Ask staff

UK SUBS

Why aren't more people warned/suspended/banned (or even have post hidden) for breaking rule #5?

Honestly, I can't even remember the last time I saw a post that broke rule 5. Examples? We'll take care of them.
As I see them moving forward I'll let you know.

Why aren't more people warned/suspended/banned (or even have post hidden) for breaking rule #5?

The rules aren't necessarily listed in priority. Breaking rule 5 doesn't mean a stricter punishment for breaking rule 8. And breaking a rule doesn't necessarily get you a warning point/suspension/banning. It's all about context.

Not entirely sure how the forum was moderated in years past (since I wasn't a mod back then), but the approach that I favour is to only use suspensions/bannings when members continually flaunt the rules and disregard warnings that are sent to them.

Members should also understand that as warning points are accumulated, less patience and slack is given to that particular member. A member who has zero warning points will likely be given a little more leniency than someone who has four or five. The reason being is that the member who has racked up numerous warning points and verbal warnings has had many opportunities to change their behaviour. The mod/admin team tries its best to manage this place without biases, but if someone continues to ignore verbal and formal warnings, they're likely going to receive a harsher punishment.

This especially applies to formerly banned members who are allowed to return. Anyone who is allowed to come back better be on their best behaviour and abide by the rules. Very little consideration is given for posters who scorn a second chance.

Moderating is not an exact science. There's a tremendous amount of discretion that's involved when deciding how to handle a member who breaks the rules. We're bound to make a mistake from time to time (as it says in the official rules), but we try to do the best we can. Some might say that this is unfair, but it is what it is.

• Like 1

Thanks Coma.

I've been meaning to write a few posts on this matter. I'm making it a goal of mine to be a little more transparent with how this place operates. People assume that because someone gets banned it's because they broke five rules. It's not that simple. Banned members who are out there deriding this place or certain moderators/admins were given every opportunity to change their behaviour. They chose not to and hence why they're not here anymore. It's a combination of breaking the rules and ignoring requests to change their behaviour that results in suspensions or being banned.

The bottom line is if a moderator or an admin requests that member curtail a certain behaviour it's up to that member to decide what they want to do. Should they ignore the request they'll be punished through an official warning point. Most often than not, warning points come with a 1, 3, or 7 day suspension. And the more warning points they get, the less consideration that poster will receive from the moderating team. It's not as though we get paid to do this job. So if a poster makes more work for us because they're being an asshole, that poster shouldn't expect a lot of slack from the mod team.

• Like 2

Why is Powerage going on a seemingly random old topic deleting spree?

Bring back use your illusion :fuckyou:

It was for pictures of GN'R members and MyGNR members and really any pictures we wanted, it's been gone like two or three days I think.

It's all part of our forum clean up. Some stuff will be restored in good time but there will be some changes too.

Just to clarify, I wrote a song explaining my feelings on the matter:

username - Every Thread You Make

Every breath you take
Every move you make
Every bond you break
Every step you take
Miser makes a thread
Every single day
Every word you say
Every game you play
Every night you stay
Miser makes a thread
O can't you see
How poor his threads can be
How my poor heart aches
With every thread he makes
Every move you make
Every vow you break
Every smile you fake
Every claim you stake
Miser makes a thread
Since he's been gone the forum has been so great
I dream at night we won't have to see his face
I look around no poor threads on this place
I feel so good and long for that embrace
I keep crying baby please
Every move you make
Every vow you break
Every smile you fake
Every claim you stake
Miser makes a thread
Edited by username
  • Like 3

I don't know what is better- Username's song or Lith's response :lol:

Seriously, though, its Miser. He did his time, he's been gone over a year. Aside from a few racist and homophobic remarks he has been way more reserved since coming back on here. I just always thought this place was weird without him posting.