Should Axl have done overdubs for Appetite for Democracy?

Should Axl have done overdubs for Appetite for Democracy?  

116 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest Gunns

Catcher , like the seeker and used to love her sound ok ,cause they work with the cleaner , weaker 'old lady' voice.

I didn't think Better was all that good, I catch myself breathing for Axl as he seems to be marginally behind the timing for his vocal parts, which doesn't make the performance enjoyable.

Edited by Gunns

Where are u watching it from mags? Did u pay for it?

I'm just listening to the audio. Ask me no questions and I'll tell you no lies.

11. SOD - Not bad. A little too much clean voice for my liking, but it works OK for SOD. Axl's off beat a couple times during the song.

12. YCBM - I'm not listening to that shit again. :lol:

13. SCOM - Nooooooo! Skip.

14. NR - Already heard it. Thought it was bad. Axl's voice is very unsteady and inconsistent throughout.

YCBM and SCOM are terrible - is there really nobody within the gnr camp who has the balls to stand up and tell axl that he sounds shit and that releasing such a blue ray only hurts the new band?!

Yeah but there's one more thing to consider... if he can't sound better than this what can he do? Quit forever?

Between a rock a hard place-

I absolutely HATE overdubs. I will never listen to a "live" album that has fake vocals. It's false advertising. If you can't sing, don't professionally record yourself. That's why I sold my copy of Live Era, and avoided many Megadeth live albums.

I would agree that (with the exception of the end of YCBM), all those songs were average -> bad performances. Better isn't great either and neither is Rocket Queen.

The rest alternated between good and really good for me, some of it I'd even say was awesome. I think it just goes to show you're likely to project whatever impression you had carrying into it when you watch the final product though - going both ways. :P

That's not the best version I've "Better" I've heard. Frankly, I thought the versions from the shows on 11/23/12 and 11/24/12 that I was at were better. But, I liked "Rocket Queen" and "You Could Be Mine".

But, I would agree with the rest alternating between good and really good. Overall, it seems comparable to shows I was at immediately after this one.

Ali

unlike mike420 I don't think opinions can be wrong, they're just opinions, personal taste, etc. My opinion is that Axl should always sing with the voice that made him famous or not sing at all.

Wait, hold up. If I said your opinion is wrong, I apologize. Everyone IS entitled to their opinion. I just am coming from the perspective that when I bought the Tokyo 92' dvd my initial reaction was "Axl sounds awful." It really took me awhile to appreciate some of his singing on that dvd, and that was 20 years ago....

So I guess my expectations are different. I don't expect any singers in 2014 to sound like the album versions unless they are lip synching. Which these vocals are clearly LIVE vocals, and as a musician, I can respect the performance that Axl and the band put on. I think they played a very good if not great show.

16. Civil War - WTF, Axl? This is another weird one like ISE where the raspy parts are actually better than the low voice parts. He almost sounds like he's mocking his own low voice with the way he sings the verses. Rasp parts are good in some parts and decent for the most part when they're not good, even when he gets a little cleaner. If he wasn't singing like a moron on the low parts, this would be by far the best track to this point, possibly excluding Jungle.

17. The Seeker sounds like it always does. If you like it, you'll like it.

I don't know how someone in their right mind can say the Tokyo '92 DVD is crap....

Seriously.... what's wrong with you?

Have you been raised listening to Britney Spears?

Don't know you but anyone who was a teenager in the 90's will never forget how amazing the Tokyo '92 concert is and Axl, rasper than ever, is the Axl we grew up with. Nothing will ever beat that era, those performances, his wilderness.

I'm sorry kids. This DVD sucks major ass regarding performances. Now I find them all HORRIBLE. All of them. Not only Axl.

That SCOM is pretty bad.

Sure, the employees are doing their best cover work. But that's nothing to brag about.

Axl's vocals are weak and totally devoid of passion. There's no energy behind his performance.

These vids always make me sad because I think to myself "THIS is why you kicked everyone out and took over? This us it, Axl?"

I don't know how someone in their right mind can say the Tokyo '92 DVD is crap....

Seriously.... what's wrong with you?

Have you been raised listening to Britney Spears?

Don't know you but anyone who was a teenager in the 90's will never forget how amazing the Tokyo '92 concert is and Axl, rasper than ever, is the Axl we grew up with. Nothing will ever beat that era, those performances, his wilderness.

I'm sorry kids. This DVD sucks major ass regarding performances. Now I find them all HORRIBLE. All of them. Not only Axl.

I can't speak for everyone here, but I say the Tokyo DVD is crap because, imo, it is one of their worst setlists. Seriously, they picked the night where they played So Fine to release instead of the previous night where they played Locomotive :facepalm: What gets me is there are other concerts that are much better than Tokyo, such as Paris '92, that could have been put out on DVD but weren't. Did Axl sound great, yeah, but he did during the entire UYI tour. I rarely watch Tokyo these days, I'm far more likely to put in my Paris DVD.

20. UTLH - Meh. He sings both of the two first verses in the low voice instead of going into slight rasp on the second verse. Sounds fine although I like the voice change that usually occurs. Later rasp parts he does in clean voice. I don't like those parts at all, but they're not as offensive as other Mickey moments during the show. I'm looking at YOU "come the morning light". :max:

I'm enjoying your review mags. :lol:

I skipped KOHD too.

I'm such a fucking loser. :lol:

I've got the AXS broadcast on right now and Nightrain is just starting. This is the first I've heard it. I must have skipped it the first time I watched or something.

Thanks, Mags!

How'd he fuck up Estranged? That one is like always ok, I thought

Sucks because that is my favorite GNR song

You think Estranged usually sounds good over the past couple years? Yeesh. I totally disagree, but maybe you'll be pleasantly surprised then. Where have you seen a decent Estranged performance lately?

21. Patience - Pretty good. He starts to do that weird low voice thing again during the first chorus, but someone must have slapped him and told him to stop it. He almost pulls off the end of the sound. Right up until the last line or two where he goes clean. That fast transition from rasp to clean is always strange on the ears. Still, perfectly acceptable performance of this song. Speaking about Axl only of course. :lol:

so mags, this is basically an average show with "moderated amounts of rasp" throughout? is it worth listening to it? and by listening i don't mean paying for it.

I don't want to speak for mags, but I'd say if those two things you asked about are true AND Axl was in a good mood, joking around... it's worth a purchase :lol:

• Like 1