Spanking!

Dazey

TeeJay "my kid" LOL.

Haven't you walked out on him like 4 times now?

C'mon dude, don't be bringing people's family into your personal shit

This is something he's spoken of publically on the forums multiple times. I think it's a valid point (as someone already mentioned). I'm not sure if he has the right to hit the kid considering he's not he biological father nor is he married to the mother, and he's left them both in the past.

If he is the kids primary caregiver then he is responsible for raising that kid, and should be allowed to hit the kid if that is a viable/acceptable tool in parenting. The dichotomy that only biological parents should be allowed to hit kids as part of their upbringing, and not step parents and others who are also responsible for the kid, suggests to me that people don't really consider spanking a suitable tool in parenting but that this is something that is okay between close relatives. And that is disgusting. If slapping a kid is okay as a method to teach that kid right and wrong, then everyone who is responsible for raising a kid should be allowed to do it, including non-biological relatives, kindergarden teachers, school teachers, etc.

Again, I don't think hitting your kids is ever necessary. In most cases where it happens (perhaps all) I believe it happens because the parent is at his wits end and don't know what else he could do, or because the anger and frustration gets the better of him. In these cases I think other methods of parenting are better suited than the lesson that violence is acceptable from a physically dominating person towards a frail person who rely on you completely for protection and guidance.

• Like 1

And oh yeah, this thing about 'if it's OK with kids, why isn't it OK with adults?' well it is, if an adult gets in your face enough, hit him, if you feel you are in danger, stand up for yourself. And for the further example of a boss in charge of employees, there's a difference with that example cuz you ain't in charge of raising and bringing up your employees.

I disagree completely with the idea that it is okay to hit other people just because they "get in your face". I find that barbaric and uncivilized. But sure, if you feel you are in danger then you are allowed to protect yourself. But surely as a parent you never feel threatened by your kids, and if you do, this has nothing to do with "parenting" anymore but with domestic violence.

The example of hitting employees was just to point out the absurdity of using violence to modulate behaviour, and modulating behaviour is another word for parenting. In the workplace is it my responsibility of "raising" my employees to function as they should. Regardless of whether the analogy works, my general point is that it is weird that it should be somehow okay to hit your kids when hitting is a crime in almost all other cases in most societies. what is it with the parent-kid relationship that should somehow support the idea that violence is okay, what is it with kids that makes them more suitable recipients for hits than adults? Again, other options are available.

And here is something we haven't talked about so far, the damage from hitting your kid:

To spank or not to spank? Opinions vary wildly on this emotionally-charged subject. But according to a recent review of 20 years of research, spanking can have a long-term, negative impact on child development, reports MSNBC.

The analysis shows that while there are short-term benefits to spanking, there is no link between positive behavior and corporal punishment in the long-run. Instead, a child that is hit is more likely to be aggressive—toward family members or their peers—and exhibit other antisocial behavior. No study has been able to establish positive associations with physical discipline, to date.

Source: http://www.parenting.com/blogs/show-and-tell/elina-parenting/study-spanking-can-lead-aggressive-behavior-children

I couldn't bother finding the primary source but this should suffice. In short, spanking has no positive effect long-run and is correlated with the development of aggression and antisocial behaviour.

So Dazey, don't hit your kid, there are other ways. Hitting your kids is often the easiest solution, but chances are it is the wrong solution.

Guest Len B'stard

Not all kids need a slap mind. And you don't fuckin' hit girls, on any level, just to clear my position up, I meant boys. And not all boys need a slap too. I think it's more about you and the parameters that you set up and the way you behave. If you're kinda like...sensitive to the point of being touchy about stuff that'll project onto your kids and if you hit em they'll probably react very badly to it. I think your children, whether you like it or not, generally tend to be a reflection of your nature on some level and like...based on that I could see how a lot of kids don't need it.

My little niece is a darling, she has this inate sense of morality, of right and wrong, she's so well adjusted and like...well behaved. I mean she's silly and smiley in all the ways a 9 yr old should be but...she's just not naughty, she just ain't like that.

What I notice from being a teacher is that :

- whenever I'm full of energy, extremely calm yet unflappable, kids respect and do everything I tell them

- whenever I'm tired and, thus, a bit irritable, they tend to push things a little too far

I believe that to get respect from kids, you need to inspire both love and fear by being stern yet absolutely unflappable.

Spanking ( or even yelling at them for that matter ) is simply a sign of weakness on your part.

it means you haven't done the job correctly and that your kid's bad behavior has now too much momentum and it's the only way left that you have to put them back in their place.

What I notice from being a teacher is that :

- whenever I'm full of energy, extremely calm yet unflappable, kids respect and do everything I tell them

- whenever I'm tired and, thus, a bit irritable, they tend to push things a little too far

I believe that to get respect from kids, you need to inspire both love and fear by being stern yet absolutely unflappable.

Spanking ( or even yelling at them for that matter ) is simply a sign of weakness on your part.

it means you haven't done the job correctly and that your kid's bad behavior has now too much momentum and it's the only way left that you have to put them back in their place.

I believe you're right, but we're only human, alas. I can confirm I feel lousy each time I yell at my kid. I think it affects me more than her actually. But in my case, it is certainly weakness.

I got a few smacks on the bottom from my Dad as a young child. I remember being eight years old and said something that really upset my Mum, so she gave me a slap across the face. A few months later, I was in school when the subject of being told off by your parents came up, and I said to the teacher and class "my Mum slapped me!". Co-incidentally, Mum was at the other side of the room helping out, so heard this and was embarrassed enough to never slap me again.

Guest Len B'stard

I'd've fuckin' taken you home and given you two for the price of one for that :lol: If i was your mum i mean, not as a bloke. I wonder how the class'd've reacted if she'd've gone 'oh what, fancy another, do ya?' :lol:

I thought this thread was going to be more arousing.

Very disappointed.

tell me about it.

I just dont associate spanking with anything other than sex. Its probably a cultural thing... our parents would rather hit a child black and blue with chapaals and metal rods but i have never heard anyone being spanked. Seems too light :P

I love to spank though :)

Edited by Ketan

Guest Len B'stard

Very disappointed.

tell me about it.

I just dont associate spanking with anything other than sex. Its probably a cultural thing... our parents would rather hit a child black and blue with chapaals and metal rods but i have never heard anyone being spanked. Seems too light :P

Someone knows what I been talking about :lol:

Very disappointed.

tell me about it.

Guest Len B'stard

I'd've fuckin' bashed him up even more just for doing the prank, the little cunt :lol: That was classic, his old man was PISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSED :lol:

• Like 1

I'd've fuckin' bashed him up even more just for doing the prank, the little cunt :lol: That was classic, his old man was PISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSED :lol:

pregnant kar diya?? itni neech harkat... ab se tu mera beta nai hai :P samajh main muh deekhane k layak bhe nai chora :D

Guest Len B'stard

pregnant kar diya?? itni neech harkat... ab se tu mera beta nai hai :P samajh main muh deekhane k layak bhe nai chora :D

Reminded me of Manoj Kumar again 'samaj pur kalank, is seh pehle keh me tera muh tohr duhn, DUFFA HO JAH YAHAN SEH! *cue dramatic music and repetitive close ups* :lol:

• Like 1

Very disappointed.

tell me about it.

Holy shit :lol:

Guest Len B'stard

Are they that stupid that they needed telling that though? :lol:

5 year old kids are generally that "stupid" I think. ;) Or maybe they've been just slapped too much and too hard..

Sorry, i missed the bit where they were 5 :lol: