"He’s begun thinking about putting the original group all back together for a global tour" - Don Marrandino

The logic that somehow Axl having current success would correlate to him thinking about getting the old band back together is pretty bad. As encouraging and enjoyable as stuff like full shows with Duff are, a reunion just isn't in the cards. Axl has worked for almost 20 years now to establish that him + anyone he decides is fit = Guns N Roses. Anything short of kicking out all current members and re-establishing the original band (not happening) will completely undermine any credibility the current band has.

if axl does a reunion i'll stop being a gnr fan. Integrity above all else

axl lost his integrity many years ago when he started using the name of a band that doesn't exist anymore.

That's funny, refusing to call it quits when the UYI lineup fell apart but stubbornly labouring on despite all the problems -- including those caused by his own shortcomings -- to continue with his vision of the band, speaks of integrity to me :shrugs:

And what would that "vision" be exactly? playing the same setlist filled with old Guns songs over an over and never releasing new music?.................that speaks integrity to you?......................really?

But it speaks of integrity to Axl. "Look, I'm keeping this ship sailing. I did it, without Slash."

Not too hard to keep the name going when you own the rights and are the top dog with a group of talented hired hands with you setlist heavy in the old Guns songs though....sorry but I don't see the integrity in that............. :shrugs:

You're just butthurt that he described why Axl has integrity. You lost this debate.

That's real admirable but I doubt Axl has your integrity. In the extremely unlikely event he found himself short of cash -- he'd let more than one original member join him onstage at a time.

Also - I have no fucking idea how an original Guns reunion would have anything to do with integrity. It's not as if Axl discovered the other four were chopping up babies. Everyone left, one by one, because he was a fucking nightmare. If they choose to reunite, it's not because Axl has sacrificed his integrity, but because the other guys decide to just move on. And Steven needs money. Although I think Matt would qualify as a reunion.

None of which matters because this won't ever happen because it would mean that there actually is an original GNR and people want to see them, and Axl would never allow reality to poke its nose under the tent like that.

axl lost his integrity many years ago when he started using the name of a band that doesn't exist anymore.

That's funny, refusing to call it quits when the UYI lineup fell apart but stubbornly labouring on despite all the problems -- including those caused by his own shortcomings -- to continue with his vision of the band, speaks of integrity to me :shrugs:

And what would that "vision" be exactly? playing the same setlist filled with old Guns songs over an over and never releasing new music?.................that speaks integrity to you?......................really?

I never claimed he fulfilled his vision. I don't even clearly know what his vision is/were. Perhaps this is what he wanted to achieve, perhaps his vision changed. Still, he has stubbornly fought for it despite all the problems without accepting any compromises. And yes, that is integrity to me.

EDIT: It might be that people look at the end result of what Axl has achieved and doesn't like it, and then say that integrity couldn't possibly lead to this shit. That's not right. Integrity is a description of HOW you operate and not what you accomplish. And if anything, Axl seems to be true to himself his beliefs and how he views the world all the way - for better and for worse.

Edited by SoulMonster
  • Like 1

Financially, Axl gains nothing from a reunion tour that he can't get with the current lineup. If he decided to make 100 million dollars and retire from music, he can find a way to "scrape" it together in corporate gigs.

Nonsense.

One year on the road with a reunited band and he'd have made the same coin as 3-5 years out with the current band. Being the lead guy in front of 80,000 people and all of the merch that will bring easily out sells 10 nights playing to 2000 drunk Las Vegas couples and stag parties.

That original lineup are a force of nature; put that with their cult of personality on that stage and the whole spectacle would be off the charts. That fascination with them as people is the added extra is something the current guys were never let develop with the fans and with the huge absence of a musical hit to their name as GNR, it now means that in the public concscience they have never fully displaced anybody from their position in the old band.

If the old band came back with their internal wars over with Axl singing well & playing good shows (which they would), in about two weeks the "nuGuns" band would be a soggy memory and mostly all us would be drinking the Original GNR CoolAid with gusto.

There are many situations in music where people are forgotten and displaced with shocking speed. This is no exception.

• Like 2

Financially, Axl gains nothing from a reunion tour that he can't get with the current lineup. If he decided to make 100 million dollars and retire from music, he can find a way to "scrape" it together in corporate gigs.

Nonsense.

One year on the road with a reunited band and he'd have made the same coin as 3-5 years out with the current band. Being the lead guy in front of 80,000 people and all of the merch that will bring easily out sells 10 nights playing to 2000 drunk Las Vegas couples and stag parties.

