Anything Goes

Move to the City

Down on the Farm

Ain't it Fun

I.R.S

Madagascar

Back Off Bitch

Ain't the First

These are songs Axl would be able to sing and that aren't played often, so we the setlist would feature 10 of these songs + Hits (WTJ, SCOM,KOHD,NR,Estranged, Patience and PC) and maybe more three or four songs (ISE, RQ, CW,DC)

I'd rather have New Songs By A Misguided Sense of Entitlement

I Googled that because it was odd. It say fans of Prince have a misguided sense of entitlement

Is that you? Are you a fan of Prince. I liked Prince, he was ok. He went a bit weird though with that whole Symbol thing

I actually googled that to make sure I had the quote right (it's an axl quote to someone on this actual forum saying fans have misconceptions, fantasies and misguided sense of entitlement lol) and saw the Prince post, I actually love Lotus Flow3r, Purple Rain, Sign O The Times and Dirty Mind but I thought it was funny someone said Prince fans have a sense of entitlement when he is sublime at surprising the fans and actually creating music even if he doesn't release it all at once, he's outstandinly prolific.

''Your misconceptions and fantasies along with your misguided sense of entitlement don't dictate my actions.'' - Axl Rose

I actually googled that to make sure I had the quote right (it's an axl quote to someone on this actual forum saying fans have misconceptions, fantasies and misguided sense of entitlement lol) and saw the Prince post, I actually love Lotus Flow3r, Purple Rain, Sign O The Times and Dirty Mind but I thought it was funny someone said Prince fans have a sense of entitlement when he is sublime at surprising the fans and actually creating music even if he doesn't release it all at once, he's outstandinly prolific.

''Your misconceptions and fantasies along with your misguided sense of entitlement don't dictate my actions.'' - Axl Rose

Cool response. What can I say.

Prince was an interesting individual, very forthright and proud, yet very private. I am actually going to find a Prince forum and see what his fans say about him. It will be interesting to read.

Haha, random musings eh

He is ridiculously original and a born performer, his setlists are insane how he mixes them up and does two or sometimes three encores! He is apparently opening 'the vault' where he's been collecting music, despite releasing albums consistently over the last decade he's got quite a backlog I read. It will be interesting to see Prince fans bitching then compare it to how timid we are in comparison lol. I wish Axl could take a leaf from Prince's book...

On topic, I don't know what songs are left that I'd want this band to cover, they've almost pulled out all the great ones that are 'possible' to do justice, Coma, Locomotive, Perfect Crime, even prime Axl struggled imo with them though he certainly did produce some great performances. Not entirely sure on Loco. Right Next Door To Hell would be cool but that's a young, feisty man's song, then again so is Jungle and Nightrain... I just want to see where Axl is NOW in his live performances, using the last of that enigmatic fire to code out another riddle of a record with a more than capable band... the Civil War, Estranged, Yesterdays... even Prostitute and TWAT are now old classics, extremely welcome and when he gets into his stride during a tour there's barely anyone else who scratches the surface of that performance level (and the band deserve props too, but they're on clockwork 90% of the time with no recording to even go off on...) but 4 or 5 post 2007 songs, it's not much to create nor ask...

He is ridiculously original and a born performer, his setlists are insane how he mixes them up and does two or sometimes three encores! He is apparently opening 'the vault' where he's been collecting music, despite releasing albums consistently over the last decade he's got quite a backlog I read. It will be interesting to see Prince fans bitching then compare it to how timid we are in comparison lol. I wish Axl could take a leaf from Prince's book...

On topic, I don't know what songs are left that I'd want this band to cover, they've almost pulled out all the great ones that are 'possible' to do justice, Coma, Locomotive, Perfect Crime, even prime Axl struggled imo with them though he certainly did produce some great performances. Not entirely sure on Loco. Right Next Door To Hell would be cool but that's a young, feisty man's song, then again so is Jungle and Nightrain... I just want to see where Axl is NOW in his live performances, using the last of that enigmatic fire to code out another riddle of a record with a more than capable band... the Civil War, Estranged, Yesterdays... even Prostitute and TWAT are now old classics, extremely welcome and when he gets into his stride during a tour there's barely anyone else who scratches the surface of that performance level (and the band deserve props too, but they're on clockwork 90% of the time with no recording to even go off on...) but 4 or 5 post 2007 songs, it's not much to create nor ask...

