't book when there is a game on - any game - as you won't be able to access the Pavilion. I kept seeing the tour groups in the stand but they weren't allowed in the pavilion where we were, however I believe you can even enter the dressing rooms when there isn't a game on. The tour is basically pointless when there is a game on, but superb when there isn't as you get to see the pavilion. 

I think the museum is included in the tour. The museum is behind the pavilion and includes the original Ashes urn. I had to pay £4 to go in there.

I would have suggested taking a Glamorgan membership out and putting on a tie like I did, but I see Middlesex v Glamorgan is at Merchant Taylors!! Middlesex is the only fixture where outgrounds are not desired as every away supporter wants to go to Lord's.

There is some posh totty in that pavilion. All these old rich buggers have a bit of young crumpet on their arm.

1 minute ago, spunko12345 said:

Sounds great, did you bump into Mick Jagger?😄

I think he just turns up for test matches.

The entire pavilion is like a gentlemen's club, wainscotted (very British), with different elegant rooms in wood. Everything is classy beyond belief. This is posh beyond posh. There are a lot of rules and regulations though, with these stewards in white blazers over seeing everything. The portraits are all there. The players walk from the dressing gown down these sumptuous staircases, enter the Long Room and through the famous doors. They are just all around you, walking behind you on the stairs with their bat.

Those video clips will show they go through the door, down the stairs and out through the famous gate onto the pitch. It is the most famous walk in cricket. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

There is a pub outside the Grace Gate (anyone can enter) called the Lord's Taverners. Very famous crickety pub. Make sure you get a pint there. When I was there the Durham lads all came in fresh from their victory for a knees up. 

I'll definately be having a few in there.

12 hours ago, spunko12345 said:

I'll definately be having a few in there.

Middlesex home fixtures for April,

Middlesex v Worcestershire, 12th-15th April

Middlesex v Derbyshire, 25th-28th April

Avoid these dates for the tour. Unless of course you want to watch a day of cricket. Bloody freezing mind, cricket in April.

Lord's incidentally is nowhere near a Tube station. It is a 15 mins hike from St John's Wood, and probably just as long from Baker St. Best get off at St John's Wood tube and hop on a bus to the bottom of the road with the Oyster card. This is what I will do next time.