That original lineup are a force of nature; put that with their cult of personality on that stage and the whole spectacle would be off the charts. That fascination with them as people is the added extra is something the current guys were never let develop with the fans and with the huge absence of a musical hit to their name as GNR, it now means that in the public concscience they have never fully displaced anybody from their position in the old band.

If the old band came back with their internal wars over with Axl singing well & playing good shows (which they would), in about two weeks the "nuGuns" band would be a soggy memory and mostly all us would be drinking the Original GNR CoolAid with gusto.

There are many situations in music where people are forgotten and displaced with shocking speed. This is no exception.

Axl doesn't want to give up on what he rebuilt and have people going "I told you so", and as long as he can still headline festivals and agree to private gigs, he has no need to do a reunion. A world tour would be more lucrative but then he has to agree to what Slash, Duff, Izzy, Steven and Matt want, and they're going to want more money.

The band dynamic that made them great is still there, it always will be. Any reunion show like The Police or Janes Addiction that had the full lineup - the dynamics were still there, even if they were older. The audience was a pretty subdued bunch though, but Perry's voice and Sting's voice still held up well. The band performed the songs well. I think GNR fans are still a crazy bunch because the audience doesn't age, and a lot of these shows have those crotchety "sit down whippersnapper" types, which I'm sure GNR has had at some of the seated venues.

But it speaks of integrity to Axl. "Look, I'm keeping this ship sailing. I did it, without Slash."

Not too hard to keep the name going when you own the rights and are the top dog with a group of talented hired hands with you setlist heavy in the old Guns songs though....sorry but I don't see the integrity in that............. :shrugs:

You're just butthurt that he described why Axl has integrity. You lost this debate.

LOL, oh mate everything is hating Slash with you......you are without a doubt the spokesman of the lunatic fringe Axl worshippers Teaparty............... :lol:

But if you consider milking the Guns legacy by fronting a tribute band and releasing one mediocre album in 14 year as having a "vision" and "integrity" then I guess you are correct I did lose the debate............... ;)

Edited by classicrawker

I really think all of this is just PR being put out by nugnr. They know what gets the headlines and people talking.

talking on how the nu band should break up or how much they suck ? yeah great pr

PR isn't only about saying good things, it's about generating awareness through hype. You do that know a lot of controversies are created by a celeb's own people? That may not be the case here, but it's suspect that all these rumours started around the time of the residency; Axl retiring after the residency, BBF quitting after the residency. All of it drawing attention to the fact that nugnr are playing a residency at Vegas. That's how PR works. It's not just about doing fluffy interviews for magazines and appearing on talk shows.

• Like 3

I really think all of this is just PR being put out by nugnr. They know what gets the headlines and people talking.

talking on how the nu band should break up or how much they suck ? yeah great pr

PR isn't only about saying good things, it's about generating awareness through hype. You do that know a lot of controversies are created by a celeb's own people? That may not be the case here, but it's suspect that all these rumours started around the time of the residency; Axl retiring after the residency, BBF quitting after the residency. All of it drawing attention to the fact that nugnr are playing a residency at Vegas. That's how PR works. It's not just about doing fluffy interviews for magazines and appearing on talk shows.

"There is no such thing as bad publicity except your own obituary".............Brendan Behan

LOL, oh mate everything is hating Slash with you......you are without a doubt the spokesman of the lunatic fringe Axl worshippers Teaparty............... :lol:

But if you consider milking the Guns legacy by fronting a tribute band and releasing one mediocre album in 14 year as having a "vision" and "integrity" then I guess you are correct I did lose the debate............... ;)

Is it because Axl doesn't Rinestone the shit out of his gear and play with Ferguy the reason you hate him?

Is it because Axl doesn't Rinestone the shit out of his gear and play with Ferguy the reason you hate him?

Classic is a mature adult, who probably doesn't "hate" any musician.

He was a huge fan of older versions of GnR.

And he bases what he likes musically on how the music sounds to his ear. How the songs touch his heart and soul. He doesn't decide who he likes or dislikes based on who Axl Rose likes or dislikes.

That's how most of us operate.

I love the majority of what Axl has done musically. Still think CD is the best rock album of the last decade.

I love a small portion of what Slash has done. Couldn't stand Velvet Revolver, thought they were really boring.

My feelings on both artists is solely based on the sound of the music they have released. Their "feud" means nothing to me. And anybody that "hates" or "loves' something simply because of how Axl Rose feels..........they need serious help.

