Type of material on the next GnR studio release (as if)

What type of new material would you prefer?  

59 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Reunion or death.

I will repeat myself over and over again in these threads as long as we keep having the same conversations over and over again. There isn't a market for CD2 or a new album by this line up. It's the truth given the current situation. Would I buy a new album? Yes, but I also realize that TSI would look like and sound like a hit by comparision. Does anyone here remember how dissapointing TSI was upon release? Do we really want an album that makes that album look good? Because that's what we would get. Axl does not have the next Estranged or November Rain in his vaults, the closest we got to those songs are on CD. We will get an album that further demonstrates how far this once mighty band has fallen. I'm talking a VH3 like album. Do we really want that? I for one do not. Would I like to hear the CD leftovers at some point? Yes, but only after Slash, Duff, and perhaps Izzy are back in the band, do a reunion tour, a reunion album, and create some intrest in guns n roses again. Then I say release the vaults in a box set, illusion leftovers and CD leftovers. But first people have to care about gnr again, and a new album by this line up will not do that, CD2 would not do that either.

It is reunion or death now for this band, that is all that we have. It all starts with Duff coming back, I WANT DUFF.

Reunion or death.

I will repeat myself over and over again in these threads as long as we keep having the same conversations over and over again. There isn't a market for CD2 or a new album by this line up. It's the truth given the current situation. Would I buy a new album? Yes, but I also realize that TSI would look like and sound like a hit by comparision. Does anyone here remember how dissapointing TSI was upon release? Do we really want an album that makes that album look good? Because that's what we would get. Axl does not have the next Estranged or November Rain in his vaults, the closest we got to those songs are on CD. We will get an album that further demonstrates how far this once mighty band has fallen. I'm talking a VH3 like album. Do we really want that? I for one do not. Would I like to hear the CD leftovers at some point? Yes, but only after Slash, Duff, and perhaps Izzy are back in the band, do a reunion tour, a reunion album, and create some intrest in guns n roses again. Then I say release the vaults in a box set, illusion leftovers and CD leftovers. But first people have to care about gnr again, and a new album by this line up will not do that, CD2 would not do that either.

It is reunion or death now for this band, that is all that we have. It all starts with Duff coming back, I WANT DUFF.

A reunion and subsequent album would take years to accomplish and by that time they will be 60...will the new reunited band write AFD style songs at that age? Those types of songs sound juvenile now, they will sound ridiculous by 60 year old men.

Edited by Sixes

Only a reunion can save the name of GN'R now. I don't consider what we have now GN'R but you know what I mean.

It's painfully obvious Axl misses Slash and wants him back. He's gone on record saying he couldn't find a worthy replacement for Slash, so why not grow some balls, get rid of the adolescent-level hatred and give the man a call. Guaranteed this is the only way the once great name of Guns N' Roses can be saved.

I voted old material reworked since there is no chance Axl contemplates releasing it with guys who ditched him only featuring on it, who are long gone. He even had BBF replace Brian fucking May's solos so I'm sure the other guys could do it no probs using what solos Axl liked as bases to play off. Heck, BH needs to be heard on anything but I don't see Axl keeping anything of his on there after such a long absence. It makes me cringe to think of something of Ashba's replacing any but if it's a means to an end and the guy is capable of a solo or two, shame it'll be about nine. Don't know if Fortus will get any, maybe a bone or two. The riffs wouldn't need changing unless the guys have anything to offer constructively, which they better do, this being a solid band for years and all. I wouldn't like to hear it exactly as it was since that times gone and it'll make me pissed it was just withheld rather than the current band actually be productive and ambitious regarding supposed mythical material.

This is all hypothetical as we don't know how many songs are leftover.

In addition, I'd welcome 5 or so tracks done by the current band, with BH and Finck doing the solos, just for the full circle good vibes.

Reunion or death.

A reunion and subsequent album would take years to accomplish and by that time they will be 60...will the new reunited band write AFD style songs at that age? Those types of songs sound juvenile now, they will sound ridiculous by 60 year old men.