It is great to see Axl and Prince in the same thread

I bow to your knowledge of Prince. I know nothing of him whatsoever, and it is interesting to read what you say about him. I will visit a couple of Prince forums over the weekend just to see what they get up to

It is also interesting to read people's alt setlist with the lesser known UYI songs. There is such a spectrum out there, it was a refreshing setlist Fergus had to offer

I bow to your knowledge of Prince. I know nothing of him whatsoever, and it is interesting to read what you say about him. I will visit a couple of Prince forums over the weekend just to see what they get up to

It is also interesting to read people's alt setlist with the lesser known UYI songs. There is such a spectrum out there, it was a refreshing setlist Fergus had to offer

Check out Purple Rain to start with, the guy is a musical savant imo. A lot of the conversation regarding Prince and Axl is due to the apparent hoarding of music they share (tho with Axl nobody knows the extent of what he's hoarding, BBF recently shot down rumours about Atlas Shrugged, an apparent track based on the novel that will appear on the next record, saying he has not heard anything about it since playing a solo a few years ago...... the mystery element between Prince and Axl but Axl imo has watered down his mysterious side by not doing anything new and now repeatedly touring a decade old album (if reports that the bulk of the songs were created between 2000 and 2004 are true)... Axl also has never expanded his musical ability and embraced other instruments, yes GNR is not an Axl Rose guitar orientated band but it's also not anything except touring the classic material plus 5 CD songs for aeons now.

Check out Purple Rain to start with, the guy is a musical savant imo. A lot of the conversation regarding Prince and Axl is due to the apparent hoarding of music they share (tho with Axl nobody knows the extent of what he's hoarding, BBF recently shot down rumours about Atlas Shrugged, an apparent track based on the novel that will appear on the next record, saying he has not heard anything about it since playing a solo a few years ago...... the mystery element between Prince and Axl but Axl imo has watered down his mysterious side by not doing anything new and now repeatedly touring a decade old album (if reports that the bulk of the songs were created between 2000 and 2004 are true)... Axl also has never expanded his musical ability and embraced other instruments, yes GNR is not an Axl Rose guitar orientated band but it's also not anything except touring the classic material plus 5 CD songs for aeons now.

Ok, sounds cool

Atlas Shrugged is an existing song. Go and ask the guy that wrote the story for the NY Times on CD if you want to know about that. I cannot remember what his name is, but he has heard the track and will probably know more than most

You should've read a recent interview by Bumblefoot where he said he barely heard any CD songs but had to compose solos and additional melodies for some of 'em but the people in the studio were scared of attracting Axl's wrath in case the songs got stolen lol.

'AXL ROSE BY REQUEST' would be interesting and more akin to the band situation of the last 6 years, he could've gone the route of Elton John or Bowie instead of carrying the gnr burden, if he was just Axl Rose yes he'd be playing clubs but surely he'd have better commercial viability/opportunities for exposure due to GNR being linked to the early 90's and far removed from the possibility (in the mainstream, not my, eyes) of legitimacy and relevance?

These By request tours end up with the band playing their greatest hits, which is Axl is doing for the last decade. Not really necessary.

I note there are some people though (from reading here) that would actually like to hear different songs from earlier albums, so it could work as a valid idea

You don't think there are loads of Metallica fans out there that want to hear obscure songs like "hero of the day" or "eye of the beholder". The problem is the majority of people going to concerts are either A) seeing the band for the first time Or B) a fare weather fan who only knows the singles. The end result is a set filled with the usual cornerstones, Metallica have only played two rare songs thus far, "frayed end of sanity" yes!!!! :) and "St. Anger" ...it's aged well?

A GnR one might work a little better, but the CD material would be out, and it would include the entire appetite album filled in with UYI I & II singles... I would go to see it, I'd vote for yesterdays, out ta get me, my michelle and pretty tied up as well as Shacklers as I'd love to hear it live... I'd also love to hear if the world but no way it would get past the voting stage.

possible if the band write up a 60/70 song set list and say A, b and C are set in stone choose the rest.

You should've read a recent interview by Bumblefoot where he said he barely heard any CD songs but had to compose solos and additional melodies for some of 'em but the people in the studio were scared of attracting Axl's wrath in case the songs got stolen lol.

He had to learn the songs just moments before the show. A roadie would play the music through headphones.

Only works for Metallica because the songs are voted by the fan club, not the general public. The fan club is worth it for Metallica fans because of the things they get out of it. The nightrain club not so much.

Not true. The songs on the Metallica By Request tour are voted for by the people who buy tickets for the shows, which is most of the general public.

Which is why their sets have been so boring. The general public wasted this opportunity to hear some rare, or never played Metallica songs.

If it was just the fan club members voting, you wouldn't see Enter Sandman in the set, you'd probably get some obscure song from Load that no one knows... :lol:

Imagine if Axl would to kind of what Metallica is doing. Having fans choose GNR setlist.

It would be fun to challenge Axl and to see witch cities would choose witch songs by vote.

Now i understand Axl could not do all past GNR material, but what if he selected about 30 available songs that he would be willing to do from all the GNR catalog and let fans vote.

Would be crazy to have songs that we haven't heard in a long time a every show would be fun and unique.

Impossible. Not even the musicians in the band can choose songs to be played, let alone the fans...

