Ask staff

UK SUBS

I, and a few others, have single handedly carried Guns through the 90s into the latter part of the last decade.

:rofl-lol:

This is what I'm talking about! Now the real crazy is starting to flow. Tell me more! :lol:

He's kind of right actually.

Hey, thank you

I get really upset with people on here speaking to me the way they do, which is why I overact sometimes. I don't think people realise how much time and effort I put into this band years ago.

With all due respect Mysteron, the members of staff here would quite rightfully feel the same way about the way you speak to them and the people who donate money to support the board. :shrugs:

• Like 2

I, and a few others, have single handedly carried Guns through the 90s into the latter part of the last decade.

:rofl-lol:

This is what I'm talking about! Now the real crazy is starting to flow. Tell me more! :lol:

He's kind of right actually.

Hey, thank you

I get really upset with people on here speaking to me the way they do, which is why I overact sometimes. I don't think people realise how much time and effort I put into this band years ago.

With all due respect Mysteron, the members of staff here would quite rightfully feel the same way about the way you speak to them and the people who donate money to support the board. :shrugs:

Excuse me mate, you're not staff any more: you can't answer his posts.

• Like 1

Everyone's missing the point. It's not about being "forced" to donate in order to post. It's about the fact that this forum is running entirely on donations and pennies of ad revenue, and at some point the well is going to run dry, unless another anonymous donor miracle happens.

I think, as unappealing as it might be, a free backup plan should be under consideration, as I don't see this setup being sustainable in the long term.

Edited by bacardimayne
  • Like 1

I honestly don't know -- Donations will dry up, mygnr store will raise a few $$$ but realistically I need to give serious consideration to moving sever company. Bear in mind if I moved to proboards or similar and had google adsense ID ACTUALLY BE MAKING MONEY EACH MONTH! and after saving this forum and pumping money into it, I'd like to meet anyone who would honestly begrudge me that.

Ideally -- I need someone onside who can come up with - and drive - advertising income/other resources. It's not my skill set, nor if they're honest if is particularly ER's and Forsaken's. Don't get me wrong they're super supportive but we need someone who has IT experience to really drive this. The door is open any any/all serious offers at this stage.

Chris had that background and we're missing his input no doubt, he's chipping in but it's not his bag anymore -- I'm super busy IRL as are the other guys. We're fighting to keep this going and I'm giving serious thought about a contingency (or specifically, a number of, going forward). Closing mygnrforum isn't one of them :)

Invision has a fairly decent free option. It's better than ProBoards.

Thing is, it all depends on the load. The size of the database, the complexity of the database transactions the frontend fires off, the amount of data they're supposed to search through and and the number of requests it get's both simultaneously and over certain periods of time. I have no idea what those numbers for mygnr look like, nor do I know what the free option can handle. But that's the math you need to do.

And the thing is, mostly that's done based on very high loads, maximums you want to be able to handle. If you don't, the forum might crash during extreme loads (i.e. when new material leaks or is released (yeah right) or when they kick Ashba out of the band #cantwait).

There's no right or wrong. Financially it might be a very sound decision to downscale your server and accept the fact that it might crash that once in a blue moon when the planets align and there's actual exciting GnR news

• Like 1

- If the site migrated to a new host, it needs a decent admin (better than me!) that knows the core technologies well (especially PHP/SQL). I appealed publicly a few times and didn't get any responses.

^^ This has been what I've been particularly worried about. Also like you said, the database migration would be huge and the process would be massive headache and grueling.

The current model is expensive but it's pretty much straight forward. But with the services it provides, obviously the price is there.

- If the site migrated to a new host, it needs a decent admin (better than me!) that knows the core technologies well (especially PHP/SQL). I appealed publicly a few times and didn't get any responses.

^^ This has been what I've been particularly worried about. Also like you said, the database migration would be huge and the process would be massive headache and grueling.

The current model is expensive but it's pretty much straight forward. But with the services it provides, obviously the price is there.

Exactly.

You're essentially paying the huge price for the support, and for Invision's server config (which is presumably extremely well-optimised).

You two are ruining the Ask Staff thread. Where's Damn Smooth?

:P

Just something I wanted to explain... since I remember as a mod thinking that Eric was lazy/stupid for not renting his own server and running the forum off it.

I just didn't appreciate the complexity or risks involved until I was in his position myself.