Axl's performance in recent shows

Am I the only one who thinks Axl sounds absolutely awesome in recent gigs?!? Haven't looked through many pages but I haven't noticed all that much praise from what i've seen.

I've checked out videos from some of the Vegas gigs and he seems to be getting better and better each time. Thought buenos airies was pretty good, and the first few in vegas I was quite please with, but i'm so impressed with the more recent ones.

Don't think i've seen any from the latest gig just yet (31st) but the ones i've been watching now were from the previous one, on the 30th I think. Wow. Just watched Dont Cry, which was amazing throughout. Most of Rosie was awesome, bit of Mickey here and there but the scream at the end was phenomenal. It's So Easy and Nightrain sounded epic. Live n Let Die sounded incredible a couple of nights ago, not sure which gig I was watching, one of the best screams i've ever heard though. Jungle sounding good as always, Better sounded really good, etc.

Don't want to jump the gun but he's starting to sound the best i've heard since 2010 in most songs. Bit of mickey here and there in some songs but not too bad, more powerful though and a lot more rasp. Really enjoying watching gigs again whereas over the past year or two i had been getting quite bored/unimpressed. Also glad he's taking the hat and shades off more too, adds something extra to the gig when you can actually see him, and he looks more like his old self.

Does this prove he can bring out the rasp whenever he wants? Certain parts of certain songs he does it. It's not like it's really inconsistent or anything, it seems like he's very much in control. And for example, the past couple of years, he didn't use rasp in Don't Cry. The last few gigs, it's up there with the best i've ever heard. Well, when he goes higher, it's not as raspy as before, but the "please remember" part I mean. But again, he doesn't seem to try to use rasp in the higher part, and then it comes out strong again at the most powerful parts.

I'm just waiting for an epic You Could Be Mine now! And a Rocket Queen. Those two have been kinda lacking from what i've seen. Wish there were some videos of This I Love too, not sure what that's been like.

Edited by OJones90

He's just excercising his vocals more so his stronger voice comes out. That and GNR will be on break for a while after next Saturday so he can go all out knowing he's about to get a long break.

He's capable of using rasp but some songs like YCBM and paradise still get him. He doesn't trust his raspier voice on these songs for whatever reason.

He's sounding really good though and I'm glad. It makes YouTube videos fun to watch and I'm glad everyone in Vegas is getting their money's worth.

Nobody here cares much about how Axl looks or sounds (he is undeniably "much better" on both fronts lately).

They care that the list of songs they are reading from a three hour show they are not at is pretty much the same.

Priorities are a funny thing sometimes.

He's just excercising his vocals more so his stronger voice comes out. That and GNR will be on break for a while after next Saturday so he can go all out knowing he's about to get a long break.

He's capable of using rasp but some songs like YCBM and paradise still get him. He doesn't trust his raspier voice on these songs for whatever reason.

He's sounding really good though and I'm glad. It makes YouTube videos fun to watch and I'm glad everyone in Vegas is getting their money's worth.

Agreed. I don't think those songs sound toooo bad without rasp, and he's sounding a bit better lately even without rasp, but yeah, ycbm with full on rasp has always been a favourite of mine and i do miss it. Same goes for sweet child, i don't think it sounds that bad without rasp (he can pull it off most of the time) so im not that bothered but of course, it would sound better with it. Some songs just need it though, for example Jungle and Nightrain.

You're not the only one who's noticing this but you may be of the fewer who goes "vocal" about it, because you know, this place is full of jerks and "hard to please" sexy girls, who will never tell you Axl is great lately because they have dehumanized and idolized the man to the point of not wanting to accept he has aged. I would not be surprised if one these people who roam this forum one day goes Chapman on our Ax.

That said, the last 3 Vegas gigs have been ABSOLUTELY AMAZING experience for anyone attending the shows. A very good friend of mine couldnt ask for more last night, and actually went home having had the "night of my life".

I am glad for Axl and the fans attending this residency. Setlist may be obsolete but actually being there and the whole Vegas vibe it is something you just have to experience in real life ;)

Nobody here cares much about how Axl looks or sounds (he is undeniably "much better" on both fronts lately).

They care that the list of songs they are reading from a three hour show they are not at is pretty much the same.

Yeah, it's pretty stupid. Don't see why people moan so much about the setlist, it's pretty much perfect, in my opinion. I'm a fan of everything on it, what would they drop? There are some decent songs they haven't played in years, but they're not as good as the ones being played in my opinion, and the fans in attendance would probably be disappointed if something was dropped. I'd probably throw in You're Crazy a little more, and There Was A Time, maybe a bit of Think About You, but that's about it. Don't really want anything to get dropped for those either, and i don't know what I'd drop if we did get new music.

Sorry about the double post, this site on mobiles is f'n awful lately!

