The job hunting thread

GivenToFly

My interview went perfectly, but he told me that there's one other guy he thought he'd be offering the role to. I am better skilled and have more experience than him. The other guy gets a second interview on Friday, and depending on how that goes, I'll hear if I get another interview or not.

It's a shame, there's nothing I could have done to be first in line.

Other than the two of us, all the other applicants just got phone interviews. I've been doing this so long, where it's always the same story; interviewers always say how impressed they are, and tell me that I'm far better than other applicants, and then something happens so the job goes to the other guy or doesn't exist anymore.

So odd. Did you ask him why he'd be offering the job to the other guy if you were the better choice overall? Seems so weird.

Anyway, I hope he sucks on Friday and you get the job after all :)

• Like 1

Thanks Lio!

I didn't ask what he preferred about the other guy, I will do on Friday though. It can often be a personality thing (which is the worst aspect of interviews because you can't change personality to suit someone else).

Nor should you have to. Ultimately if they don't believe you will fit their culture, would you prefer they ignored their gut feeling and you started work in an environment that was completely unsuitable for your morals and social qualities?

You'd end up very unhappy, and that's the positive to look at - you've probably avoided a job you'll end up hating.

Thanks Lio!

I didn't ask what he preferred about the other guy, I will do on Friday though. It can often be a personality thing (which is the worst aspect of interviews because you can't change personality to suit someone else).

It's basically a test of how good of an actor you are.

Thanks Lio!

It's basically a test of how good of an actor you are.

I can't even pretend to be somebody else on an Internet forum.

My interview went perfectly, but he told me that there's one other guy he thought he'd be offering the role to. I am better skilled and have more experience than him. The other guy gets a second interview on Friday, and depending on how that goes, I'll hear if I get another interview or not.

Other than the two of us, all the other applicants just got phone interviews. I've been doing this so long, where it's always the same story; interviewers always say how impressed they are, and tell me that I'm far better than other applicants, and then something happens so the job goes to the other guy or doesn't exist anymore.

It's odd they would tell you that you were more skilled and had more experience than the other candidate. Seems like that would open them up for lawsuits.

Maybe it's different where you are. But in the US we aren't allowed to tell applicants information like that about other candidates we are interviewing.

Don't stress if you don't get it. You are very talented and will find a fantastic job that fits your skills perfectly before you know it.

Thanks Lio!

Nor should you have to. Ultimately if they don't believe you will fit their culture, would you prefer they ignored their gut feeling and you started work in an environment that was completely unsuitable for your morals and social qualities?

You'd end up very unhappy, and that's the positive to look at - you've probably avoided a job you'll end up hating.

I've never once been told my personality wouldn't fit in the company. Likewise I've never applied for a job where I felt the company would be unsuitable for my morals and social qualities. I wonder what strange personality you have, Gracii :lol: Just kidding, but I don't believe that's common here, that you don't get a job because your personality doesn't fit. Is it even possible to assess that so quickly, after one interview?

That said, I've been selfemployed for a few years now :shrugs:

Either way, it does suck if you don't get the job for personality reasons. I feel like it's kind of a cop out too. It doesn't really help you and there's really not a lot you can say to that.

I make a stupid amount of money training people to take the state exam to get licensed in Health and Accident insurance, companies are desperate for agents because they need people with a license to talk about and sell Affordable Care Act plans and Medicare. Starting as early as March you see adverts for free classes. A big national company for it is PeopleShare, but tons of staffing agencies do this. The upside is if you actually want to work and work hard, companies find a place for you to keep you year round, the downside is they will keep you from August through December even if you don't do shit, but they will lay you off.

People hear insurance and tune out, but it changed my life. it's 60% of the money I make in a year and it isn't my full time job, I only spoke with customers for about 8 months before I was promoted out of an agent position, people fail to realize insurance companies have all the same jobs you did before, HR, PR, management, IT etc. This just gets your foot in the door. Getting a license does not equate to knocking on doors and asking people if they think they have enough insurance.

I make enough money from teaching it that I almost feel guilty, and I speak at retirement homes and community centers for free, with no company affiliation just to help people understand Medicare. Like I don't have a company affiliation, the teaching is done through a staffing agency, and my regular job is not in insurance anymore. So it's not the gimmicky "Free seminar" where you get steered to a company, I really don't give a shit who they choose, just that they know HOW to chose.