He had to learn the songs just moments before the show. A roadie would play the music through headphones.

Really? This is ludicrous but actually believable and it in fact makes it more digestible that no form of jamming or trading of song ideas has occurred between members of this band.

They can't do it or all songs from CD would be dropped. I guess Axl wants at least 2 songs to validate the whole mess that is CD, NuGNR and this decade-long tour.

Gotta keep deluding himself that he did the right thing by driving away izzy, slash, and duff and instead hiring a bunch of ass lickers to tell him he's always right.

Well I know they managed to get the Frayed Ends of Sanity played, so that had to be a fan club vote.

Like I said, the votes are open to whoever bought a ticket to the show, not just the fan club.

I think there was a massive petition for that one online, to get it played, so thats how they managed it.

They can't do it or all songs from CD would be dropped. I guess Axl wants at least 2 songs to validate the whole mess that is CD, NuGNR and this decade-long tour.

Gotta keep deluding himself that he did the right thing by driving away izzy, slash, and duff and instead hiring a bunch of ass lickers to tell him he's always right.

Why does it bother you so much that he doesn't want to work with Slash? Haven't you ever had a coworker you disliked? If you were as financially secure as Axl, would you continue to work with someone you didn't like? It makes no sense to me.

Why does it bother you so much that he doesn't want to work with Slash? Haven't you ever had a coworker you disliked? If you were as financially secure as Axl, would you continue to work with someone you didn't like? It makes no sense to me.

Slash and Axl are closer than "co worker" though. And if I were an artist, I'd want my art to be the best it can be. Nothing should take precedence over that imo. If I hated my guitar player, but that player and I created things like AFD? I'd man up and do whatever it took.

That's assuming you needed to do it. Axl is in a situation where he he can live in luxury for the rest of his life. All he has to do is tour the hits with his backing band every so often. Why would he decide to go back to working with a guy he clearly has nothing but contempt for, when the other option is so much easier?

Oh right, because of your fantasy of GNR reuniting and becoming genre-reviving rock martyrs. :rofl-lol:

Face it, it's a bunch of 50 year olds. Axl is a legacy Vegas act. Slash will never put out interesting music again. Duff' pancreas blew up. Izzy is a hermit. Steven is in and out of rehab to this day. GNR is dead.

Edited by bacardimayne

Slash and Axl are not even close to divorce right now, divorce would be as close a connotation as Venus and Canis Majoris are, right now. It'll take a lot of shackles and two foot thick titanium blast walls to reconcile them and even more exotic chains to bind them together enough to reach a functional tandem.

Only works for Metallica because the songs are voted by the fan club, not the general public. The fan club is worth it for Metallica fans because of the things they get out of it. The nightrain club not so much.

Ticket buyers get to vote, not the fan club. Which is exactly why the system doesn't work - I saw one of the By Request gigs, at Knebworth a couple weeks ago. The setlist was literally the most bland setlist I could imagine for Metallica (Though I guess I can't really complain since it was my first time seeing them):

Battery

Master Of Puppets

Welcome Home (Sanitarium)

Ride The Lightning

The Unforgiven

Fuel

Lords Of Summer

Sad But True

Fade To Black

Creeping Death

One

For Whom The Bell Tolls

Blackened

Nothing Else Matters

Enter Sandman

---

Whiskey In The Jar

...And Justice For All

Seek & Destroy

I'm seeing them again in a couple weeks in Montreal, and the setlist is almost identical as of right now; the only differences are Orion is in place of Fuel, and The Four Horsemen, Fuel, or Wherever I May Roam will be in place of Whiskey In The Jar. If you look at the setlist.fm stats for the tour, 9 songs have been played at every gig (That's half of the setlist), with another 5 played at all but one gig, and only a total of 30 different songs played across the 24 gigs so far. I'd hardly call that a success.

Maiden once had a "choose the setlist" tour as well when Bruce and Adrian came back (Obviously that was for the whole tour since they don't rotate songs), and that was hardly an exciting setlist either:

Aces High

Wrathchild

The Trooper

2 Minutes To Midnight

The Clansman

Wasted Years

Killers

Stranger In A Strange Land (Dropped after 4 gigs)

Futureal

Man On The Edge

Powerslave

Phantom Of The Opera

The Evil That Men Do

Fear Of The Dark

Iron Maiden

---

Number Of The Beast

Hallowed Be Thy Name

Run To The Hills

The only real rarity in that setlist was Stranger In A Strange Land, which got dropped very early in the tour for no real reason. Otherwise the Blaze songs are the only things noteworthy there, and that's only because the band likes to pretend 1993-1998 never actually happened.

If GN'R ever did a By Request thing, it wouldn't differ much from Metallica or Maiden; in other words it would be almost identical to the current setlists. Maybe with less CD songs.

• Like 1