Not if they took the VH type approach. Redo some of the better old leftovers, let Axl bring a couple of his songs, Slash bring a couple of songs, etc. I think it could be done if they really wanted. But I think they should tour first, just to make some money, get fans interested again, and make sure everyone can still get along. If you make it through the tour, then talk album. Just like VH did back in 07'.

Besides, what else is there at this point? Even if Axl tried to do an album with the current line up, it would take forever. Perhap's release the CD leftovers as a tide over type thing, but there is clearly a reason we haven't recieved that 2nd album yet. I'm betting the record company doesn't believe in it.

Don't get me wrong, I like the current line up and all, I actually wouldn't mind if BBF stayed on just to play the CD solos live. I have a fair amount of faith that this line up would create pretty good rock music, but to our knowledge they have not recorded a single song as a band. But if they did, I would buy it and probably like a fair amount of it. But CD leftovers, I don't feel so strongly about those. I like CD, but the only gnr album that it is better than is TSI. All the classic albums (gnr lies included) are just magic. I just don't see a sequel to CD being (even as good) as the original, do you?

Edited by Mike420

Reunion or death.

Not if they took the VH type approach. Redo some of the better old leftovers, let Axl bring a couple of his songs, Slash bring a couple of songs, etc. I think it could be done if they really wanted. But I think they should tour first, just to make some money, get fans interested again, and make sure everyone can still get along. If you make it through the tour, then talk album. Just like VH did back in 07'.

Besides, what else is there at this point? Even if Axl tried to do an album with the current line up, it would take forever. Perhap's release the CD leftovers as a tide over type thing, but there is clearly a reason we haven't recieved that 2nd album yet. I'm betting the record company doesn't believe in it.

I wouldn't mind hearing leftovers from any period but UYI had tons of filler...what could be leftover that's of quality? We've heard Ain't Going Down, Bring It Back Home, etc...and frankly, they're not very good. They're fine as leftovers and curiosities but they were left off for good reason.

I am of the opinion that the ship has sailed and really have no interest in a reunion. I look forward to any music project any alumni or current members release. But I don't think a reunion would or could live up to expectations.

I personally really liked Bring it back home, I also really liked It tastes good. I think both songs could have and would have worked out well if they had been released in 1996. That album also would have had This I love, Fall to pieces, and more. It would have been a pretty solid album imo, but c'est la've.

Bringing Duff back into the band for those shows really reminded me what's missing. Axl doesn't have to do a full blown reunion imo, just get Slash and Duff back in this band. Izzy can be the on again off again silent member, Dizzy, and fortus or BBF can be in it also. I don't really care who plays drums tbh. Just having Duff back made them look and feel more like Guns n' Roses again. That's the first time I have felt that way in a long time. Everything post 2000 is NUgnr or just gnr to me, Duff and Axl together actually felt like Guns n' Roses some what. That's the band I fell in love with, that's the band that made some of the best rock music in history, that's Guns n' fucking Roses. I want to see THOSE guys again.

I am going to see Aerosmith with Slash opening later this summer, and I am not going for Slash. Sure I'm glad that I get to see him and all, but I could really care less about his solo stuff. Seeing Myles sing gnr and vr songs really doesn't do much for me either, it actually kinda pisses me off tbh. (especially the gnr songs). My wife and I are going to see aerosmith, she has never seen them before, and it's been 15 years or so since I've seen them. But I am actually excited to see them, there is a band that stuck it out. They deserve my hard earned money to go see live, Slash and NUgnr though? No not really. Now a reunion on the other hand, I'll preorder my tixs now.

• Like 1

I personally really liked Bring it back home, I also really liked It tastes good. I think both songs could have and would have worked out well if they had been released in 1996. That album also would have had This I love, Fall to pieces, and more. It would have been a pretty solid album imo, but c'est la've.

Bringing Duff back into the band for those shows really reminded me what's missing. Axl doesn't have to do a full blown reunion imo, just get Slash and Duff back in this band. Izzy can be the on again off again silent member, Dizzy, and fortus or BBF can be in it also. I don't really care who plays drums tbh. Just having Duff back made them look and feel more like Guns n' Roses again. That's the first time I have felt that way in a long time. Everything post 2000 is NUgnr or just gnr to me, Duff and Axl together actually felt like Guns n' Roses some what. That's the band I fell in love with, that's the band that made some of the best rock music in history, that's Guns n' fucking Roses. I want to see THOSE guys again.

