Ask staff

UK SUBS

Why was Volcano even banned?

You guys might want to make an official statement regarding Miser in order to avoid this barrage of "Why can't my favorite retarded banned poster come back?" posts.

We'd likely be making similar post about you had you not donated so much :lol:

Why was Volcano even banned?

You guys might want to make an official statement regarding Miser in order to avoid this barrage of "Why can't my favorite retarded banned poster come back?" posts.

We'd likely be making similar post about you had you not donated so much :lol:

I am mygnrforum.

• Like 2

What's the big deal about Miser being allowed back? People have always come back after being banned eventually. How many of you haven't been banned yourself? Besides, Miser is a much better poster than 99% of this forum's posters anyway, even if he's a bit repetitive with some of his threads.

Never liked volcano. Don't care about BBA, Tommy Meadow or Miser or whatever his name is. Broski considers this place "kind of shit" anyway and he said the mods basically begged for him to come back, he chose not to, I guess bacardi needs to convince him to return, not the mods.

So to get things sorted out, yes, we do allow for some formerly banned members to try again after an unspecified amount of time. Those individuals who were formerly banned, after a year or two in the wilderness, who can exhibit remorse for their previous actions can and will be given another shot.

I'm not going to get into any specifics about individual cases/members, but suffice it to say that not all previously banned members are given equal consideration. There are a list of banned members who will never be allowed back so long as the current admin/mod team stay in place. There are individuals who will, regardless of how long it's been or how much they've "changed" will never be given a second chance. We take it on a case by case basis. I'll concede this is somewhat arbitrary on our part, but at the end of the day, it's a GNR fan forum - this isn't real life.

Furthermore, those who are allowed back are on put on an extremely short leash. We recently changed the guidelines for formerly banned members. Returned members will not be given carte blanche when it comes to their forum privileges. For an unspecified amount of time, they will only be allowed to post in threads created by other members; they will not be able to start/create their own threads. They will work on a different warning point system. It works on a one-and-done basis. Members of this forum who are in good standing are allowed up to five warning points before they are banned. Returned members are given one chance, as soon as they're given a warning point they're banned. And they're banned for life. There is no third chance here (err, at least starting now). We do allow a path to redemption however. If the returned member can illustrate good behaviour over a period of time (determined by the mod team for each individual case), they will restore their ability to start their own threads. After another period of time, if that member shows that they can comply with the forum rules and not excessively antagonize other members, they will return to the five warning point system.

I hope this clears things up.

That seems harsh, especially considering how it seems as if some members get away with murder without as much as a warning. I guess kissing ass pays off sometimes.

Get on board or fuck off. jk

However, I've liked the Downzy administration so far. HV (and sometimes Subs) always took think too personal and acted butthurt whenever questioned.

Edited by Coma16

I wouldn't know, I haven't really seen them moderate other than this thing now. All I know is that in the past some members have seemed immune on here and have gotten away with anything. If that's still true it would be pretty unfair since the warnings are subjective and from experience biased in many cases. But whatever.

Do you count me as a returned member then? I wasn't actually banned last time I was here, I asked for my account to be deleted.

• Like 1

I wouldn't know, I haven't really seen them moderate other than this thing now. All I know is that in the past some members have seemed immune on here and have gotten away with anything. If that's still true it would be pretty unfair since the warnings are subjective and from experience biased in many cases. But whatever.

Do you count me as a returned member then? I wasn't actually banned last time I was here, I asked for my account to be deleted.

If you're looking for rhyme, reasons, or unfaltering consistency, you're not going to find it here. Admins/mods aren't robots (despite what the rumours of BS are saying :P), we're human beings who are susceptible to emotions. So it's unreasonable to expect that we aren't going to make judgement calls that hold up to scrutiny one-hundred percent of the time. It's not always easy moderating this place, so the best answer I can give you is that those who choose to give us a hard time and more work are likely going to get less consideration and leniency. When an admin/mod requests that a certain behaviour be curtailed in a PM, it's those members who spit back at the admin/mod and continue to act in that manner who will likely be given a harsher penalty.

The members you repeatedly ask for reinstatement were given plenty of opportunity to reconcile their behaviour with forum rules and guidelines. But more than that, they responded with disrespect and vitriol whenever an admin or mod reached out to them. And at the end of the day, some members have some real life issues that they need to sort out on their own. We're not going to play the role of their therapist. We don't have the time nor the inclination.

It shouldn't be that difficult to abide by forum rules and requests by the mod team. And for 95 percent of the members who post here, it isn't. But as is common in most organizations, a small minority cause a large majority of the problems. And we do our best to reach out to these individuals, but too often it's a lost cause.

• Like 1

Fair enough, I just know I've thought three out of the four warnings I've gotten here in my soon ten years here have been bullshit, mostly it's been about the person not liking me as a person or poster, so I could see how some people would consider it unfair if they were banned for similar things in the future, again, especially since I've seen some members here get away without any consequence whatsoever about things that actually break rules. Rules aren't hard to follow, but there is a problem when there are different rules for different people in my opinion. Oh well. Whatever.

• Like 1

I get that, but also understand that the vast majority people who sometimes break the rules back down when a mod PM's them and requests that they stop. It's the members who disregard the verbal warning and spew vitriol back that run into problems that will eventually lead them to being suspend/banned.

I think it's more than fair, really. I mean, this forum isn't a Democracy. It has some Democratic elements but ultimately it's up to a few guys who make the rules. You know, they could be really harsh and just say no formerly banned people are allowed back ever, for no reason. But they're basically giving sort of a reasoned 'clemency' for folks in the hope that people can change. I don't think it's playing favorites that some are allowed back and some aren't. There are some people who were banned who literally used this forum just to cupcake other members or attempt to make people feel shamed for loving the new band or enjoying the old. It's a very fair decision. It's not corrupt, it's not like you can buy your salvation. It's being given conditionally and has to be earned fully. There's not a policy that they could've endorsed which would've been more just than that.

I would also like to remind everyone that anyone attempting to provoke or antagonize a member with reduced privileges will also be susceptible to warnings/suspensions.

It's fine to quarrel and disagree, but if you're aim is to provoke a previously banned member into an outburst that would get them kicked out, you might find yourself on the other side of the fence.

Thanks and be good!

• Like 2