I have no interest in a reunion simply because Axl has beaten these classic GNR songs into the ground for the past 14 years. I mean realistically a reunion setlist would be extremely similar to what we have now. That just doesn't excite me anymore. I would much rather Axl joined Velvet Revolver because at least then they would be forced to come out with a new album before hitting the road.

I think your confusing stuborness with integrity -- the definition of integrity is "the quality of being honest and fair. : the state of being complete or whole."

the definition of stubborn is "having or showing dogged determination not to change one's attitude or position on something, especially in spite of good arguments or reasons to do so."

• Like 1

See the difference between you and I is I really don't care if you insult Slash as I don't know the guy and he does not need me to defend him while you foam at the mouth when you perceive someone has insulted Axl as if they were insulting your mother................ :lol:

Marrindingo is GNR!

Everyone take a deep breath, get the sand out of the pussy, and relax cause there isn't a GNR reunion coming today, tomorrow, next year, next lifetime.

Correct. But (what'll probably and unfortunately happen is when Axl is like 58 or older/ancient) is TB/mommy will realize "where is the dinero$$"? And tell little Axl it's time to call Slash and they'll reunite but it'll suck because Axl will be 275 lbs and have zero voice.

If Axl was asked to do it, I could see a 1% chance of him doing it on his own accord. I think the best of both worlds of keeping Nu-GNR and having a reunion would be a one off show of Axl fronting Velvet Revolver under the VR name. Why would they do it? Who knows, we have no clue what the actually dynamics of their relationships are like outside of bitter comments and neutered interviews.

If Axl was asked to do it, I could see a 1% chance of him doing it on his own accord. I think the best of both worlds of keeping Nu-GNR and having a reunion would be a one off show of Axl fronting Velvet Revolver under the VR name. Why would they do it? Who knows, we have no clue what the actually dynamics of their relationships are like outside of bitter comments and neutered interviews.

No but we can PRETEND to know just so we can bitch at each other on the internet! YAY!!!

Edited by Chris 55

Maybe Don Marrandino is just understanding whatever he wants to.

I think it's pretty fair and obvious to state that a reunion tour would generate 1000x times whatever Axl is generating with his band. So, I think he has discussed that with multiple people in the sense of "Yeah, we would definitely make more money, but it's just not happening". To say he's now considering it seems odd and doesn't make much sense.

A reunion will never happen and I'm fine with that. I want to enjoy Slash's music the next years. He doesn't need to be stuck in a band where all they do is cover other people's songs.

Edited by Nosaj Thing

I dont see the reunion happening,maybe with duff near the band would be converstations for sure about past and relationships,but Axl wont share the piece of cake,he just owns the name the money.

If there is a reunion i want a full reunion with tour and album.

And what would happen to the songs that axl recorded over the years?

the success of this residency will probably have only made axl more bullheaded in regards to a reunion, so if it's ever gonna happen, probably not for a long time.

the way i see it at this point, they'd maybe do a one-off performance years from now when they're all in their 60s or something, and the current band is dissolved and axl doesn't have anything to lose by getting on stage with them. but the day he gets back on a stage with slash, he knows it'll undo everything he's worked toward so far, so why risk it? that's why he didn't show up to the RNRHOF awards, imo.

exactly. Why would Axl go back to the old guns if he's doing well financially? We know he wasn't happy artistically.

It's true they'd be going back to a creative situation that wasn't working when Slash left.

Plus Axl probably gets 50% of new GNR stuff. Whereas who knows with a reunion, and people assume it would be megabucks, maybe maybe not. Creatively it's not that enticing. Like you used to be huge, now show us why, no pressure!

the success of this residency will probably have only made axl more bullheaded in regards to a reunion, so if it's ever gonna happen, probably not for a long time.

the way i see it at this point, they'd maybe do a one-off performance years from now when they're all in their 60s or something, and the current band is dissolved and axl doesn't have anything to lose by getting on stage with them. but the day he gets back on a stage with slash, he knows it'll undo everything he's worked toward so far, so why risk it? that's why he didn't show up to the RNRHOF awards, imo.

exactly. Why would Axl go back to the old guns if he's doing well financially? We know he wasn't happy artistically.

It's true they'd be going back to a creative situation that wasn't working when Slash left.

Plus Axl probably gets 50% of new GNR stuff. Whereas who knows with a reunion, and people assume it would be megabucks, maybe maybe not. Creatively it's not that enticing. Like you used to be huge, now show us why, no pressure!

A reunited GNR could lock themselves in a room and have an album in a weekend as long as the motivation was there and they can tolerate each other.