No, no, no :thumbsdown:

Some of us do care how he looks, especially those of the female variety.

He sounds great when you're there as you're so caught up in the show & the fans you meet around you. Didn't care that he sang the same songs when I went, I just wanted the live experience & it more than met my expectations.

I've been to so many concerts that I've enjoyed but GNR was the best I've been to. Don't care what anyone says, I couldn't take my eyes off Axl & the photos of him with fans minus all that gear shows how great he really looks. :heart:

Yeah, Axl's been sounding really good from all of the Vegas footage I've watched.

As good as you could realistically expect at this point.

It's funny though, because Golden Gods had me believing that the Ax man

was potentially done. I definitely wasn't expecting this kind of turnaround at

Vegas.

I think it can probably be partially attributed to him playing his vocals into shape through

the SA Tour, that and performances no doubt vary based on how he's feeling emotionally/physically.

You look at something like Bridge School / GG and can obviously tell that Axl's trying to

make it happen but just can't. Duff being on board really helped lift Axl's spirit and the

performances reflected that. Duff is one of Axl's peers, not just a Yes-Man, Axl doesn't

feel like he owes the current lineup anything, so they can't really challenge anything that

he does.

Yeah, it's pretty stupid. Don't see why people moan so much about the setlist, it's pretty much perfect, in my opinion. I'm a fan of everything on it, what would they drop? There are some decent songs they haven't played in years, but they're not as good as the ones being played in my opinion, and the fans in attendance would probably be disappointed if something was dropped. I'd probably throw in You're Crazy a little more, and There Was A Time, maybe a bit of Think About You, but that's about it. Don't really want anything to get dropped for those either, and i don't know what I'd drop if we did get new music.

I agree it's a pretty damn good setlist for anyone who is a big fan of the band but maybe hasn't seen them multiple times like some of us have.

Honestly I'm always in favor of swapping covers and solos for more UYI material, or even something new if Axl's in good form (which he is at the moment). I even said recently I probably wouldn't go to any more shows until the set changes significantly. But I've also been to I think seven shows in the past seven or eight years, and it's a preference/not a complaint.

Fortunately, I'm probably going to have to go back on that and check out a Vegas show next week so long as he's sounding as good as he is, coupled with the rumors about the current lineup winding down. May as well see them while they're at their best!

No, no, no :thumbsdown:

Some of us do care how he looks, especially those of the female variety.

He sounds great when you're there as you're so caught up in the show & the fans you meet around you. Didn't care that he sang the same songs when I went, I just wanted the live experience & it more than met my expectations.

I've been to so many concerts that I've enjoyed but GNR was the best I've been to. Don't care what anyone says, I couldn't take my eyes off Axl & the photos of him with fans minus all that gear shows how great he really looks. :heart:

This! Plus, to be honest, most posters sound much more positive now his voice is obviously much better than before. Posters who thought he was okay, think he's amazing now; posters who thought he was terrible, call it okay now, so I definitely think there's a more positive vibe.

The setlist is a bit of a bummer. I think no one can deny that. No one's expecting ten new songs, not even two or three, but it would be nice if they'd put a few new old songs in there. I don't think that's too much to ask actually. I would be over the moon if I could go to Vegas, and I would have a great time, no doubt, but that doesn't mean you can't make a comment about the lack of variety in the setlist.

• Like 1

I live in Scotland, and I can't afford to fly to Vegas for a gig, so that's why I care about the setlist - show a bit of diversity and I might pay out to go and see them if they're in the UK again, otherwise, it's practically the same setlist I seen in 02 or 06, and with Axls weaker vocals and a band I'm not fond of then unless they're really mixing up the set then I have no interest in going to see them. That's why I care about the setlists.

Am I the only one who thinks Axl sounds absolutely awesome in recent gigs?!?

I wouldnt say he sounds absolutely awesome, but in some songs he sounds decent or acceptable. In 2010 he sounded amazing in my opinion.

Philly'12 was very good, last gigs some songs' been decent. But no one gives me goosebumps like Axl, even if he only sounds "decent".

Edited by stanleyjp

He sounds now so good even in Youtube, that he for sure is blowing people away

who are there in person.

Go to see him if you can. There is nobody else who can sing with that much

charisma (that I know about).

He sounds now so good even in Youtube, that he for sure is blowing people away

who are there in person.

Go to see him if you can. There is nobody else who can sing with that much

charisma (that I know about).

Have you been to any other music concerts in your life?

There are tons of singers who put that as much emotion and charisma into their performances as Axl does. You are letting your fandom cloud your judgment of reality.

It's awesome that Axl seems to be getting better and stronger at every show. That's great for fans who are attending the concerts.

If he is reaching his peak now, it wouldn't it be odd for the band to then take off the next six months or a year?