Ask staff

UK SUBS

Yeah, we have our own server at work to host our site and we have a tech guy who we pay to be on call.

Hopefully during a call he comes to work and heads straight to the computer area and he doesn't make any pit-stops to say "hello" and "good morning" to any of the female staff!

• Like 1

Yeah, we have our own server at work to host our site and we have a tech guy who we pay to be on call.

Hopefully during a call he comes to work and heads straight to the computer area and he doesn't make any pit-stops to say "hello" and "good morning" to any of the female staff!
He's an IT tech support guy. He's not saying hello to any women that isn't the mummified corpse of his mother. :lol:

He's an IT tech support guy. He's not saying hello to any women that isn't the mummified corpse of his mother. :lol:
Lol. He works remotely so I'm safe. We have pepper spray for the postie though.
  • Like 2

I would think that would still be more cost effective then splurging $4k every year. I mean, how much does a service call cost? Maybe $100? It would take 40 service calls a year to reach $4000.

You should ask your work how much it costs to upkeep the server with a guy on call....see if it would make sense to do it here or not.

Edited by Kasanova King

I would think that would still be more cost effective then splurging $4k every year. I mean, how much does a service call cost? Maybe $100? It would take 40 service calls a year to reach $4000.

You should ask your work how much it costs to upkeep the server with a guy on call....see if it would make sense to do it here or not.

It's not just an issue of server maintenance but also the forum architecture. Unless we move to freeboards, which isn't ideal, it would still cost a great deal more to build our own. Comparable software is similarly priced. It's not just a matter of buying a server and off we go.

It's not just an issue of server maintenance but also the forum architecture. Unless we move to freeboards, which isn't ideal, it would still cost a great deal more to build our own. Comparable software is similarly priced. It's not just a matter of buying a server and off we go.

Gotcha.

What a racket....lol....get paid 4k a year to host one message board. I'm in the wrong line of work! :lol:

Actually, you can buy a license for IP Board and run it on your own server. One-off cost, it's around $200. It's not the software that costs the site each month; it's the support.

You could rent a powerful dedicated server for a fraction of the existing monthly costs... but then you have to install Linux, PHP, mySQL and IP.Board, configure it all and then migrate the 3 million posts and all the accounts with it.

Then it needs to be tested, settings get adjusted and tweaked to provide optimal performance, etc etc... Invision don't give out their server configs, so someone would need to know what they were doing to do all that.

It would be the most viable way to run this forum long-term. The problem is finding someone who can do all of that, who's already a member of the community, and is willing to take on the job. When the forum goes down, that one person would have to be the one working to get it back up. Any time there's an issue, or small problem - it's up to them to fix it. The way things are now, Invision support handle all of that.

I've said before, I'd have done it - but I'm a Windows admin, and IP Board doesn't perform very well on it.

Actually, you can buy a license for IP Board and run it on your own server. One-off cost, it's around $200. It's not the software that costs the site each month; it's the support.

You could rent a powerful dedicated server for a fraction of the existing monthly costs... but then you have to install Linux, PHP, mySQL and IP.Board, configure it all and then migrate the 3 million posts and all the accounts with it.

Then it needs to be tested, settings get adjusted and tweaked to provide optimal performance, etc etc... Invision don't give out their server configs, so someone would need to know what they were doing to do all that.

It would be the most viable way to run this forum long-term. The problem is finding someone who can do all of that, who's already a member of the community, and is willing to take on the job. When the forum goes down, that one person would have to be the one working to get it back up. Any time there's an issue, or small problem - it's up to them to fix it. The way things are now, Invision support handle all of that.

I've said before, I'd have done it - but I'm a Windows admin, and IP Board doesn't perform very well on it.

Well, I stand corrected. Thanks HV.

So, anyone up for the task? :P

Well, I stand corrected. Thanks HV.

So, anyone up for the task? :P

I never miss an opportunity to bring it up... just in case that person is hanging around somewhere.... :lol:

Why don't you guys look for the chance to migrate to a free plataform (without losing any data)? I'm sure you would find that "person" for a small fraction of what you pay every year for this forum ...

s2.JPG?version=1&modificationDate=134201

Why the hell there is no unsubscribe button to this forum dammit,i want to get rid off some threads from my profile,ITS SO DIFFICULT TO HAVE AN unsubscribe button?????? Follow/unfollow doesn't work. <_<:thumbsdown:

Are you still talking about the list that shows up when you hit the "find content" button in your profile?

They aren't threads you've "subscribed" to, they're threads you've posted in. If you don't want them to show up, go back and delete all your posts.

The button is there for when someone wants to read your history of posts or threads.... so naturally, you can relax - nobody would have been bothering to click on yours.

• Like 4