And yes, for all you young head bangers out there, this WILL be you one day. Growing up is a bitch.

It's an automatic job if you're really desperate, and the season is such that some may still be offering classes to get the license. Worth looking into if you are on hard times.

PS. They don't give a shit if you are old, just have to be at least 18. It's a GREAT way to get back into the workplace after a big resume gap too.

Edited by DeadSlash

It's odd they would tell you that you were more skilled and had more experience than the other candidate. Seems like that would open them up for lawsuits.

Maybe it's different where you are. But in the US we aren't allowed to tell applicants information like that about other candidates we are interviewing.

Don't stress if you don't get it. You are very talented and will find a fantastic job that fits your skills perfectly before you know it.

What I got from her post is that they only told her they'd like to offer the job to the other guy and it was her who judged herself to be more skilled and experienced.

That's a real common thing, I think. When I was looking to move to a new full time position, I thought my company was sabotaging me somehow, I'd "Really impress" be "getting an offer this week" and "Have the job but it's a formality, we need to interview this other person" and I would never hear from them again. I called of course, and got a lot of "We decided not to fill the position" excuses and 2, yes TWO places that told me "I had the job" asked me not to call anymore with no explanation. How do you go from "Starting Thursday" to "Please do not call us again." I was on the verge of hiring one of those companies that investigates if your employer is bad mouthing you, and got lucky because someone at a major company I knew threw me a rope.

I did find out they were screwing me, because I was "officially" a consultant as a 1099, they would say "He is not employed by us." with no further explanation to the company calling. Made it sound like I didn't work there at all, but it was just word play. I only found that out when I started poaching good talent we could pay more. That was how they handled another 1099.

I had another good friend there, a mentor who was getting the same thing. She only got out because of a friend who worked with her years ago and never even called.

It's a fucked up market.

If any of you guys are near Fort Washington PA, PM me. I'll see if I can do anything for you.

PS. There are no background things that resulted in the "please don't call" episodes. I teach insurance in several states, I've passed background checks in 40 states and an FBI background check.

Edited by DeadSlash

Hmmm... that's really messed up. I'm glad that you found a new job. Made me think. I was open with my last employer that I was looking to relocate, as I had gotten engaged and I thought that there was no point pretending I was committed to the company when my fiancé was 60 miles away. I usually didn't tell them when I had interviews, but occasionally had to justify why I wanted the day off on a deadline week- which was NEVER permitted.

I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt, as most job offers come with the condition that references supplied later will be positive, so it's likely my old boss was never contacted. But my old boss loved to think that he owned his staff.

This year alone, that company lost 5 members off staff, all because we'd just had enough. There was only 10 on the payroll anyway.

Didn't get the job I was interviewed for last week. The job where they told me I was better skilled and more experienced than the man who was offered the role.

I have asked for detailed feedback, as I'm wondering exactly where I let myself down. I can't help but wonder if it's because I'm not a man.

Didn't get the magazine job in Newcastle. Have asked for feedback.

Aside from having worked for another magazine for years, and even started my own magazine, I wonder what else I could have done to prove to them that I can design magazines.

This wouldn't be all so bad if I now wasn't worrying if we have enough money to buy groceries all the time.

Why not just get a shitty part-time job in retail or something? Not being able to afford groceries must suck.

Well, I have a casual job at an escape room, though the hours aren't guaranteed. Some weeks I'll work 10 hours, other weeks, I'll work 0. I also have a cleaning job for 2 hours a week. I am freelancing, but the clients normally have up to a month to pay their invoice, and my main client doesn't pay me for six weeks after my work is published. So I have something, but its not really guaranteed. So far we're managing, but we will be having to take money from our savings to get us through next week. I don't want to get a full-time job in retail (or similar) because that will leave me hardly any time to look for jobs or freelance.

Sorry to hear that Grace, I was hoping you were posting to say you'd got a job...

Cheers Chris. The continuous rejections are really having an impact on my self-esteem now.

At this stage, I am seriously considering retraining for a more stable job. Though there's nothing I particularly want to do other than design (and I'm not good at much either). And we don't really have the money to pay for training. If anyone has any ideas?

Thanks guys,

G