Spanking!

Dazey

When your kid is smoking and dealing ice, abusive to you and your wife, gets a couple of 14 year olds pregnant and is arrested after crashing your (stolen) car into a towtruck at 16 good luck having a D&M chat to explain how they are hurting your feelings.

There have never been conflicting studies, nor studies that have misrepresented the issue or gotten it wrong, so obviously debate over. :lol:

As long as the great majority of studies indicate a positive correlation between parents hitting their kids and later development of violent and anti-social behaviour, then it is directly irresponsible of informed parents to neglect this and continue to hit their kids.

Read this and the references at the bottom: http://www.ahaparenting.com/parenting-tools/positive-discipline/should-I-spank-my-child

Guest Len B'stard

Well OK, so then back in the day when spanking was normal and most everybody got it how come all the people of those generations and times werent violent anti-social nutbags?

When your kid is smoking and dealing ice, abusive to you and your wife, gets a couple of 14 year olds pregnant and is arrested after crashing your (stolen) car into a towtruck at 16 good luck having a D&M chat to explain how they are hurting your feelings.

If this happened chances are you have already failed as a parent :shrugs:

Besides, parenting isn't about how to punish your kids when they commit crimes, it is about raising them so they know right from wrong and are good human beings and have good lives. It is the step before what your listed.

Well OK, so then back in the day when spanking was normal and most everybody got it how come all the people of those generations and times werent violent anti-social nutbags?

Are you saying they weren't more violent and antisocial than today's generations that grow up un-spanked? How would you even know that? :D

There have never been conflicting studies, nor studies that have misrepresented the issue or gotten it wrong, so obviously debate over. :lol:

As long as the great majority of studies indicate a positive correlation between parents hitting their kids and later development of violent and anti-social behaviour, then it is directly irresponsible of informed parents to neglect this and continue to hit their kids.

Read this and the references at the bottom: http://www.ahaparenting.com/parenting-tools/positive-discipline/should-I-spank-my-child

So basically someone wrote a poorly argued glorified blog post, said 98% of people agree with her at the bottom, and listed a couple books. What am I missing that is supposed to convince me?

Besides, parenting isn't about how to punish your kids when they commit crimes, it is about raising them so they know right from wrong and are good human beings and have good lives. It is the step before what your listed.

Big fucking consolation that is mate...spoiled little shits don't fucking care how you raised them you old cunt.

Guest Len B'stard

Are you saying they weren't more violent and antisocial than today's generations that grow up un-spanked? How would you even know that? :D

No Im saying folks were just folks back then just as they are now, with the good and the bad and spanking had no bearing one way or the other.

So basically someone wrote a poorly argued glorified blog post, said 98% of people agree with her at the bottom, and listed a couple books. What am I missing that is supposed to convince me?

Err, those weren't books but peer-reviewed meta-studies ;). It means that the scientists behind the studies have reviewed the complete scientific body on the subject before summarizing the conclusions.

No Im saying folks were just folks back then just as they are now, with the good and the bad and spanking had no bearing one way or the other.

Why are you saying this when I have hooked you up with scientific evidence that says that spanking is positively correlated with increased violence? Are you aware that you are deliberately ignoring evidence so you won't have to change your views on physical punishment on kids?

at least we can see domestic violence was much more common and even "normal" back then

• Like 1

It's very hard to properly compare violence rates of today with earlier times, we simply don't have enough rigorous data to do that. But that really isn't necessary either to study the effects of spanking. We can much more easily compare violence among people living today who were either subjected to corporal punishment as kids or who were not subjected to corporal punishment. And in most studies the conclusions are that parents punishing their kids with violence causes an increase in probability of those kids developing anti-social traits and violent natures themselves (including the probability of they using violence against their spouses and own kids).

Guest Len B'stard
Why are you saying this when I have hooked you up with scientific evidence that says that spanking is positively correlated with increased violence? Are you aware that you are deliberately ignoring evidence so you won't have to change your views on physical punishment on kids?

Scientific evidence my arse, thats not scientific evidence, thats a bunch of census statistic bullshit, scientific, please :lol:

Edited by sugaraylen
  • Like 2

Guest Len B'stard

Scientific evidence is like...i dunno, if you mix this chemical with that chemical the shit'll blow up, thats scientific evidence, stuff that proves stuff for a fact, not what studies suggest or however many people out of a group were surveyed and the results suggest 'x', that ain't scientific evidence. I clicked that link and read the shit in it, i dunno what a meta study is but i read that thing you posted a link to, yes.

Edited by sugaraylen

Scientific evidence is like...i dunno, if you mix this chemical with that chemical the shit'll blow up, thats scientific evidence, stuff that proves stuff for a fact, not what studies suggest or however many people out of a group were surveyed and the results suggest 'x', that ain't scientific evidence.

:D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_evidence

Scientific studies or something being against the law doesn't help you when you are getting your head kicked in.

It's probably against the law for people to abuse me for walking up the street with dicks drawn on my face and a fuck Jesus sign but I wouldn't be putting my faith in this imaginary equator to keep all my teeth.

Before we entangle us further, the increase in probability isn't great and most kids who are spanked probably turn out just as okay as anyone else. My point, to bring it back to what I feel is important, is that spanking or other forms of violence towards kids simply aren't necessary and when taking into account the chance of affecting your kids' development I can't fathom why any parent would do it. I believe they either believe not doing it is worse for the kids (which is kind of sweet although, probably, wrong) or because they lose control :shrugs:

It's very hard to properly compare violence rates of today with earlier times, we simply don't have enough rigorous data to do that.

we may lack the statistics, but we still have a common sense. Spanking is a form of corporal punishment, which is a form of domestic violence. From my own observations, from what i've read or my grandparents told me, i can draw the conclusion that domestic violence of any kind is not so common as it used to be, at least where i live. that's why i don't think "folks were just folks back then" and nothing has changed.