I am going to see Aerosmith with Slash opening later this summer, and I am not going for Slash. Sure I'm glad that I get to see him and all, but I could really care less about his solo stuff. Seeing Myles sing gnr and vr songs really doesn't do much for me either, it actually kinda pisses me off tbh. (especially the gnr songs). My wife and I are going to see aerosmith, she has never seen them before, and it's been 15 years or so since I've seen them. But I am actually excited to see them, there is a band that stuck it out. They deserve my hard earned money to go see live, Slash and NUgnr though? No not really. Now a reunion on the other hand, I'll preorder my tixs now.

That's the band that I became a fan of too way back when..but I don't think they can just turn on the "magic" again, just like that. They are 20 years apart, totally different people. Too much bad blood as well. I just can't see a new album from them being any good. What do they write about? How much they hate each other?

And if they just reunited to tour with no album? No way am I interested in that. Not one bit.

Crash Diet, Bring it Back Home and Ain't Going Down are all much better than Shotgun Blues, My World and Get In The Ring - perhaps even, Bad Apples (which I like by the way). Sentimental Movie, while not a great song, would make decent filler if they get stuck. There is enough there to at least instigate some recording sessions.

• Like 1

Crash Diet, Bring it Back Home and Ain't Going Down are all much better than Shotgun Blues, My World and Get In The Ring - perhaps even, Bad Apples (which I like by the way). Sentimental Movie, while not a great song, would make decent filler if they get stuck. There is enough there to at least instigate some recording sessions.

Agreed. These songs would make great starting points for a reunion album. Plus maybe they dig back into their seperate archives and rework some songs. When Joe Perry went back to aerosmith they rerecorded Let the music do the talking as an aerosmith song (which originally it was a Joe Perry solo song). I for one wouldn't mind if Fall to pieces, Beggers and Hangers on, and This I love were rerecorded for a reunion album (since they should have been classic guns songs anyways).

But beyond all the old stuff, just getting the main classic writers together again would spark at least a couple of new things I'm sure. Just by jamming I bet they would write a couple of new songs. Having the old demos as starting point would help them get going. I just feel very strongly that an reunion album could happen, fairly quicky at that. Of course axl would have to be willing to let some of his perfectionism go, because they could not wait 5 years for it. If they did a reunion tour say next year, they need an album by 2016. It could be done, and wouldn't be that difficult imo.

As I said, the UYI are full of filler and the songs left off are also filler material, regardless if they are "better" than the filler already released.

If GNR came out with an album with Bring it Back Home and Just Another Sunday on it next year, instead of putting it in the rock section, it should be labeled comedy

As I said, the UYI are full of filler and the songs left off are also filler material, regardless if they are "better" than the filler already released.

If GNR came out with an album with Bring it Back Home and Just Another Sunday on it next year, instead of putting it in the rock section, it should be labeled comedy

Oh come on man, you are being a little overly critical. I'll give ya just another sunday, that song doesn't do much for me either. But Bring it back home? Really? That song is better than MOST of CD, with the only exceptions imo being TWAT, Sorry, This I love, and Better (I'm honestly on the fence with better). Bring it back home just oozes gnr sleaze and grime, something that CD clearly lacks. It just sounds like Guns n' Roses, which is another element that is lacking from most of CD. I would much rather have that song spit shined and given it's proper day (like what VH did with She's the woman) than get CD leftovers that MIGHT be decent but are probably more crap along the lines of Riad and Scraped. (Which those two songs are imo the worst songs in gnr's discography except for MY World.)

Bring it Back Home is generic 80's blues hard rock with terrible lyrics. It doesn't deserve to ever see the light of day unless they keep the awesome drum machine. Then I'm all for it. #No Trickery

Bring it Back Home is a b-side, at best. And a b-side in 1989, not 2014.

I don't get the fascination with wanting to hear these old songs on a new album. We already have em. With awesome drum machines, to boot!!

