5. Jeff Lynne's ELO - Alone In The Universe

6. Janis Joplin - Cheap Thrills (twice)

7. Patti Smith - Horses (three times)

8. Patti Smith - Radio Ethiopia

9. Billy Squier - Don't Say No

10. The Zombies - Odessey And Oracle

let-it-bleed-600x537.jpg

PS

Oh it is so good!!! I used to be more a SF/Exile chap but this has definitely moved up on my list. It is the darkest sleaziest album of all time. Jagger has this wonderful way at writing oblique sleaze.

I'm a cold Italian pizza
I could use a lemon squeezer

It is rather nonsensical really but I think it is wonderful.

And there's a score of harebrained children
They're all locked in the nursery
They got earphone heads they got dirty necks
They're so 20th century
Well they queue up for the bathroom
Round about 7:35

Don'cha think we need a woman's touch to make it come alive?

It sounds like it should be vaguely menacing but it is difficult to interpret. The song (Live For Me) is almost like a perverse twist on Hitchcock's Rear Window, a cynics look at western domesticity.

And,

She said, "My breasts, they will always be open
Baby, you can rest your weary head right on me

Pure smut. Traditional Jagger territory.

Edited by DieselDaisy

Beggars.

Beggar_Banquet.jpg

Saville has been at the lyrics here,

I hear the click-clack of your feet on the stairs
I know you're no scare-eyed honey.
There'll be a feast if you just come upstairs
But it's no hanging matter
It's no capital crime
I can see that you're fifteen years old
No I don't want your I.D.
And I can see that you're so far from home
It's no capital crime
Oh yeah, you're a strange stray cat
Oh yeah, don'tcha scratch like that
I bet, bet your mama don't know you scream like that
I bet your mother don't know you can spit like that.
You look so weird and you're so far from home
But you don't really miss your mother
Don't look so scared I'm no mad-brained bear
It's no capital crime
Oh, yeah
Woo!
I bet your mama don't know that you scatch like that
I bet she don't know you can bite like that.
You say you got a friend, that she's wilder than you
Why don't you bring her upstairs
If she's so wild then she can join in too

It's no hanging matter
It's no capital crime
Oh yeah, don'tcha scratch like that
I bet you mama don't know you can bite like that
I'll bet she never saw you scratch my back

Jagger can be as cynical and biting as Lennon. He used this line when describing the working classes in ''Salt of the Earth'',

A choice of cancer or polio

It is a brave song. Jagger does not simply pretend he is working class like John Lennon, but admits he feels dislocated from them. In actual fact in some ways lines like ''And when I search a faceless crowd; A swirling mass of grey and black and white; They don't look real to me; In fact, they look so strange'' could just as apply to his own middle class background. Mick Jagger, as an international rock star, is admitting he cannot relate to the vast majority any more, the populous, the commons. As I said, a brave song - especially if you have witnessed the era of the 'mockney celebrity'. And again, it demonstrates Mick Jagger is a criminally underrated lyricist.

PS,

South_Saturn_Delta.jpg

220px-BBC_Sessions.jpg

Edited by DieselDaisy

let-it-bleed-600x537.jpg

PS

Oh it is so good!!! I used to be more a SF/Exile chap but this has definitely moved up on my list. It is the darkest sleaziest album of all time. Jagger has this wonderful way at writing oblique sleaze.

Let It Bleed has always been far and away their best album to me. Admittedly its always tied neck and neck with Sticky Fingers, which is also incredible (Exile, as great as it is, is too bloated to stand up with those two). Let It Bleed is just so god damn good. The ONLY negative is Country Honk, which I can forgive and is actually quite good once you get into it, but it sticks out in contrast. What I love, in addition to the lyrics you mentioned, is the guitar playing. Its the only album thats ALL Keith on guitars, and I love that. The album is filled with so many classic and great licks and riffs and they all belong to Keith. He really showed up on that record and made a classic. That album is Jagger and Richards at their pinnacle for me. You can't get better than Gimme Shelter opening and You Can't Always Get What You Want closing, and the gems like Monkey Man, You Got The Silver (a personal favorite of mine), Let It Bleed. Stone cold classics like Midnight Rambler and Live With Me. The beauty that is Love In Vain. They don't make albums like that.

And while most of the same could be said of Sticky Fingers, Let It Bleed has always edged it out for me.

I'm listening to a bootleg boxset, Hendrix, Box of Gypsys, all four nights of the Fillmore East gigs he did with Buddy Miles and Billy Cox, the sa,e nights that produced the official Band of Gypsys.

let-it-bleed-600x537.jpg

PS

Let It Bleed has always been far and away their best album to me. Admittedly its always tied neck and neck with Sticky Fingers, which is also incredible (Exile, as great as it is, is too bloated to stand up with those two). Let It Bleed is just so god damn good. The ONLY negative is Country Honk, which I can forgive and is actually quite good once you get into it, but it sticks out in contrast. What I love, in addition to the lyrics you mentioned, is the guitar playing. Its the only album thats ALL Keith on guitars, and I love that. The album is filled with so many classic and great licks and riffs and they all belong to Keith. He really showed up on that record and made a classic. That album is Jagger and Richards at their pinnacle for me. You can't get better than Gimme Shelter opening and You Can't Always Get What You Want closing, and the gems like Monkey Man, You Got The Silver (a personal favorite of mine), Let It Bleed. Stone cold classics like Midnight Rambler and Live With Me. The beauty that is Love In Vain. They don't make albums like that.

And while most of the same could be said of Sticky Fingers, Let It Bleed has always edged it out for me.

There are simply not enough superlatives. Even Delia's cake looks appetizing!

It is ironic because the band were in disarray. The album basically straddles the Jones-Taylor switch, with Richards picking up the lion's share of guitars, yet they produced their most cohesive album yet!

• Like 1

Electric Light Orchestra - ELO 2

Electric Light Orchestra - Eldorado

Electric Light Orchestra - Alone In The Universe

Billy Joel - Streetlife Serenade

Patti Smith - Easter (twice)

Patti Smith - Wave (twice)

The Zombies - Still Got That Hunger

The Rolling Stones - Shine A Light (disc 2)

The Strypes - Snapshot

The Strypes - 4 Track Mind

Mott The Hoopes - All The Young Dudes

Mike Birbiglia - My Girlfriend's Boyfriend

Graham Bond Organization "One night at Klooks Kleek" October 26, 1964........featuring Ginger Baker and Jack Bruce

John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers featuring Eric Clapton (Beano album)......Jack Bruce played briefly in the band and plays on 5 tracks of the 2006 40th Anniversary Deluxe Edition

• Like 1

Carnival Of Souls by Kiss, you know all this "What will happen to CD2 if the band reunite" brought me back to it and I'm kinda liking it. Maybe it's because I listened to regular Kiss -minus soul asylum and Elder - so much that I got tired of it and it feels refreshing.