Same goes with Oh My God. It's already done. Why would I want to hear it on a new album when a new song could be taking its place?

@Sixes,

I understand where you are coming from, and I know that you like a lot of different music, but do you really think Axl really has anything of real value leftover from the CD sessions? Same goes for the current line up, do you really think they have anything of value left in the tank? Like I have said on multiple occasions, I feel very strongly that any future albums (except for a reunion album) will be of lesser quality than TSI was. I just don't have that much faith in the leftovers, I feel like we have already heard the best that Axl/Bucket/Finck could do together. As far as the current line up goes, they are talented yes, but other than Axl none of them are song writers. I feel very strongly that Axl needs solid colaberations in order to do anything of quality at this point, which unfortunatly I don't think he can get from this line up. I do think CD is better than TSI, but all future releases will fall short of TSI. You being an older fan should be able to understand how disappointing that would be. Quite frankly I'd rather never get another song or album than get one that is crap when compared to the COVERS album.

We have no idea how many songs were made by Bucket and Finck. We know BBF played a solo on Atlas Shrugged but knows nothing about what the song is like since then. Read between those lines regarding the once mythical vault.

*The Bucket/Finck era rather

Edited by RandallFlagg

@Sixes,

I understand where you are coming from, and I know that you like a lot of different music, but do you really think Axl really has anything of real value leftover from the CD sessions? Same goes for the current line up, do you really think they have anything of value left in the tank? Like I have said on multiple occasions, I feel very strongly that any future albums (except for a reunion album) will be of lesser quality than TSI was. I just don't have that much faith in the leftovers, I feel like we have already heard the best that Axl/Bucket/Finck could do together. As far as the current line up goes, they are talented yes, but other than Axl none of them are song writers. I feel very strongly that Axl needs solid colaberations in order to do anything of quality at this point, which unfortunatly I don't think he can get from this line up. I do think CD is better than TSI, but all future releases will fall short of TSI. You being an older fan should be able to understand how disappointing that would be. Quite frankly I'd rather never get another song or album than get one that is crap when compared to the COVERS album.

The only 2 songs I've heard are Silkworms and Going Down. Silkworms sucks and Going Down is ok, but nothing special. I think he has some songs but nowhere near the amount that some think. Maybe he's got an album's worth or so? Whether it's any good or not, I have no idea. You'd think he would have put the best he had on CD. And if he thought the best he had included Scraped and others, then fuck us because those are some shitty tunes.

No idea what this band is capable of as a unit. Only way to find out is for them to write together, and that seems to not be happening.

My feeling on a reunion boils down to this--I'm never content with old music, I always look for something I haven't heard and embrace all forms of new music. Maybe I'm in the minority on that, I don't know, but I know I don't want to hear a retread of their older material. CD might not have been everyone's cup of tea but it was different. It wasn't AFD 2008.

• Like 2

I don't care what it is or when it was recorded - I just desperately want new music from my favorite rock singer of all time.

Why do some of you keep saying there would be no "chemistry" between Axl and Slash?

Slash has released some pretty cool songs over the last decade. Most recently, Anastasia is really, really good.

Axl had enough "chemistry" with Huge, Bucket, Robin to come up with top notch songs like Better, Catcher and Twat.

All these guys are talented musicians - I'm sure Axl/Izzy/Slash and Duff would come up with some pretty great music.

Axl and DJ are best buddies......how has that worked out for us GnR fans?

Axl segregated himself from the rest of the bands during the Illusions recordings. How'd that work out for us GnR fans?

I don't think DJ is going to help Axl write a better quality song than Izzy/Slash and Duff would.

Granted, 'Just Another Sunday' is crap however 'Bring it Back Home' has some serious potential; you already have a great intro, riff and decent lyric. It maybe lacks a middle eight, or some other sort of counter section, but the potential is there on the original demo.

Granted, 'Just Another Sunday' is crap however 'Bring it Back Home' has some serious potential; you already have a great intro, riff and decent lyric. It maybe lacks a middle eight, or some other sort of counter section, but the potential is there on the original demo.

I swear I can hear a bit of that riff in Going Down near the end.